Why do people pretend good things about Jesus ?

by mP 418 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

'someone who forgave all, showed mercy to all' no the Jesus of the Gospels did not do those things- he is on record condemening the Jewish people, their religion, castigating the Pharisees and Sadducees and supporting the oppresive Roman conquerors. Jesus was the Benedict Arnold of his day.

• mP
    mP

Entirely:

That was over the top.

mP->Entirely

Maybe in your opinion and thats your entitlement. However xians keep judging everyone all the time and claim that jesus died for me because im a sinner. Sure i make mistakes, but im not a murder and so on. I take offence that they feel that they can claim the world is a bad plpace because of Adam or Eve eatting a peice of fruit, but when one challenges them, they cry foul. If you can freely condemn entire worlds and peoples to death and suffering then perhaps you need to examine what happens if someone makes it less abstract and a questin on a individual level.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

This is a curious thread. I thought it had been established that modern Christians are allowed to fashion Jesus into whatever person or being they want to. The Bible story is just a guide and not even written by Jesus. If a Christina wants Jesus to be good, then he is good.

If a Bible bashing Christian wants Jesus to be a warrior on a white horse with a long sword protruding from his mouth, to smite his enemies with, as per John’s revelation, then that’s what Jesus becomes.

‘Christ like’ is a very elastic term. This is an improvement on old fashioned Christianity where everything was nailed down, no pun intended. Jesus is not just for Christmas so flexibility is required. Personally I want Jesus to be the nice guy in sandals giving out free wine, bread and fish. The more freedom I have to model him in the way I want, the better. Perhaps he will hand out some free beer when he returns?

Remember gods are there to serve us and not the other way around.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Perhaps he will hand out some free beer when he returns?

According to the gospels folktales, Jesus prefers wine.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Ah Jeffro! Your Jesus may prefer wine, but my Jesus is a nice Jesus and I know that he would provide me with the beverage of my choice.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Your Jesus may prefer wine,

I don't have a Jesus. Slavery is illegal. But, then again, Jesus didn't know that (ignoring for a moment that he's likely fictional, and otherwise definitely dead). What an ethical dilemma...

Jesus! More wine! Now! Don't make me get that thorny crown again!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think that is exactly what is happening. Jesus is defined by individuals---he will reflect their values regardless of what is written about him Every Jesus you meet is a different Jesus. Every Jesus you meet is an extention of what the partcular believer wants to be true.

According to Sab---Jesus did not condemn slavery---and there is something good about slavery

According to Tec---Whild Jesus did not specifically condemn slavery, he did so with his actions and indirect teachings

I'm sure if we ask another christian, we will get a different twist on Jesus.

If this person were real and alive, he would be who he is---not who others want him to be. That is a fact. But as a myth---well---he can be anything and he is.

NC

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I make the money and I like baby Jesus the best, in his golden fleece diaper, omnipotent and don't even know a single word yet.

• tec
    tec

'someone who forgave all, showed mercy to all' no the Jesus of the Gospels did not do those things- he is on record condemening the Jewish people, their religion, castigating the Pharisees and Sadducees and supporting the oppresive Roman conquerors. Jesus was the

Benedict Arnold of his day.

His followers were Jews, Designs. He never condemned the Jewish people or their religion... only those who oppressed the weak and the poor; the hypocrites among them. That at least is no different than any Jewish prophet had done to that point.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit