Another month, more snark: YPA 10/12 - What can I expect from marriage? pt.2

by corpusdei 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JeffT
    JeffT

Ran across a quote while doing some search engine evaluations recently.

In 1935 or so, a reported asked Walt Disney if Mickey and Minnie Mouse were married, or would get married. His response:

"There is no marriage in fantasyland. They live happily ever after."

• blondie
    blondie

What they fail to address is that there are so many more single women than single men in the WTS, that each year that ticks by from the age of 18 there are fewer and fewer single men, that while a 35 year old man can wed an 18 year old girl and little is said, that if a 35 year old woman marries an 18 year old man, a great deal is said...it's a scandal. Even an 85 year old man can wed a 22 year old woman at Bethel, only months after his first wife dies, and no one wonders why she did it...

That so many marriages where women marrying men and vice versa that have little knowledge of what it means to treat their spouses as people as Jesus treated the people in his life. That so many women are desperately looking for a husband, because in the WTS, women have no status as individuals, only as reflected through their husbands. Women are not called to Bethel unless wives of candidates or to marry Bethel men who are already there, with "heavy" jobs, or go to Gilead, or get the perks that elders get. I saw nerdy guys with trophy wives because of the status of Bethel and/or elders. (a few "exceptional" women get called to Bethel or Gilead that still revolve the status of some man, fiance or father).

I feel that happy marriages in any situation, jw or not, depends on how each spouse treats each other, with value and respect, supporting each other. I have seen happy marriages at the KH and outside the KH, and religion was not a factor unless that religion undermined valuing, respecting, and supporting each other.

• trebor
    trebor

What they fail to address is that there are so many more single women than single men in the WTS, that each year that ticks by from the age of 18 there are fewer and fewer single men, that while a 35 year old man can wed an 18 year old girl and little is said, that if a 35 year old woman marries an 18 year old man, a great deal is said...it's a scandal. Even an 85 year old man can wed a 22 year old woman at Bethel, only months after his first wife dies, and no one wonders why she did it...

I remember a CO where something like that occurred. I believe his name is Covack or Kovac...something like that. His wife passed away from Cancer (I believe); at her funeral he swore to wait for her until 'the new system'. A few months later he was dating this much younger 20-something. He was either in his 50's or 60's. A few more months go by and they're married. Many of the older ones in the organization - especially the women - were not happy and quite upset over this information especially in light of his vow at his former wife's funeral.

He transferred out of circuit soon thereafter, not sure what happen to him after that.

• corpusdei
    corpusdei

Thanks all for the comments, glad you enjoyed.

blondie>>

I wasn't aware of that. I always considered the local goth club to be the premier destination for deeply damaged women with severe daddy issues, but the more I think about my time in the Witnesses I realise the KH might be an untapped resource. With potentially less threat of retaliatory damage to my tires, in fact.

In all seriousness, though, I want to be surprised that the Witnesses seem to maintain the level of misogynistic control, I really do. It doesn't take much digging into the bible to see why, though, since the entire book seems to read like a manual for keeping women in their place.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Many people get married simply because they think it’s expected of them to marry by a certain age.

Or could it also be because so many hard core JW parents will not let thier grown kids move out of the house until they are married to a spiritually stong Dub? The single dubs just want to get the hell away from their weird parents.

expect my future spouse to . . .[ ] [ ] make me feel good about myself.
    I cannot believe they put that in print - what a stupid ass comment.

The average 10 year old knows that you have to feel good about yourself, no one else can do that task for you.

Corpusdei...Thank you for the great laugh. I need to remember to read your threads at home and not at the office - it is just too funny!

• hijosdelawatch
    hijosdelawatch

The problem with marrying in the Lord is that you have very few potential partners. Add to that, the fact that you can't be with someone too much time to know your partner with all that pressure to get married. And there's also the hormones factor.

With all of this, you have the perfect combination. In the three last years, I've know for seven or eight divorces, most of the with a non-biblical base. And all of them followed the same pattern: young people in their first 20s.

On the other side, there are those who don't find a partner, both men and women.

Blondie:

What they fail to address is that there are so many more single women than single men in the WTS

That's true, but I don't really understand it. I mean, there's the same number when they are 12-14 but suddenly in the 20s there are much fewer men. The reason? What I've seen in my area guys don't want to wait to find a girlfriend and women tend to wait more.

I also think that all this pressure coming from the family affects more to the women at that age. Don't really know.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    ... if a 35 year old woman marries an 18 year old man, a great deal is said...it's a scandal.

Blondie ...

Very true.

I wonder what the Hebrew and Greek words for "Cougar" are?

Rub a Dub

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I remember a couple of sayings from Bethel:

• Marriage is a three ring circus. The engagement ring. The wedding ring. And the Suffer-ring.
    • Single people wish they were married. Married people wish they were dead.
  • corpusdei
    corpusdei

Billy the Ex-Bethelite>>

Marriage is a three ring circus. The engagement ring. The wedding ring. And the Suffer-ring.
      Single people wish they were married. Married people wish they were dead.

To which I would add:

• A wedding ring is a symbol to any prospective suitors to give up hope, as the wearer already has.
    • A second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
  • linuxbob
    linuxbob

Trebor,

I remeber a C.O. named Kovak when He was the overseer for Long Island NY.

Must be the same because he was remarried soon after his first wife passed away.

Funny, during the one assembly everytime he gave a talk all the little kiddies used to cry.

lb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit