France fines Watchtower Millions

by JAVA 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Will Power
    Will Power

Now will the WT render to caesar his due???

• Farkel
    Farkel

JAVA,

On another thread, some dub called it "punitive taxes." HAHAHAHAHA! The real (non-dub) world word for this is "tax fraud" and the WTS has been getting away with it for years.

Had they actually ever gave even a dime to real charity in the last 130 years, things might have turned out different. Instead, they kept all the money for themselves, built lavish monuments to themselves, financed local KHs with interest, and when repaid with interest took those same buildings for themselves.

"Punitive taxes" my ass. They got what they should have received many, many decades ago. They do no real good in the world. They glorify themselves and constantly recruit new members who are also carefully trained to buy and sell books and magazines that profit them and the primary theme of all their literature is to glorify themselves. France categorizing the WT religion as a "sect" was being more than generous to them.

Farkel

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

tax exemption for churches is wrong in principle.

all religious groups should be taxed, starting with local area rates and taxes on property.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Farkel,

This amused me somewhat :

Modern-day Babylon The Great, is as much a despoiler as was her ancient counterpart To this day religious leaders conspire to have Jehovah's Witnesses banned, persecuted, or punitively taxed. But as this prohecy reminds us, Jehovah sees all such treacherous dealing, and he will not let it go unpunished.
    'Isaiah's Prophecy - Light For All Mankind' pp221 #10
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

Do ya hear that, ya frog bastards? You will not go unpunished.

Hope you're wearing lotion when you bask in that light, m'Lord.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Since the JWs are considered a sect in France and not a religion they must pay taxes, according to the Miami Herald. Serves them right!
    They advocated long enough that "Religion is a snare and a racket."
    They deserve the label "sect" and no tax exemption.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Has anyone read exactly how the French court decided the difference between a religion and a sect?

• Celia
    Celia

SixofNine
    I know someone posted about that a while back.
    I believe it has something to do with "mind control" or "mind manipulation". Charles Chasson would know....
    Charles where are you ?

• JAVA
    JAVA

Thanks for all the updates and feedback, everyone. As Will Power pointed out, the Tower has no problem telling the flock to dip deep and pay their taxes, but it's a different story when the Tower is expected to do likewise. Farkel, you hit the nail on the head, too. As far as I know, the Watchtower Society has not engaged in a single act of charity up to this day. EVERYTHING goes back into their coffers as they buy more land, buildings, investments, and interest charged followers paying off Kingdom Hall mortgages (for land and buildings the Tower owns in the long run). I'm pleased the French Government can see a scam for what it really is. I wonder if the US Government will ever wake up?

• Scully
    Scully

SixofNine asked:

Has anyone read exactly how the French court decided the difference between a religion and a sect?

There is some obscure French law about the publication and distribution of literature as being a commercial venture rather than a religious one. Therein lies the "sect" label for JWs in France.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit