Why is this saying not included in JW wedding services?

by truthseeker 19 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

So simple, yet it could have prevented so many broken marriages if someone had just said something...

"Therefore, if any man can show any just cause why they may not lawfully be joined together let him speak now or else hereafter forever hold his peace"

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

HAHAHA think about it. if they put that in there, every logical-thinking non-JW relative in attendance would stand up and shout out all kinds of stuff. It would be HIGH-larious.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

They do say it.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

BP,

They do? I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying that I've never heard it around these parts. Maybe it's a regional thing? Personally, I think such a question would be inviting trouble, but then again, it's probably veiwed as a formality and nobody acknowledges it anyway.

I do recall their making a very clear statement that there SHALL BE NO RICE-THROWING, LEST THE SKY GOD SMITE THEE.

JW weddings are the worst, second only to JW funerals. Both sad, sad events.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I believe in some locations its a legal requirement, based on tradition and/or English law. I know they said it at our KH wedding.

• SophieG
    SophieG

It was said at my wedding. Why do I remember?

Because I turned around to see if anyone would speak up and stop us!

I have heard it a JW weddings. Trust me, aint nobody standing up to stop you from what you're about to do. I wish folks did though!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Apparently the saying goes way back in Church of England history, but is nowadays not a legal requirement, although it is still said at some Church weddings

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

BECAUSE I'M CARRYING HIS BABY!!!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Because 'worldly' guests would object to teen marriages?

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I would think it is a legal requirement to give any one a chance to claim the bride or more likely the groom. Probably comes from back in the days before Facebook, when a truck driver could have 3 families in 3 different states. If someone in the audience knew one of the parties was spoken for, this would be the time to share that information. Just my guess.. ahhhhh the good ol days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit