If solid proof were suddenly found that the Book of Enoch should be included in the standard Bible, would that pose a problem for the Jehovah's Witnesses in regards to Michael the Archangel as Jesus?

by I_love_Jeff 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

If the Book of Enoch (elaborates and gives mention to 6 more Archangels) suddenly became part of the Bible due to solid evidence, how would this effect the shakey JW doctrine of Michael the Archangel as being Jesus? There are six other Archangels mentioned in this book; could it be possible, if included in the JW bible, that one of the other archangels could be Jesus? Would they excuse it somehow and simply stick with their implicit understanding of Jesus=Michael?

(Daniel 10:13 describes Michael as "one of the chief princes." This possibly indicates that there is more than one archangel, because it places Michael on the same level as the other "chief princes.")

Jehovah's Witnesses state, "Well, the prefix "arch," meaning "chief" or "principal," implies that there is only one archangel."

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/85223/1/Jude-and-1-Enoch

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/229824/1/Daniel-10-13-Michael-one-of-the-chief-princes

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I like questions like yours, but I just cannot take it seriously.

Let me rephrase in the way I see it:

"If somthing that was accepted as 'solid proof' that the fiction that is 'Enoch' should be included in the fiction of the Old Testament, and that somehow the contradictions it would represent with any religious doctrines (as well as the rest of the accepted Bible canon) would need to be reduced if they cannot be totally eliminated, would the JW's attempt to reduce those contradictions in their own fictions about Jesus being Michael or would they try to discredit 'Enoch' as fiction?"

There is no proof that any of the fictions of the entire Bible belong there anymore than any others. Of course, there is no proof that many of the 'Apocryphal' scriptures that are not accepted should not also be included.

That said, your "what if" has no real value. No possible "solid proof" could ever be found that even the books already accepted should be included and there really is no reason to disclude 'Enoch.'

• Wilfried
    Wilfried

Book of Enoch is really great... I love it .... It explains so much things (especially about the Nephilim)

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

If the Book of Enoch was a part of the Canon, the Watchtower would have to reconsider their position in several areas including the Michael=Jesus BS:

• Immortality of the soul
    • Punishment in Hell
    • Sections of Hades for the righteous and sinners (The Rich man and Lazarus)

pseudo

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/boe025.htm

The Book of Enoch

XXII. Sheol, or the Underworld.

CHAPTER XXII.

1. And thence I went to another place, and he showed me in the west ⌈another⌉ great and high mountain [and] of hard rock.

2 And there was in it †four† hollow places, deep and wide and very smooth. †How† smooth are the hollow places and deep and dark to look at.

3. Then Raphael answered, one of the holy angels who was with me, and said unto me: 'These hollow places have been created for this very purpose, that the spirits of the souls of the dead should assemble therein, yea that all the souls of the children of men should assemble here. And these places have been made to receive them till the day of their judgement and till their appointed period ⌈till the period appointed⌉, till the great judgement (comes) upon them.'

5. I saw the spirits of the children of men who were dead, and their voice went forth to heaven and made suit. 6. Then I asked Raphael the angel who was with me, and I said unto him: 'This spirit--whose is it whose voice goeth forth and maketh suit?'

7. And he answered me saying: 'This is the spirit which went forth from Abel, whom his brother Cain slew, and he makes his suit against him till his seed is destroyed from the face of the earth, and his seed is annihilated from amongst the seed of men.'

8. Then I asked regarding it, and regarding all the hollow places: 'Why as one separated from the other?'

9. And he answered me and said unto me: 'These three have been made that the spirits of the dead might be separated. And such a division has been made the spirits of the righteous, in which there as the bright spring of water. 10. And such has been made for sinners when they die and are buried in the earth and judgement has not been executed on them in their lifetime. 11. Here their spirits shall be set apart in this great pain till the great day of judgement and punishment and torment of those who †curse† for ever, and retribution for their spirits. There He shall bind them for ever. 12. And such a division has been made for the spirits of those who make their suit, who make disclosures concerning their destruction, when they were slain in the days of the sinners. 13. Such has been made for the spirits of men who were not righteous but sinners, who were complete in transgression, and of the transgressors. they shall be companions: but their spirits shall not be slain in the day of judgement nor shall they be raised from thence. 14. Then I blessed the Lord of glory and said: 'Blessed be my Lord, the Lord of righteousness, who ruleth for ever.'

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

It's really easy to say that the Bible is fiction and it should be thrown out with all the other ancient texts. If that's the case, then we should discontinue our studies, turn on network TV, watch some sitcoms and maybe a ball game, and drink ourselves to sleep ... go to work ... repeat. But if we want to make some progress in understanding religious belief systems, how they came about, how they are maintained, and the basis of their perpetuation, then we have to start measuring the relative value of religious literature, even if we don't believe that any of it is based in reality.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    But if we want to make some progress in understanding religious belief systems, how they came about, how they are maintained, and the basis of their perpetuation, then we have to start measuring the relative value of religious literature, even if we don't believe that any of it is based in reality.

Some of us think that there are more important things to be considering than something that is not based in reality.

• goatshapeddemon
  • goatshapeddemon
  • Aware!
    Aware!

Isn't the book of Enoch mentioned in the book of Jude?

• goatshapeddemon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit