Why are you here?

by teejay 24 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Okay, I know what *MY* deal is.

I'm kinda stuck in a life that I really see no way of escaping. A big part of MY deal is that I was raised without a dad who walked out on his family and so I have it in me to be the dad my dad never was.

So, I'm living where I live, working where I work, doing what I do – day to day – mostly to be here for my kid.

... 'cept my kid's being raised by a JW – a religion I hate!

.. but...

... since I'm not a control freak and live and let live, I figure that if wife wants to be a dub... cool... knock yourself out – be a dub.

All I know is that I want to be a dad for my daughter cause I know that I can, and if I do it right, I might make a difference in her life later on.

Fuckt up, huh?

Long story short... I'm here because I don't have much of a social life and, since you're here too, I suspect the same of you. I COULD – and if I chose to tap deeper into my assholeness (which I know exists) I WOULD – have a different life than the one I have now. I'd just go for mine. Move out like Daddy did. Get a girlfriend... or two... or five, and let my daughter find her own way. As it is, I'm a chump, I guess.

So, in order to have some interaction with fellow life forms, to share my views and listen to the views of others, I hang out with a bunch of bitter, dysfunctional ex-JWs on an online discussion board. A part of me hates admitting it but at this time in my life you people are the only real friends I have.

There! I said it!!

I stop short of calling you "family" only because the word is more important to me than to apply it to perfect strangers.

Then again, I only *think* I know members of my family so my respect for the word may be overstated. Lord knows that my blood relatives often surprise me with some of the silly, off-the-wall stuff they say; stuff I'd never expect to hear from people I thought I "knew" only to make me think that I really don't know them at all.

So I wonder... what *is* family.

Right now... maybe JW.com.

• puzzled
    puzzled

I use to think I knew but I have since convinced myself there really is no such thing. Pretty sad.
    When you get dropped on your head(or at least seemingly) by your "Family" what else is left?

WE MAKE UP OUR FAMILIES AS WE GO.

For those who prefer to skip over me.
    blah blah blah blah

plmkrzy

• larc
    larc

Teejay,

I know how you feel. After I left the Witnesses, I was pretty much a loner. I considered people at work to be associates, not real friends. Over the years, I do have a few people in my life I would call friends, but not a large number.

I found this place about a year and a half ago, and I do consider it family in a way. People here can relate to each other in a way that other people just don't understand.

I remember on a occasion where the subject of the Witnesses would come up in a social setting. If I said anything about it, the conversation rarely lasted more than a few minutes. The "outsider" just doesn't understand what our experiences were like. So, as a result, I find great confort in being able to express my ideas here.

• butalbee
    butalbee

Guess Love brought me here[needed advice on my then situation w/ stupid ass dub], but addiction keeps me coming back every day....I love this site! And everyone[except a couple trolls] that post here.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey teejay,bitter,dysfunctional ex-JWs?(LOL)Nobody knows what we`ve been through except us.When we talk about something,most understand what we are saying.The ones that pretend to know stick out like a sore thumb,and will never really understand or fit in with us.I have to go be bitter and dysfunctional on another thread....LOL...OUTLAW

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Hey you big shmuck!

We are friends even though your an asshole!

Sorry for not telling you so, more often.

I have been basking in the sun of reality, away from this cyberspace playground.

Hope all is well Mr. Tee.

Never heard about the wine tasting???

Danny

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Teejay,

I believe you will make a difference in your daughters life, a positive difference. I know a few that have walked away being in your shoes. The love you have for your daughter and the knowledge you have will be the difference.

I am fortunate enought to have family that have walked away from the WT as well as a few good friends that did the same. I have always kept contact with some school buddies that were never JWs. I was accepted as a friend by them when I was a JW and they accept me now. We have been through many experiences.

BTW, how old is your daughter?
    I have two daughters 15&14 and one son 12.

Scorpion

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

TJ, most things are trial and error. In short, your family means the most. Remove any self-barriers to happiness and enjoy what you 'caused' to be a part of your happiness.

Guest 77

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

TJ,

"All I know is that I want to be a dad for my daughter cause I know that I can, and if I do it right, I might make a difference in her life later on."
    I like your priorities. My hat is off to you.

Jst2laws

• Francois
    Francois

Families are the people who stand by you through thick and thin, warts and all. Like what you're doing for your daughter. That's family.

I wish to God I had another chance to stay with my daughter in the teeth of a bad, bad marriage. I didn't. That was over 25 years ago. Regret is a terrible companion. And even though we have a good relationship today, the regret is there, oh god is it still there.

You'll be a happier old man if you stay. Of course, situations get to the point where you can't stay. But even if that happens, you can continue to be a part of your daughter's life. Perhaps you could even get custody based on your wife's JW involvement. Custoday HAS been won on that issue.

OH. I'm here to offer my sage, experience-obtained, advice so that others won't have to make my mistakes; to help people get out, or stay out of the JWs; to help them help others stay out or get out. And to vent when it feels like the right thing to do.

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit