Woman requesting bloodless liver transplant

by loosie 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

Ironic that not so far back in JW history, the liver transplant itself would have been a DF offense.

• undercover
    undercover

Ironic that not so far back in JW history, the liver transplant itself would have been a DF offense.

Cannibalism was the charge, IIRC

And at one time, the WTS taught that if you got a heart transplant you would end up with the donor's personality traits. I wonder - if one gets a liver transplant, does it affect your craving for alcohol?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I wonder - if one gets a liver transplant, does it affect your craving for alcohol?

Don't know - perhaps Larry Hagman could comment?

• JeffT
    JeffT

I wonder - if one gets a liver transplant, does it affect your craving for alcohol?

No, cravings take place in the brain. The liver just gets to clean up the mess and get sick in the process. An alcoholic brain doesn't give a rip about the liver. For that matter it doesn't give a rip about anything else either.

I did wonder why this woman's liver is so non functional she needs a transplant.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS does not count that blood in the organ in its definition of blood. I think it is somewhere in their publications...no access to WT CD right now.

• blondie
    blondie

As to ridding the organ completely from blood, their reasoning might be similar to this about meat, and the red fluid that flows out.

*** w72 9/1 p. 544 Questions from Readers ***

Of course, even the meat from properly bled animals may appear to be very red or may have red fluid on the surface. This is because bleeding does not remove every trace of blood from the animal. But God’s law does not require that every single drop of blood be removed. It simply states that the animal should be bled.

Then, too, there is extravascular fluid in the meat. This fluid may mix with traces of blood and take on a red color. The extravascular fluid filling the spaces between the cells is known as interstitial fluid and resembles blood plasma. But it is not blood and therefore does not come under the prohibition respecting blood. Hence the presence of a reddish fluid does not in itself make meat unsuitable for food. As long as an animal has been properly bled, its meat may Scripturally be used for food.

• undercover
    undercover

The WTS does not count that blood in the organ in its definition of blood. I think it is somewhere in their publications

I'm sure it's in Leviticus as well.

"Thou shalt not fall into eating the blood with the meat, unless however, some blood still remains inside the meat, which then it is hunky-dory, thus saith the Lord"

• mP
    mP

Is it possible to completely remove all "blood" from a liver ? Im a layman but i find it difficult to comprehend that such an exercise is even possible. Its easy to pretend most of the blood is gone but its in reality not completely clear. Isnt the women defeating the spirit of the "law of blood". The idea is the blood represents life, thus taking a new liver to save her life also achieves the same objecctive. No liver = death...Blood liver, some other organ perhaps even medicine all represent the same thing. Shouldnt JW refuse all surgery and medicine and trust god ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit