If disfellowshipping was abolished...

by iamwhoiam 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

...what would it accomplish?

A few thoughts running through my head...

1. The kingdom hall would be open to people who were originally df'd for apostasy, and therefore opening the door for debate without consequence (e.g. people spreading thier ideas freely within the cong without fear of being df'd/banned). Although i'm sure the KH can just call the police and have them removed due to disturbing the peace. Does anyone think this would happen?

2. The people that were shunned from thier family and friends because they were df'd for whatever reason would simply say, "fuck you friends and family!!!" Now that i'm not considered DF'd just because of some new light by the GB, am I just supposed to come back to you with open arms and say, "no worries"?!?

Your thoughts???

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I still would never go back to the Kingdom Hall. I'm pretty much anti-religion, period.

If I was approached by old friends and family, I would have an open door policy. Just because they shunned me, doesn't mean I have to stoop to their level. A sincere apology would be in order, however, and I would accept.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There might be some reuniting of dissolved and broken apart families.

I would also think there would be some loosening up of people's behaviors since they know there's no DF policy holding over their heads.

With that in mind the work load of elders counseling people would greatly increase every time they get

mention of someone misbehaving.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I suspect there would be an outflow of individuals who are stuck in this religion because of being held as emotional hostages by this policy. This might be offset by an inflow of unawakened DFed folks who are afraid of dying at Armageddon.

There also would be oldtimers, like my father, who would still practice shunning.

• undercover
    undercover

If disfellowshipping was abolished...

There would no longer be a need for ex-JW support groups/message boards/meet-ups/etc. DFing and the subsequent shunning is the main reason that causes hardship for those that wish to leave.

If there were no repurcussions for no longer believing, no longer attending, using your own conscience on the blood doctrine, holidays, or just no longer giving a shit, people would just come and go as they felt like it... like most other non-cult religions.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Yeah, the hardcore element of DFing is one of the elements that actually draws some to the JWs (or at least, doesn't prevent them from joining; or maybe some think, "that'll never happen to ME").

I think of JWs as the "Marine Corps" of religions, people who are drawn to be part of an elite ( in their minds) group, and are are willing to go just a step above what the other guys are doing, just to prove they can. Religious over-achievers, if you will.

That's exactly why some of the policys exist, to offer a head-line grabbing method at differentiating themselves (no blood, no birthdays, no X-mas, no military service, no flag salute, etc). Part of that requires kicking out those who fail to meet standards, i.e. those who "wash out" of basic training in the Marines.

No DFing means they have no means to enforce their high standards, and then you've got just another accepting religion ALA Unitarians.

BTW, the JW policy against associating with non-believers also places pressure on JWs to actively recruit from amongst their friends/family: that's the flip-side to DFing, encouraging others to join so they can continue to be the friends. Ugly stuff, really....

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I'm not sure I would want to have anything to do with those family members who have shunnned me. It has been so many years, > 20 years, that I no longer have any interest in them. I am refering to my beloved sisters. I am just

not interested anymore. I have moved on. I would not return to the KH; to boring and stupid for me.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Well for me if my brother said "oh I can now talk to you... new light" it would take me a while to warm up to him. As sad as I get at times that we don't have a relationship. It would be like oh I can't think for myself so the GB did for me and now you can be my sister again. I'd never go back to the KH. I'd still need a suport group. They damaged my life

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If they had the Truth, they could at least forget about the offense of Apostasy, contrary views would be no threat to them, but of course the reality is that they have no Truth, and so fear what "apostates" have to say.

I cannot see them even relaxing the shunning policy in any way, it is the only reason that a mass exodus does not occur, and they know it.

It marks them as not followers of Christ though, which prevents a lot of people who know about it from getting sucked in.

• pontoon
    pontoon

There would be a rush out the KH door before the Wtower ended. Like blowing a hole in the side of an airplane at 35,000 ft.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit