I wrote a D.A. letter

by snakeface 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• snakeface
    snakeface

I used to be very active int he organization, "high profile" so to speak. Always taking the gorup out in service, always having parts on the platform etc etc. Almost 5 years ago, I simply did not show up anymore. It's as if one morning I woke up and just decided never to return. I never looked back, never had any anger or regret or probably any emotion at all. All these years, no one called, no one came by...nothing. That was good because I didn't have to deal with anyone. I went on with my life, joined a church, joined the Civil Air Patrol, quickly found new friends and joined in holiday/birthday celebrations, and so on. Normal life. Io have not had any contact with any witnesses. None of my family are in the organization. Therefore the shunning policy is not an issue for me.

Only recently the witnesses started leaving things in my door. I think it started with the Memorial invitation. A month later, a magazine....later, a tract. A pioneer sister wrote a letter which was very friendly, and basically said, "We miss you..." and filled me in on some of the goings-on in the congregation. She was not "preachy" at all. It was as if I had moved and was now active in a different congregation, and she was just keeping in touch. Then about 6 weeks ago I received a similiar, friendly letter from an elder and his wife, with a tract enclosed. In closing he wrote, "We love you." After that, several times I came home to find literature in my door. The other day it was a convention invitation. (Apparently this area's convention is in mid-August.) I realized this sudden interest in me was going to continue or even increase, so I decided to nip it in the bud by writing a letter.

The letter was courteous and to the point, without any reasons/explanations/complaints expressed. I simply remarked that I received the convention invitation they left as well as the letters. Then I mentioned that this has caused it to suddenly occur to me that the congregation apparently is not aware that I left the organization several years ago and do not plan to return. I added, "I ask that the congregation refrain from visiting and from leaving literature."

That's it. I imagine 1 or 2 elders will respond, mostly to clarify what they think I said. "Do you understand that if you are saying you no longer consider yourself to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses an announcement must be made to the congregation....?" Or something like that. I will not agree to meeting with them. However I will suggest to them that if they wish I will write and sign a specifically-worded statement in order to bring closure to this issue, and mail it to them. For example, "I, [name], no longer wish to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses..." if they need it spelled out that specifically.

I doubt they would try to "reason" with me since my decision was made and carried out almost 5 years ago. If they considered me all these years to be "inactive" well then shame on them for not having made shepherding calls on me.(not that it would have accomplished anything, but that would have been the protocol for them to follow).

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So you're saying that this half-decade late campaign of "love-bombing" isn't going to convince you to go back to the Kingdumb Haul?

• darthweef
    darthweef

That's interesting that after 5 years they finally got around to checking on you .. LOL

I had a few people who checked up on me on a fairly regular basis right after I split, but when I didn't immediately "turn back to Jehovah" they all vanished in the wind. Then 6 months or so, the elders started back with the calls again. When I made it clear to them that I didn't buy the dogma, that I believed in Evolution, and that I was *GASP* gay... They stopped calling.

Recently they started up again, but just breif messages about needing to talk to me .. translation : we need to DF you cause we're bored on Friday night. I've ignored those, but it did make me wonder if I should remove myself from the equation and just DA myself.

Then I realize I just don't care enough to pen the letter and spend the stamp to send it. HAHA

• whathappened
    whathappened

I imagine this was a cleansing experience for you. It will be a relief to be rid of the unwanted solicitations. Good for you!!!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

It only took 5 years to call on you. Guess you were lucky up until!!!!!!!!!!

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Such love huh? Talk about shepherds "knowing the appearance of the flock"......5 years. How touching.

Nothing like leaving that 99 to retrieve the one sheep that has strayed.

This is a perfect example of why there is NO WAY this could be God's organization.

• simon17
    simon17

Hard to believe they weren't checking up on you. If not for just general concern or interest, at least you'd expect them to be pissed you skipped your assignments for talks, service groups, etc. That always brings an earfull!

• witchtowerwitch
    witchtowerwitch

i wouldn't waist my time trying to deal with these dangerous cult zombies ,both talking to or writing these a$$holes about your decision to leave the pedophile havens!Put a christmass tree out front,and an American flag on your house and car,and or, put a gay pride sign on your window,,,,,,,,,,,,hehehe,,,lol,,,?That will get rid of those scumbags,once and for all time!

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Very good ideas witchtowerwitch, you could also wear a big cross on your neck the next time they come to your door, it used to scare vampires away in previous centuries.

• nugget
    nugget

No one has checked on me for which I am grateful. Why they suddenly decide to focus on someone is one of life's mysteries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit