For those who've left - any regrets?

by starfish422 37 Replies latest jw friends

• starfish422
    starfish422

I left almost nine years ago at age 18; my only real regret was that I was good friends with a young brother and I never said goodbye to him, or even let him know that I was planning to leave (had to leave my parents' home secretly while they were at the meeting one Sunday; they had such a hold over me that I could never have stood up to them and told them beforehand).

I have no other regrets about leaving; I'm am now happily agnostic and SO THANKFUL that I found the strength to break free.

Anyone have any similar regrets?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Starfish: I have no regrets, other than I wish I would have read Ray Franz's book in 1983, and left immediately - upon getting the family out ... and not taken so much time interacting with the Elders as I ended up doing between 1992 and 1995 when I was finally DA'd.

Your story sounds familiar to me, and almost the same time frames ... but not quite ... if you were the same person, it would be interesting to compare notes now on the outside of the Witch-tower. ... anyway, its good you made it out, and that you have no regrets.

• gumby
    gumby

Hi Starfish. Yes and no for me.

If I had it to do over again and know what I do now I would have left differently. I would have tried to expose from within and been discreet about it.

As far about any regrets about being one (a JW )?
    Sometimes I think I'm glad for the lesson in life. The lesson has taught me a lot in life other than the JW's are wrong.

• roybatty
    roybatty

I only regret that I wasn't more honest and vocal with other JW's about my doubts. Never, EVER again will I stick to a belief system just to keep others around me happy. It doesn't work in the long run.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hi starfish :) i left about 9 yrs ago too at 17. my only regret is that a few of my family has felt the need to shun me over my decision. the pain has faded and now only occasionally do i get upset about my family situation. out of 4 siblings, two shun and two don't. i am too so thankful i broke free from that controlling religion and have able to live somewhat normally since then (HAHA)

harmony

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

The regret I have is not from leaving the organization, its that I sometimes miss the friends I saw week after week after week and the interaction with them. Even though now I realize that they were not real "friends", you kind the kind that stick by you no matter what, when you grow up as a JW you don't know that there is anything different and you feel smug and pompous because you have the "Truth" and other people do not and you also tend to feel that way when others are disfellowshipped or disassociated. I must admit that I have even shunned a few in my day, something that I now regret. Well I am all over that now and although it was hard to break away psychologically, I am so glad that I did.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

My only regret is not leaving sooner.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Liberty
    Liberty

No regrets! The best thing I ever did. You can't put a price on getting your life back.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

After reading COC, I stuck around awhile. After reading ISOCF, I realized that the doctrines were lacking also. I got out of dodge, pronto. DA.

I regret not “sticking around” longer to plant some seeds. However, some still come around, and I try my best!

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I left at the end of '85. Regrets no, pain, every once in a while. One time I was at a buffet style restaurant with two "worldly" friends (whatever!), and two elders and their wives were at the same restaurant. Now they hadn't seen me in years and one of the elders had been like a 'dad' to me. Three walked by our table looking straight ahead but my former 'dad's' wife turned to me and said, "Hi, how are you?" It was so kind of her, so Christ-like, but in contrast with the others it just exaggerated the situation. I felt like shit --even though I'm a happy person with great friends-- I didn't feel like eating and couldn't wait to get out of there. Hey, we're only human, right?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit