Dubs badmouthing children

by rebel8 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I was in during the 80's, and being disassociated was the same as being df'd except it was for unbaptized people.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

But she was marked as if she did more. Her sick stepdad cut off all her beautiful long blond hair for punishment.

That is so disgusting.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS reversed themselves on treating nonbaptized people as baptized jws and shunning them, treating them as df'd people. They realized that these people had not "signed" the contract. More than likely the WTS was sued successfully for df'ing these type of people.

*** w89 2/15 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

? Does the material on being approved by God mean that Christians may speak to one who once was considered an “approved associate” but later, because of wrongdoing, was to be avoided?

Yes, it does. The Watchtower of November 15, 1988, showed why it is Scriptural to adjust our view of an unbaptized person who shares in the public ministry with Jehovah’s Witnesses. Formerly, such a person was termed an “approved associate.” If he thereafter unrepentantly broke God’s laws, the congregation was alerted, and the members would then avoid association and conversation with him.

As the recent material showed, the Bible requires that such disciplinary action be taken in the case of baptized persons who are unrepentant wrongdoers. (1 Corinthians 5:11-13; 2 John 9-11) Yet, the accountability of an unbaptized person who pursues wrongdoing is not the same as that of one who is baptized. (Luke 12:48) He has not been baptized and thus has not become approved in God’s sight, so disfellowshipping is not appropriate in his case. Basically, he is now a worldly person and can be dealt with accordingly.

What, then, of one who was formerly termed an “approved associate” but who is no longer qualified for the public ministry because of his wrong course? Since he is not disfellowshipped, he should be treated as the person of the world that he is. Of course, the November 15 Watchtower advised on page 19 that due caution must be exercised by loyal Christians. These realize that the unbaptized person may well have shared in wrongdoing despite his having knowledge of God’s requirements. Mature Christians must be careful about socializing with such an individual. If questions arise as to the extent of contact that may be had with him, most of these can be resolved by following godly counsel. We can reflect on counsel such as that found at 1 Corinthians 15:33 and Proverbs 13:20 and ask ourselves: ‘What association would I properly have with a person of the world who is not living by Christian standards?’ If the elders see that a worldly person of this sort poses any threat, they can privately offer warning counsel to those in the congregation who seem to be endangered.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Good quote Blondie. Maybe my area was very hardlined. Or it depends on who you know. I wish I had that information then.

My child, was an UBM. In the mid 90's, my child's name was read off from the platform as being no longer an UBM. Still got the same 'treatment'. Was just a kid of 12. The wrongdoing was kissing.

Sweet treatment from the elders...they told me after the anouncemnt what it was all about.

• eva luna
    eva luna

@ Chemical Emotions

My friends sister's hair had it's revenge. It grew back very thick and had beautiful Botticelli curls. Viva laTina!

'edit on the raffa curls'

• blondie
    blondie

eva, oldtimers have a hard time letting go of old light. Or worse yet think they know better. Sorry for your child....I was a child in a "divided" family and I was treated like I had spiritual leprosy because my father was not a jw....few talked to me and my siblings. We called ourselves the Rejects. I was never invited to social occasions. Fortunately, I had relatives that I could hang out with.

They goofed to regarding WTS official policies; they were obliged to include the parent of a minor child in their proceedings even if baptized and especially if not baptized..........

And they teach that the mark of a true Christian was the love they showed each other. Strange way to show love.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Thank you for sharing your lifes experiance Blondie.

I was going through a messy divorce at this time. I never new what a single 'sister' went through until then. That's another topic. I had always been sort of sheilded by a father or husband before this.

From your story, I see you can understand.

Yes, now I know they goofed and that is putting it mildly, as I am leaving out magor portions of my childs story.

As sad as this was for all of us, it moved us away from going to meetings. One day my child said, Mom , if it doesnt feel good, why are you going?? Out of the mouths of a young teen. I had already felt the lack of Love. Been to many back room setups. But, that simple little comment was ear/eye opening.

So you were the Regects, we were "the going to hell family". I cant help but laugh now, in a nostalgic sort of way.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

@eva: Oh, it came back as curls! Very nice. :)

I know a girl who was not baptized but was going in service, got reproved, and got ignored even more than she already was. Poor girl.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I wonder how many unbabtized teens who were treated this way remained. I'll bet not many.
    The story I was telling pertained to my congregation circa 1981. I counted and here's what the current status is AFAIK:

1-reproved (1 still in--100%)

11-DF or "disassociated unbaptized persons" (1 still in--9%)

I guess the borg did the latter group a favor then.

We weren't allowed to eat a meal or talk to them, just like DF people.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I had shirtail relatives this happened to. They were brothers whose parents had a bitter divorce and cutody battle. They were kidnapped and taken to another country for at least 7 years until the FBI eventually got involved and returned them to the USA. By this time they were understandably very mixed up teens. They got caught breaking a decrative light in front of a subdivision. They were arrested and ordered to pay restatution. Their names were read off the platform and they were shunned.

The guidence councilor at their school was furious that their church would use shunning instead of trying to help. He wondered why there were no youth groups or any other assistance efforts made.

Needless to say they are not JWs anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit