No More Conventions! ( For Me)

by EmptyInside 17 Replies latest jw friends

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Conventions are over for me. I am free now.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Why, EmptyInside, I think you've just blossomed into a full fledged apostate!

• wasblind
    wasblind

Convention free scince 2008

Another day in the park

you'd think it was the fourth of July

• finally awake
    finally awake

dragging 2 little kids to the 3 day conventions was a real pain in the rear. my oldest was just shy of a year old and i was pregnant with the second one when we went to our first 3 day. it didn't get any easier - just different kinds of hassle and aggravation as they got older. probably the easiest year was the one when they were 7 and 5 1/2, but it was still not any fun. then when our youngest was born, i just flat out couldn't handle it anymore. i remember while i was pregnant attending the spring assembly and of course we couldn't get seats near the end of a row. i had to use the bathroom frequently, being 6 or 7 months along, and *no one* would move their crap out of the way on the floor or move their legs enough to allow me to squeeze past. I didn't really look pregnant, just really fat, but my belly wouldn't squish so I couldn't just push through. I was humiliated and beyond upset that the "loving brothers" were so completely uncaring.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The last time I attended part of one of those wastefests was in 2001. It was not worth wasting the time.

Funny thing, people genuinely look forward to things that are actually good for the soul. Do most of us look forward to the Christmas tree going up? You don't go out of town or get the big disruptions, but it seems that things are so much better once the Christmas tree is up. I can remember every time one went up, it seemed to be so much more upbuilding than one of those Grand Boasting Sessions ever was. Especially if I got to watch, or better yet, help out (or even do it myself). I even feel more spiritually upbuilt by untangling the lights than attending a Grand Boasting Session.

Contrast: Those Grand Boasting Sessions were such a waste of my time. I would get there, mope through the program, and then the relief when it all comes down (I never did like it when the Christmas tree finally came down). Nor did I look forward to the extra field circus in advance of these Grand Boasting Sessions and/or the REJECT Astaroth Parties. None of that is good for the soul, since you are being told that anything that works with nature is a sin.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I'm so relieved not having to go to another convention.

Me too. Hated those things. Last time I went was 2006.

• Quendi
    Quendi

My last convention was in 2005. I got disfellowshipped in September of that year and have never been to one since. The following year I did not attend because I wasn’t going to subject myself to the abuse of avoiding everyone. It felt strange, but I was already making the adjustment because I had refused to attend the foregoing circuit assembly for the same reason. I gave the special assembly day a pass as well. Now I don’t miss them at all and rejoice in having an entire summer free to do what I want and not somebody else.

Since I am single, convention/assembly attendance was never a problem. I always wondered how families, particularly those with small children, coped. I sometimes wondered how women did too, particularly if their menses had begun. How did they put up with the pain, swelling, bloating and other discomfort for the hours they were forced to listen to these boring talks? Then I recalled that even in ancient Israel, only men were commanded to attend the three yearly festivals. Women and children went along only if they wanted to.

Furthermore, it was only on the first and last day of the ancient festivals that there was a convention. The rest of the time apparently was spent in merrymaking, visiting friends and other relatives, and having a good time. I remember that my favorite times at Witness conventions/assemblies were visiting with others before and between sessions. The WTS knew this was true for many as well, but never saw fit to make these gatherings anything but joyful occasions.

Quendi

• Emery
    Emery

I cannot wait until I stop wasting my time at these conventions. These conventions are just breeding grounds for JW singles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit