CURIOSITY HAS TOUCHED DOWN ON MARS!!!

by Quendi 68 Replies latest social current

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I give a good substantial amount to the United Way every year .

But lets not put focus on to one single individual.

This is more about the tax payers money and how and where it is spent.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Outstanding Public Debt as of 06 Aug 2012 at 09:57:15 PM GMT is:

The estimated population of the United States is 313,270,723
    so each citizen's share of this debt is $50,806.87.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
    $3.89 billion per day since September 28, 2007!

I guess 6 billion is a drop in a bucket for the States

• sir82
    sir82

At the rate at which humans are destroying the planet, extra-planetary exploration and settlement may be the only hope for preserving human culture & civilization.

One way to look at it is "spend 6 billion now to save [x%] of those who are starving now, or spend 6 billion to increase in knowledge which doesn't help those who are starving."

Another way, and the way I look at it, is like this:

"Spend 6 billion now to save [X%] of those starving now, and 100 years from now the earth is a wasteland and "Mad Max" looks like a prophecy, or spend 6 billion now to increase knowledge so that maybe we can avoid such an apocalypse, or at the very least enable some vestige of humanity to survive elsewhere."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Was the Apollo missions to the moon about scientifically investigating the surface or was it more about nationalist patriotic pride and ego

against the Russians ?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Instead of dedicating all the billions to either-or, how about putting it to a vote and splitting the funds proportionally?

Pie Chart

BTW, there is at least one African who does not want aid any more. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala on aid vs trade

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Instead of dedicating all the billions to either-or, how about putting it to a vote and splitting the funds proportionally?

We do. It is called electing representatives. We fill out our ballots, and deliver them via Canadarm.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

100 years from now the earth is a wasteland and "Mad Max" looks like a prophecy

But you don't have to wait a 100 years, there are many waste lands in Africa and other parts in the world.

Unfortunately some countries will spend billions on weaponry and space exploration to show their nationalistic strength/pride

and perhaps give certain leaders a supposed enlarging of their penises, but their population suffers from poorly supported

social programs, such as health and education . North Korea, India, China come to mind

• jgnat
    jgnat

lol, Canadarm. Have you heard about our latest contribution; a 17 million beer can?

APSX

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Have you heard about our latest contribution; a 17 million beer can ?

Screw space exploration I want that.

I'm expecting that it will open upon your command and pour into your mouth without even touching it..

Now thats what I call money well spent .

• baltar447
    baltar447

Nasa's budget is half a cent of your tax dollar. The advancements in technology and how they have impacted the economy are tremendous. Why attack NASA when so much is wasted on the defense budget. More is at stake. We need to advance our technology and colonize other planets so that we can make sure that we don't go extinct as a species. I'm all for cutting government pork and using the $$ wisely, just don't take it out of something that gives back SO much return.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sectionfront/life/from-cell-phones-to-computers-technology-from-nasas-space-program-continues-to-touch-everyday-life-350199/

http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/economics.html

http://thehill.com/special-reports/technology-july-2009/50201-numerous-benefits-of-space-exploration

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit