Email from my grandmother yesterday.

by elder-schmelder 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• LV101
    LV101

elder schmelder --- I feel so bad for you and we know freedom comes at one big price in life but this is over the top. I hate to say, this but if I were in your shoes (after finding out legally what your rights are, if any, and you'd have one tough road ahead) I'd eat crow and pretend you were in a drama class/highschool and do whatever it takes. I'd keep my eyes on the cheese and when granny takes her last breath (and after you collect) have your party and say you won this one.

watchtower wil be glued to her now for your portion --- don't let it happen. Those cult crooks will have your money so wrapped up and this is show time! From what I've heard old, crazy, people can leave their money to their cat if they want and courts don't care. it takes a lot to prove parents and grandparents are crazy, believe me. Judges are reluctant to take away someone's right about their assets.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Grandma, it is difficult for me to accept your treatment, but you must do what you must do. Please know that my love for you is not conditional like yours is. I too would suggest that you do some research on cults. What characteristics to look for......how they operate.....and how they control their followers. I too would suggest reviewing the attributes that make up the Christ like personality. I am pretty sure that monetary threats aren't included. The society will be greatful for my share of the will. Between the $16million worth of settlements in 2007, the Candace Conti case, and the future cases that will arise.....they will need to bolster their pedophile defense fund. I am also sure that there will be thousands that will appreciate the many mistranslated bibles and scholastically dishonest publications that will be printed as well.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

This is horrible news....can't beleive that they'd try to use inheritance to get you back in the "truth"...what a cult!!!

I also guess because of the recent KM's ect that are encouraging more & more people to give away their stuff to the borg...such a pity.

Hang in there Elder S!

Kool Jo

• hoser
    hoser

"I work for her in our family business "she owns the company", it is what pays our bills."

I hate to break this to you, but I won't mince words. It is not "our family business" it is hers and if she is like she sounds she could put in a real tough place.

You can take this piece of advice or leave it. You are working for your grandparents, building their business so that they can disinherit you because you differ in religious opinion? What is the succession plan for the business? Who takes over management when they are too old or pass away? Are these ones JW's as well?

I would run.

I've seen this same scenario too many times for my comfort. Son, daughter grandkids work in the "family business" in good faith assuming that something will come their way for their efforts. Then wham! The rug is pulled out from under them and they have wasted the prime of their life for someone else. Just something to think about.

Can a competitor give you employment or can you relocate? Can you upgrade your skills/ change careers. You do have options.

hoser

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You need to start your own business. Use your inside knowledge. Tell her to keep her money.

• hoser
    hoser

" You need to start your own business. Use your inside knowledge. Tell her to keep her money. "

there may be some fiscal hardships at the start, but you can't put a price on your freedom

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Outsmartthesystem

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

This level of rejection is a bitter pill to swallow, sorry you have to go through this. It's evil and completely un natural to abandon family like that. My heart goes out to you.

Chris-

• simon17
    simon17

Yes I would also try to become independent of her business.

However, I don't think your job is in jeopardy because, with this email and others she would probably send you if you were to lose your job, you'd have a slam dunk case of religious discrimination and could sue the company.

• steve2
    steve2

I'm in two or more minds about this.

People cut prospective beneficiaries out of their wills all the time. It's called having money and power. And that's why we call Wills "Wills". Wills should reflect what we want to do with our treasures. You've learnt a valuable lesson: Don't kick the cash cow.

Moreover, in your case, grandma also employs you in her business. Bad move on your part, mate, by making your boss angry. All the "badder" cause the business is in the family. Bad move.

Sounds like you've been vocal about some things in the organization - which is fine if you're now prepared to take the consequences. Sure, there is something distasteful about grandma's blatant blackmail - but you're not exactly lily-white either.

This could be a wonderful opportunity for you to get on your own two feet, move out from her business, seek your own independence and carve out your own life. I'd sure hate to see you become just another hard-done-by wound licking ex-JW eliciting lots of supportive outrage in sympathetic others but little else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit