Rescuing a God who is blind to Evil

by Terry 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Have you ever gone shopping in a department store for shoes or clothes?

Sure you have.

Do you just walk over to the rack or shelf and select what you want WITHOUT trying anything on to see if it fits?

No.

What good would that do? You'd end up having to bring it back!

So, let's try something on? We'll see if it fits. If it does and you like it--take it home with you.

If it doesn't--just leave it right here on the rack.

PREMISE:

What if God is completely blind to Evil?

The way a person who is color blind is blind to color God would be blind to Evil.

A color blind person knows there IS color--they just can't see what others can. The color blind person sees alright--just NOT color.

What would a God who is completely blind to Evil actually "mean" as a description that enables us to understand something mysterious about the history

of God's behavior (as told in scripture)? Let's try it on and see, okay?

In the famous oft-told tale of the Garden of Eden the EVIL character (serpent) is introduced. This original serpent is later (in scripture) described as "a liar from the beginning. The father of the lie."

The liar-serpent says to the human character:

5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

The serpent tells a lie about God. Can you spot the lie?

Later, after the human couple has sinned, a completely CLUELESS God wanders through the Garden.

Notice how ignorant of the Evil this God is:

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from? ”

12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me —she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

I know most people reading this assume God is pretending to be unknowing to draw the humans out. That is eisogesis (reading INTO the text) and is clearly not what is written.

In the Book of Job we find Satan (original serpent and demon) taking his place IN HEAVEN alongside faithful angels before the face of God.

If God were Evil-Blind it would explain why Satan was tolerated in the Holy of Holy heaven.

When Lot bargains with God over Sodom's inhabitants as to persuading God to spare their lives another instance of Evil-Blindness appears. Apologists

insert their OWN understanding of why the Supreme Being would enter into a Good Cop/Bad Cop argument with an inferior Good Cop human on the side of Mercy and Forgiveness.

But, for the sake of "trying it on" just read it as it is.

Genesis 18:23-25
    Abraham approached him and said: "Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing - to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"(NIV)

An Evil-Blind God would HAVE TO agree to such a bargain! Can you not see why this would be true?

An Evil-Blind God could hate what is bad just as a color blind person could appreciate that color is beautiful...but..without actually having the capacity

to SEE it!

Besides, which is holier--a God who KNOWS EVIL or a God who does NOT?

Look at the perfect Law God gives to Israel. It is not a law that identifies EVIL. It is a law that is obsessed with behavior.

Faulty behavior is what SIN is. If one Israelite blinds the other the compensation is retaliation of an equalilty that is literal and breathtaking!

In our contemporary society this would quite rightly be viewed as barbaric and cruel. What human judge would sentence someone to blindness?

But, an Evil-Blind God would only be able to cope with behavior in this way. There would be no proper UNDERSTANDING that inflicting blindness is an EVIL when it is deliberate!

Good and Bad is a formula with God. It is practically arithmetic. The MORAL nature of the Law of Moses is questionable because the penalty for a disobedient chlld (for example) is having the Parents STONE THE CHILD to death! NOTE: No remedial therapy, group prayer, hard labor and counseling is to be found in God's thinking!

Why?

Perhaps it is because God is Evil-Blind.

But, what about the Flood of Noah's day. Surely that was the result of SEEING EVIL and desiring to punish it.

Genesis 6:5-8

New International Version (NIV)

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them. ”

The text would indicate God was reading every human's mind!

How would the writer of Genesis 6 be able to KNOW with certainty that God could read minds? And what about the obvious exaggeration "only evil all the time"? That would literally mean humans never thought about eating, sleeping, sex, recreation, nursing a baby, mending clothes, etc.

The writer of Genesis is giving PRETEXT but fails to justify the necessity of killing innocent animal life! In fact, the Genesis writer attributes regret to God for having created man in the first place! Clearly, if the writer were correct, God had no clear purpose in mind for creating man and was surprised as hell to see so much going wrong. It would also mean there was no Divine Plan that simply must be carried through to completion either.

Watch this seeming last minute after thought described...

8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord .

Stop a moment.

In the bargaining between Abraham and God what was the MINIMUM requirement to spare ALL? Wasn't it just ONE good person?

There is clearly no consistency to the description of God's value system as told by bible writers.

EVIL is simply a boiler-plate "reason" for God dealing very harshly with humans. It is a HUMAN plot device to shrug off difficult mysterious dealings with the supernatural deity.

Israel is chosen as the "apple" of God's eye but is continually chastised and delivered into the hands of enemies.

Israel is ordered to slaughter babies, animals, men, women indiscriminately. The scope of horrible actions is all over the place for God it would seem!

Unless we "try on" the idea that God is blind to Evil none of it quite comes together unless we just blank out our reasoning faculty and skepticism.

What does it really come down to--this BLINDNESS?

It would mean, for one thing, that God is a being trying to cope with a different sort of life force than He himself possesses because it is vastly INFERIOR

to His nature.

For some peculiar, inexplicable reason this God could only create HUMAN INFERIOR BEINGS.

We can easily prove this by asking: "Is THIS the best of all POSSIBLE worlds for a Supreme Being to create?"

This built-in inferiority makes them unable BY NATURE to operate on the same moral level as the God who created them.

God does not comprehend this. It makes Him angry. It makes him lash out. It makes Him bargain. It makes Him inconsistent.

If we step back and look at the history of God vis a vis humanity---God blusters and threatens and acts out. But, not as an infiinitely SUPERIOR consciousness--only as a more POWERFUL one.

Because God detects behavior He does not approve He seeks to thwart it. But--not reasonably, knowingly or....drum roll please....EFFECTIVELY!

God's firstborn is eventually sent to explain LOVE to humanity and the result is disastrous murder!

Now you can superimpose all your lifetime of Theology on top of this description and make the confusion go away.

But wait!

Try for a moment to see it a different way.

Try RESCUING God by understanding that He may simply be blind to evil.

Your thoughts please.......

• designs
    designs

Jewish Dualism is the key here- Yetzer-tob and Yetzer ha-Rah, a little like Yin and Yang in Oriental philosophy. Good and Evil forces interconnected and interdependent. Humans sin but have the potential for perfectibility. Self-reflection, restitution, charity are considered the means to perfectibility. So throughout the Torah, Talmud, and Midrash you see these juxtapositions with God using The Question to advance the morality tale..

• Terry
    Terry

The premise requires us to posit the existence of a Supreme Being.

I ask myself: Supreme in what way? Supreme as in "better"?

Better than what? Better than who? Better than me or you?

Just because God can destroy everything or create everything (both are described in scripture) doesn't make me feel like this sort of God is "better" than me.

Michaelangelo was a creative genius and so was Leonardo di Vinci--but, I don't think they were morally "better" than any other person alive.

They never drowned million/billions of men, women, babies, furry kittens, etc.

No.

Clearly, something is deeply flawed in the scriptures' description of this kind of God.

So, let's start by cutting God some slack. Why not?

I think scripture is completely manmade.

A lot of people with a lot of ideas over many centuries came up with scripture.

Do I think any of them could get into God's head--or--God into THEIR head?

Well, it doesn't matter what I think.

I look at the result. The bible is a hot mess. It is all over the map. A talented child could do better telling an important story.

If we are to rescue God from the totally ridiculous descriptions of His obvious indifference or threats to destroy everybody and everything...

we have to cope with the VALUE SYSTEM betrayed by the state of his creation.

This is NOT the best of all possible worlds.

We are the VICTIMS. Blaming the victims is criminal and immoral.

So....this topic is my effort to address this problem.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Designs said:

Yetzer-tob and Yetzer ha-Rah, a little like Yin and Yang in Oriental philosophy

That's also a function that is associated with the kidneys, considered as the "decision-making" organs of the torso (of course, ancient Hebrews believed ALL cognition and thought took place in the organs of the torso, and NOT the brain (as indicated in Gen 8:21, YHWH talks about "thoughts in the HEARTS of men"; that's no figure of speech: the Hebrews literally believed that the heart played the role we know in modern times is carried out by the brain).

But back to kidneys: early Hebrews knew them to be paired organs, thinking one was one good and one, evil, which are consulted whenever one makes a decision (think of the classic "angel standing on one shoulder, the devil standing on the other" device still used in cartoons, etc). This explains why the kidneys and the associated fats were highly prized as a guilt-offering to YHWH, who considered the animal's kidneys as a good proxy for the penitant's own after making a poor decision.

This role of the 'kilyah' (kidneys, KJV reins) also explains why the Psalmist rhapsodizes in 139:13, " For thou hast possessedmy reinsthou hast coveredme in my mother'swomb ?????? ". Was he suggesting YHWH wanted to be a perinatal nephrologist, examining the fetus' urine-excreting organs, the kidneys, even before they functioned? Of course not: the Psalmist INTENDED to suggest that YHWH knew the decision-making capabilities of the fetus, i.e. his ability to exercise wisdom and good judgment later in life.

BTW, it's important to remember that Jews don't see the serpent in the Torahaic story as Satan: that's an interpretation inserted much later, to fit into the Messianic prophecies (eg Gen 3:15).

BTW, God's capacity for reading mens hearts is questionable, based on the justification given for the flood. This video points out God's flaw in judging characters, based on the Flood incident:

Terry, it takes exactly your approach, with a couple of product liability lawyers who try to place the blame solely with the manufacturer, God Almighty (video made by your's truly):

GOD ALMIGHTY

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Terry: This is a very deep post that I enjoyed reading. To keep it short, when you say " I think scripture is completely man made" I have to agree with you. We know from what we were told that 40 men had a part in writing scripture, through holy spirt as we are told.

But how do we really know that, because we were told. That doesn't make it so. There are a lot of inconsistencies in the bible because men are know to embellish the story to make it interesting and make us conform.

You made some good points in your post I will ponder over. Thanks

Kojack

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

My wife and I discussed this scripture Genesis 6:5-8 in dept awhile ago. In the ( KJV ) it say's God "repenth". If God was sorry for making us then how could I believe that he truly knew his creation. Because if God knew our every move/thought why would he admit such a mistake he made in creating us? Is God showing us a human side to his flawed creation? and if God know's our hearts, then why all the tests to prove loyalty to him? If I call myself a Christian I have to honestly test every inspired expression of God's word. I can't imagine any other way to comprehend my faith without asking these difficult questions. peaseall paulnotsaul

• still thinking
    still thinking

I felt like I was reading reasoning from the scriptures and could get no further than half way through your post...your questions were leading and were asked and answered by quotes you selected to make your point.

Are you asking or telling?

• Terry
    Terry

still thinking:

I felt like I was reading reasoning from the scriptures and could get no further than half way through your post...your questions were leading and were asked and answered by quotes you selected to make your point.

Are you asking or telling?

I thought I was clear. I'm asking you to "try on" a premise. If it doesn't fit--reject it. If you have thoughts, ideas or questions this is the best

place to discuss them. That's all a Discussion can be about.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Paulnotsaul said:

My wife and I discussed this scripture Genesis 6:5-8 in dept awhile ago. In the ( KJV ) it say's God "repenth".

It gets worse, as YHWH regrets making mankind, but then REGRETS wiping out mankind in a flood, which is offered as the reason He created rainbows. So the omniscient, all-knowing (including knowing the future, the entire basis for Biblical prophecy) didn't see either ONE of those events coming? M'kay. That completes the 'flip', with a 'flop'. He changes his mind, not ONCE, but TWICE.

"Regret" (Hebrew is necham) is a so-called "surprise" emotion, which is limited to us non-omniscients (mortals who don't know the future). I like to illustrate that idea by saying, "you cannot sneak up on YHWH and elicit a startle response by saying "Booh!", as He knows you're coming".

The Torah's authors blew YHWH's character traits, much like a continuity error that is seen on any man-made TV show, movies, etc. It is like if Superman were to appear in a comic book wearing a Kryptonite ring, which he said he was wearing for "good luck": long-time fans would howl over the mistake, since it indicates internal inconsistencies in the character. In their defense, the writers of the story ("Moses") didn't know that YHWH would later be described as "all-knowing" (that's a later trait added to Non-Torahaic scriptures).

OF course, apologetists will say it wasn't an error, but an attempt to "humanize God" to make him more human-like, more fallible. Sure....

Heck, I don't want a God whom I feel like I can sit down and enjoy a beer with, I want one who actually gets God's work done!! :)

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Terry, suppose that what's handed down in the Bible is just revisionist history written in the style of magical realism.

Why would I use it to reason out anything?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit