Why did Jehovah's Witnesses release the Byington and New Jerusalem Bibles in the early 70s , and forget about them in the 80s?

by Balaamsass 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Andover Townsman, Andover, MA

July 26, 2012

Dalton column: Lawsuit concerns one of town's most interesting yet forgotten

Bill Dalton

Andover's Steven T. Byington was such an exceptional person that, 55 years after his death, he and his life's work, "The Bible in Living English," are indirectly the subject of a lawsuit in New York state. I was contacted by the plaintiff because I'd written about Byington several years ago. The facts of the case are still unfolding.

From the 1930 to 1957, Byington (1868-1957) often walked between Ballard Vale - as he always called it - and Memorial Hall Library. He had a long beard, making him look taller than his medium height, wore sneakers but never a hat and always had a book bag over his shoulder. He would politely decline an offer of a ride, although he wouldn't hesitate to stop and chat along the way. He took shortcuts through others' land to reach his home, the stone house on Ballard Vale's High Street, where he lived with his mother, until she died in 1935, and with his sister, Martha, who was the librarian at the Ballard Vale library. He'd moved to Andover with his mother in 1906.

Those who knew him well, especially in the old Union Congregational Church of Ballard Vale, understood he was an intellectual with an intricate knowledge of the Bible. Others knew of him because of a 1956 feature article in the Andover Townsman that highlighted Byington and the 40 years he'd spent translating the Bible into modern English. He was a renowned translator and in his early adulthood was one of the intellectual pillars of a form of peaceful anarchism called "individualist anarchism." Byington's translation of three seminal books on anarchy can still be purchased today.

He stuttered, which likely caused him to be an avid reader and prolific writer, but may have kept him from his chosen profession, being a Congregational minister, although he spent a year and a half in theology school. His "letters to the editor" touched on a immense variety of subjects and were published all over the country. He published 25 articles in the journal "American Speech" from 1926-1946 and had a lifelong interest in English language use.

Walter Bagnall of Chillicothe, Ohio is potentially Mr. Byington's biographer. Bagnall came across an essay by one of Byington's Sunday School students called, "The Sage of Ballard Vale, Remembrance of a Yankee Genius." The student recalled a day, many years ago, when a young, visiting minister from the Harvard Divinity School spoke at the Union Congregational Church. Mr. Byington's traditional seat was in the "old choir section," which was to the side of the minister and in front of the congregation. While the minister was interpreting an Old Testament passage Byington interrupted the service, something he regularly did, by leaning forward and tapping his forehead with his finger, trying to get the first word out of his mouth; this was a clue to the congregation that he was about to speak. The congregation leaned forward in expectation, which the minister mistook as rapt attention to his sermon, but soon Byington spoke in a stutter, "I beg to differ! Young man, your interpretation of the passage is incorrect. Going back to the Hebrew, the essence of the passage reads as follows..." According to the essay, "The younger man was speechless as Byington read the passage in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, Latin, and German to compare the meaning...The young student later returned to Ballard Vale as the regular minister, and the two men became fast friends."

Steven Byington — born "Stephen" in Westford, Vt. — was only 13 when he decided the Bible needed to be translated into modern English. His love for the Bible came from his father, who was a minister. Steven graduated summa cum laude from the University of Vermont in 1891, and was Phi Beta Kappa. He taught himself Hebrew because the school didn't teach it, and, as time passed, he learned a total of 12 languages.

His front page obituary was in the Andover Townsman on Oct. 17, 1957, exactly one year after the Townsman carried a front page story about him titled, "Steven Byington — Man of Letters — Has a Problem." The problem was that Mr. Byington was unable to find a publisher for his translation of the Bible into modern English. He'd finished the translation in 1943, after working on it for 40 years. There were other translations of the Bible, but Byington believed they were uninspiring and inaccurate.

Fifteen years after his death, Byington's "The Bible in Living English" was published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society owned by the Jehovah's Witnesses. One of the reasons they published it was because of Byington's use of the name "Jehovah" for God. In 1972, 100,000 first editions were published, the next year 50,000 second editions were published. Byington's translation has become a book collector's book and you can buy a first edition from Amazon for $149.95. I own a second edition, and it is a beautiful version of the Bible.

Mr. Byington worked 39 years in Boston as a proof reader for Ginn and Co, and he commuted to work on the train where each day he would work on his Bible translation. He was active at the Union Congregational Church of Ballard Vale, where he served as clerk and church historian until 1955, when the church merged with the Methodist Episcopal Church to form the Ballardvale United Church.

When I asked Walter Bagnall why he thought Byington was a great man he responded that Byington overcame a handicap (severe stuttering) without a trace of bitterness and found a way to make a substantial contribution to society in spite of it. Bagnall says, "Byington wasn't afraid to stick out like a sore thumb to make a point. Being an anarchist in the 1890-1920 period was unpopular. To take a stand for what he believed in, despite the prevailing opposition to anarchism, was admirable and I think, one of the marks of greatness."

Mr. Bagnall compares Byington to Thoreau, and says, "In many ways the two were cut from the same cloth; but Byington was brainier. Maybe this is why Thoreau is famous and Byington is not. After all, an article titled, 'The Attributive Noun Becomes Cancerous,' which Byington wrote for American Speech in October, 1926, wouldn't have been the most engaging reading by any means."

Mr. Byington's obituary states that his ashes were taken to Westford, Vt., and no Andover relatives were listed. When South Elementary School was built, there was some discussion about naming the school in his memory, but nothing came of it.

Bill Dalton writes a weekly column for the Andover Townsman. His email address is [email protected].

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Interesting

The Oracle

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

JW never released the New Jerusalem Bible. They released the Byington and the KJ versions. (Apart from a few other releases back around 1900.)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

At one time you could order the Jerusalem Bible, I think this was the one before the New Jerusalem version, through the literature desk at the K. Hall, in the old days when we paid for lit. I guess the WT made a profit on the transaction, albeit small.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I've a copy of The Bible in Living English somewhere about. I didn't know it was such a collector's item!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The Bible in Living English - Byingon is listed on the Amazon U K site but "No copies available" ..Bookfinders.com comes up with two Amazon USA copies at £71.74 and £103.59 !

Hmm. better search mine out...... Sorry to reduce this interesting thread to mere money.

Good article Thanks for sharing.....Why buy it up and release it then forget it? I don't know but I think that the single volume NWT rather took over in their minds.

• blondie
    blondie

*** jv chap. 27 pp. 603-607 Printing and Distributing God’s Own Sacred Word ***

A Bible-Publishing Society

It was in 1896 that direct reference to the Bible was officially included in the name of the legal corporation then being used by the Bible Students in their publishing work. At that time Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society became legally known as Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. The Society did not immediately become a printer and binder of Bibles, but it was an active publisher of them, working out specifications, providing valuable supplementary features, and then arranging with commercial firms to do the printing and binding.

Even prior to 1896, the Society was doing much as a Bible distributor. Not for commercial gain but as a service to its readers, it drew attention to various Bible translations that were available, bought them in large quantities so as to obtain good rates, and then made them available for a price that was sometimes only 35 percent of the list price. Included among these were numerous editions of the King James Version that were easy to carry and use, also larger ‘Teachers’ Bibles’ (King James Version with such helps as a concordance, maps, and marginal references), The Emphatic Diaglott with its Greek-to-English interlinear rendering, Leeser’s translation that placed the English text alongside the Hebrew, Murdock’s translation from ancient Syriac, The Newberry Bible with its marginal references that drew attention to occurrences of the divine name in the original language as well as other valuable details reflected in the Hebrew and Greek text, Tischendorf’s New Testament with its footnote references to variant readings in three of the most complete ancient Greek Bible manuscripts (Sinaitic, Vatican, and Alexandrine), the Variorum Bible with its footnotes that set out not only variant readings of ancient manuscripts but also various translations of portions of the text by eminent scholars, and Young’s literal translation. The Society also made available such helps as Cruden’s Concordance and Young’s Analytical Concordance with its comments on the original Hebrew and Greek words. In the years that followed, around the globe Jehovah’s Witnesses frequently obtained from other Bible societies many thousands of Bibles in whatever languages were available and distributed these.

As early as 1890, according to available evidence, the Society arranged for a special printing, bearing its own name, of the Second Edition of The New Testament Newly Translated and Critically Emphasised, as prepared by the British Bible translator Joseph B. Rotherham. Why this translation? Because of its literalness and its endeavor to benefit fully from research that had been done to establish a more accurate Greek text and because the reader was helped by devices employed by the translator to identify which words or expressions were given special emphasis in the Greek text.

In 1902 a special printing of the Holman Linear Parallel Edition of the Bible was made by arrangement of the Watch Tower Society. It contained wide margins in which were printed references to places in Watch Tower publications where various verses were explained, also an index listing scores of subjects along with Scripture citations and helpful references to the Society’s publications. This Bible contained the wording of two translations—the King James rendering above that of the Revised Version where there was any difference. It also included an extensive concordance that alerted the user to various meanings of original-language words.

That same year, the Watch Tower Society came into possession of the printing plates for The Emphatic Diaglott, which includes J. J. Griesbach’s Greek text of the Christian Greek Scriptures (the 1796-1806 edition) along with an English interlinear translation. Alongside this was the rendering of the text by British-born Benjamin Wilson, who had taken up residence in Geneva, Illinois, U.S.A. Those plates and the sole right of publication had been purchased and then given as a gift to the Society. After copies already in stock had been sent out, arrangements were made by the Society for more to be produced, and those became available in 1903.

Four years later, in 1907, the Bible Students Edition of the King James Version was published. The “Berean Bible Teachers’ Manual” was bound with it, as an appendix. This included concise comments on verses from all parts of the Bible, along with references to Watch Tower publications for fuller explanation. An edition with an enlarged appendix was published about a year later.

These Bibles were ordered from the printers and binders in lots of between 5,000 and 10,000 at a time, in order to keep the cost down. The Society was desirous of making a variety of Bible translations and related research tools readily available to as many people as possible.

Then, in 1926 the Watch Tower Society took a major step forward in its involvement in Bible publishing.

Printing the Bible on Our Own Presses

It was 36 years after it first undertook publishing Bibles that the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society printed and bound a Bible in its own factory. The first one thus produced was The Emphatic Diaglott, the plates for which had been owned by the Society for 24 years. In December 1926 this Bible was printed on a flatbed press in the Society’s Concord Street factory in Brooklyn. To date, 427,924 of these have been produced.

Sixteen years later, in the midst of World War II, the Society undertook the printing of the entire Bible. To this end, plates for the King James Version with marginal references were purchased in 1942 from the A. J. Holman Company, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This translation of the complete Bible into English was produced, not from the Latin Vulgate, but by scholars who were able to compare earlier translations with the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. A concordance, prepared by more than 150 collaborating servants of Jehovah, was added. This was specially designed to help Jehovah’s Witnesses find appropriate texts quickly when in the field ministry and thus use the Bible effectively as “the sword of the spirit,” to cut away and expose religious falsehood. (Eph. 6:17) In order to make the Bible available to people everywhere at a low cost, it was printed on a web rotary press—something that had never been attempted by other Bible printers. As of 1992, a total of 1,858,368 of these Bibles had been produced.

The desire of Jehovah’s Witnesses went beyond getting copies of the Bible, the book itself, into the hands of people. The Witnesses wanted to help people to get to know the personal name, as well as the purpose, of its divine author, Jehovah God. There was a translation in English—the American Standard Version of 1901—that used the divine name in the more than 6,870 places where it appeared in the sources from which the translators worked. In 1944, after a number of months of negotiations, the Watch Tower Society purchased the right to make a set of key plates for this Bible from plates and type supplied by Thomas Nelson and Sons, of New York. During the next 48 years, 1,039,482 copies were produced.

Steven Byington, of Ballard Vale, Massachusetts, U.S.A., had also made a modern-English translation of the Bible that gave the divine name its rightful place. The Watch Tower Society came into possession of his unpublished manuscript in 1951 and acquired the sole right of publication in 1961. That complete translation was printed in 1972. Down till 1992, there had been 262,573 produced.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thanks everyone...but has anyone heard of a LAWSUIT? I emailed the reporter this question, no response yet. As a earnest JW in the 70s I simply swallowed whatever WTBTS fed me. When I was at Bethel I had friends who privately after a few drinks would confess doubts (even from the service desk...& Ray expressed some doubts out loud in 1976). After reading Rays books, and looking back in time was SOMEONE trying to undermine the New World Translation from within...... Frankly...just a little puzzeled and thinking out loud...no strong opinion. WHAT MAJOR DIFFERENCES ARE THERE IN THESE TRANSLATIONS ?

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

As far as translating is concerned, I think Byington had some problem with the term "impale/impaled" (but not with the term "stake") and the Society's somewhat unique view of waw consecutive (?) which Byington viewed as tantamount to inserting arbitrary commentary into the Bible text. None of that relates to any legal issues though, just Byington expressing his (studied) opinion.

Take Care

• Aware!
    Aware!

I've asked myself this same question a lot of times. When I read about Byington's translation in the Proclaimers book and then his biography online I felt bad for him. He worked so hard on it, and the least I could do was buy it. I knew you couldn't order it anymore so I searched for it online. A thread from this forum came up among the search hits and I decided to take a look. It had a link to a scanned .pdf version that Atlantis posted. I didn't look at anything else because I was just interested in the Bible. This was like maybe two or three years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit