First there is a wall.. and then there is no wall.... and yet there is!

by Terry 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Inquisitively intelligent people know that 1914 was a marketing vehicle for the Watchtower Publishing house.

The most likely and probable reason the first president of this organization left, W. Conley

The inherent commercialization of the JWS and the WTS., much of this organization is founded upon a psychological illusion.

End Time prophecies, great tribulation prophecies, soon to appear Armageddon.....etc.

If this illusionary wall has little effect on to people they most likely will never become a standing member .

• tec
    tec

Good post and analogy!

It is a powerful thing though, in door to door. At least I thought so. "They predicted WWI?!!" Householders don't learn about what it meant before. I don't even think those coming to houses know what came before. I only heard about anything else afterward, and even, it sits there... coincidence, sure... but still one of those strange things that make you wonder, 'what if...?'. This alone would never have convinced me that they were false. Would only have given me some 'uncomfortable' feelings. (the camping excuse - invisible return - or was that someone else? - would have made me a bit more uncomfortable). I needed other stuff to 'see' that they were not God's organization.

Peace,

tammy

• Fernando
    Fernando

A very interesting and apt new spin on an old idiom!

WBTS followers can't see the trees for the forest!

Magic!

Wow!

• Terry
    Terry

"They predicted WWI?!!" Householders don't learn about what it meant before. I don't even think those coming to houses know what came before. I only heard about anything else afterward, and even, it sits there... coincidence, sure... but still one of those strange things that make you wonder, 'what if...?'. This alone would never have convinced me that they were false.

EXACTLY right! This actual real world event was huge and the JW leadership must cling to it with every scathingly clever trick in their book.

The context of the 1914 date setting has been propped up with extraordinary bending, twisting and illogic.

The Great Pyramid folly of Russell was maintained as actual proof even for Rutherford until he'd firmly established his own stranglehold on

the organization.

Compare the changes of measurement and dates below:

In his Studies in the Scriptures series of books he wrote:

"So, then, if we measure backward down the "First Ascending Passage" to its junction with the "Entrance Passage," we shall have a fixed date to mark upon the downward passage. This measure is 1542 inches, and indicates the year BC 1542, as the date at that point. Then measuring down the "Entrance Passage" from that point, to find the distance to the entrance of the "Pit," representing the great trouble and destruction with which this age is to close, when evil will be overthrown from power, we find it to be 3416 inches, symbolizing 3416 years from the above date, BC 1542. This calculation shows AD. 1874 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years BC plus 1874 years AD. equals 3416 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1874 was the chronological beginning of the time of trouble such as was not since there was a nation -- no, nor ever shall be afterward. And thus it will be noted that this "Witness" fully corroborates the Bible testimony on this subject..." (Charles Taze Russell, Thy Kingdom Come, Studies In The Scriptures, vol. 3, 1904 edition).

In the 1910 version of the same book, Russell changed his dating from 1874 to 1914, a date that Jehovah‘s Witnesses still hold to as relevant to this very day:

"So, then, if we measure backward down the "First Ascending Passage" to its junction with the "Entrance Passage," we shall have a fixed date to mark upon the downward passage. This measure is 1542 inches, and indicates the year BC 1542, as the date at that point. Then measuring down the "Entrance Passage" from that point, to find the distance to the entrance of the "Pit," representing the great trouble and destruction with which this age is to close, when evil will be overthrown from power, we find it to be 3457 inches, symbolizing 3457 years from the above date, BC 1542. This calculation shows AD. 1915 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years BC plus 1915 years AD. equals 3457 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1914 will be the beginning of the time of trouble such as was not since there was a nation -- no, nor ever shall be afterward. And thus it will be noted that this "Witness" fully corroborates the' Bible testimony on this subject..." (Charles Taze Russell, Thy Kingdom Come, Studies In The Scriptures, vol. 3, 1910 edition).

Why did Russell CHANGE the measurements?

Because he needed to shift his predictions and give himself much more leeway!

If 1914 were the END and the end did NOT COME he was proved a liar.

If he shifted 1914 so as to be the BEGINNING of the END....he bought himself time!

He would buy himself at least 40 more years!!

Rutherford ditched the Pyramid "proofs" 18 years later after the true context of Russell's writings had faded from memory in 1928.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Russell changed his dating from 1874 to 1914,

From Wiki ...

Russell was a charismatic figure, but claimed no special revelation or vision for his teachings and no special authority on his own behalf. He stated that he did not seek to found a new denomination, but instead intended merely to gather together those who were seeking the truth of God's Word "during this harvest time".He wrote that the "clear unfolding of truth" within his teachings was due to "the simple fact that God's due time has come; and if I did not speak, and no other agent could be found, the very stones would cry out."He viewed himself—and all other Christians anointed with the Holy Spirit—as "God's mouthpiece" and an ambassador of Christ. Later in his career he accepted without protest that many Bible Students viewed him as the "faithful and wise servant" of Matthew 24:45, and was described by the Watch Tower after his death as having been made "ruler of all the Lord's goods".

And thats why Russell should be seen but nothing but a cunning and deceiving charismatic charlatan, publicly propping himself up as

recognized truth inspired bible interpreter . He applied his already established skills as a salesman entrepreneur to one of a religious book publisher

and took all the notoriety for himself . He utilized the already established basic belief in the bible from the public to exploit to his favor.

A turn of the century fear mongering charlatan was what he really was, capitalizing on people's own inherent inner fears and ignorance,

very similar in the way the WTS still operates today.

• Terry
    Terry

I look at everything Russell did and think of that young boy who hated the idea of Hell so much he just refused to believe in it.

He searched for a way to reason his way around it and never stopped thinking about proving and disproving according to his whims.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit