The Way Things are, Not How You'd Like Them To Be

by AllTimeJeff 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

At 37 years of age, I'm much to young for feeling this damn old, so apologies for sounding less than idealistic, but.....

We need people who will be honest and true to themselves. Having offered JWs the entire decade of my 20's while they tried to suck out my soul, I have come to appreciate how little of a desire these days i have to change the world.

Which was sad at first. I used to sell 'Living Forever', and all sorts of other large ideas. It feels great when you drink the kook aid and believe that you're doing something great and grand. It's also a letdown when you realize that you not only bought the lie, you tried to sell it!

So I hope you won't mind when I try to be realistic and point out that movements that try to bring down JWs are essentially a waste of time. Former JWs alone working to bring them down won't work.

However, what will bring them down is when you live your life, (something that does bother the leadership) and try to make a difference. Randy Watters, Barb Anderson and others who have been pretty deep in and who are just honest and put out there what is really going on make a huge difference, and they have personally helped me greatly Lawsuits over criminal activity will also help.

Basically, as with all corrupt groups, JWs will destroy themselves with their inner rot and the hubris of their leaders. I, along with others, have tried to expose with our stories what we know and saw. Speaking personally, my goal was never to "bring down" JWs, but to be a resource for anyone honest enough to consider what the facts are.

I think if you really feel the need to change the world, you're going to have to go down that road. But you don't need to change the world to make a difference. By being honest, you can save a few people out there worth saving, starting with yourself.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Yes, I am hoping they collapsed from within, but it is nice to see them get a little help from the outside. I still have a grown daughter and a 4 year old grandson who are still in and would like to see Watchtoers downfall sooner rather than later.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Whathappened that is a difficult situation. And very common. You can't give up on your family, but you have to also live a life that gives the people you love something to look at and say "I wonder...."

I wish you the best, and hope those kids get out and have the opportunity to become their own people. :)

• whathappened
    whathappened

Thanks for the support and all the best to you in your recovery.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Hate fo break it to you, but waiting to witness the downfall of WT is as pointless as waiting for Armageddon: both just are not going to happen... Your words were said by many after 1914 failed, and here we are, 100 years later with WT and 7 mil members.

Throughout mans history, there have ALWAYS been doomsday cults, some which survive the failed predictions, some that don't. Psychologists will tell you how a seemingly failed prophecy is denied by members, or claimed to have been "invisible" (sound familiar?), and their will ALWAYS be sheep to be fleeced (hint: any religion that refers to you as a sacrificial animal MAY NOT be legit).

Those waiting for justice are showing the old thought patterns of the JW's Stinking Thinking: that the righteous prevail, and the bad guy gets his come-uppance in the end. Life isnt a TV movie that predictably wraps up in 1 hour.... The freedom will begin once you let it go of such assumptions and wishes (and those with family members trapped in, I understand there's no easy escape)....

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

AlltimeJeff...I joined about the same time as you. I really appreciate you experiences and comments here ( <--- Damn that sounds really JW of me)

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut
    I think if you really feel the need to change the world, you're going to have to go down that road. But you don't need to change the world to make a difference. By being honest, you can save a few people out there worth saving, starting with yourself.

Saving yourself is a good start. That's what I'm doing right now. Today I started writing my letter of disassociation, six pages long. It's still weird that I'm doing this, feels somewhat unreal, but I won't back down or go back. It'll cost me greatly though, I don't have close friendships with JWs anymore, but was raised by a Single Mom, so our relationship is pretty close. I know that she'll hurt badly and being the typical mindless follower she'll end up shunning me, because she thinks she must do so.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Sauerkraut said:

Saving yourself is a good start. That's what I'm doing right now. Today I started writing my letter of disassociation, six pages long. It's still weird that I'm doing this, feels somewhat unreal, but I won't back down or go back. It'll cost me greatly though, I don't have close friendships with JWs anymore, but was raised by a Single Mom, so our relationship is pretty close. I know that she'll hurt badly and being the typical mindless follower she'll end up shunning me, because she thinks she must do so.

Stop making so much sense, Sauerkraut. :)

The thing to remind your Mom is that the shunning is ALL on her end: it's HER decision, and HERS alone. You're not shunning her: she is shunning YOU. She can't blame the WT for her actions....

You might tell her that there will ALWAYS be a "light in the window for her" in your life: she's your Mother, the one who gave you life (not the GB, the ones who want to be called Mom). If she finds the need or power to avail herself of your forgiveness, you are man enough to forgive and forget, to always have her as a part of your life (within the healthy boundaries, of course).

The fact is, she cannot say the same, because... Well, you know why....

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

SauerKraut, Once you disassociate yourself, you may no longer able to help your mother learning the truth about the truth. I wonder you shold hold on the DA letter for now. You will be label as an apostate. Are you ready for that? I would send copies of a DA letter to your mother and people in the congregation if you decide to go for it. (I apologize to OP if you feel I am hijecking your thread.)

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

well said alltimejeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit