[b]TO ALL COMPUTER BRAINS[/b]

by plmkrzy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Latelywhen I'm on my computer it will suddenly start making a LOT of noise like files are being searched. This has benn happening a lot lately. I get no warnings of bugs or virises Why else besides someone hacking into my computer would that be happening? It's bugging the Chit out of me! I keep No important info stored on this hard drive it just annoys me[>:(]

CAN ANYONE HELP!

plmkrzy

"The fellow that agrees with everything you say is either a fool or he is getting ready to skin you."
    - Kin Hubbard
  • chezza
    chezza

Why dont you get hold of zone alarm and it will tell you if someones trying to hack in

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

HOw much space is left on your hard drive?

• rhett
    rhett

No one is trying to hack you. You've said yourself you're a boring target so there's no reason why they would. There are a lot of reasons why your drive would be making that noise. You have a lot of programs open and your PC is running low on RAM so its having to hit your swap file often would be my best guess but I can't say anything unless I'm there in front of your PC. Stop being so paranoid about the magical mythical hackers that are out to take over everyone's computers.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• Suzi
    Suzi

Are you on a PC or a Mac?

Either way, it's most likely just your processor kicking into overdrive if you have a few windows open at once. Or a few programs open (I know my Mac starts getting pissy when I have three or more animation and graphics programs open at the same time, and then I go and start working in Director.. geez, it HATES that. :) )

Check the exhaust vents and see if you're heating up, good indication of whether it's your processor. Sometimes a reboot will help. Or you might need an upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Suzi
    Running five programs with only 32 megs of Ram, woo hoo!!! (Didn't have a problem until I installed Norton)

• julien
    julien

What OS? 2000 (and presumably XP) occasionally run a file indexing process that churns your disc for a little while. How do you know you have no viruses?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Could be demons????

The Pope

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

chezza

Can I download that from another site? I just have a active shield.

Naeblis
    LOTS! I'v only used about 1/4. plenty of ram also. started out with pemtium3 and upgraded it from there.

Suzi

PC
    I was wondering if it could possibly have something to do with the programing. I have melinium. not 2000. I heard that program has many gliches.

julien

[[How do you know you have no viruses?]]

I guess i don't know. I use the scan dics yesterday, wouldn't that tell if there were any or not?

PopeOfEruke
    LOL

rhett
    [[[[[[No one is trying to hack you. You've said yourself you're a boring target so there's no reason why they would. There are a lot of reasons why your drive would be making that noise. You have a lot of programs open and your PC is running low on RAM so its having to hit your swap file often would be my best guess but I can't say anything unless I'm there in front of your PC. Stop being so paranoid about the magical mythical hackers that are out to take over everyone's computers.]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

WHAT THE PHUK IS YOUR PROBLEM! take a vacation or something GEEzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"The fellow that agrees with everything you say is either a fool or he is getting ready to skin you."
    - Kin Hubbard
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

when was the last time you defragged your computer. If you don't knop what that means then probably never I would guess.

When you write a file on a clean hard drive it saves the file in one piece. Then it saves the next file consecutively after that. But if you delete the first file and save a third file the third file gets saved in 2 places ( in the space where the deleted file was and in the space after the end of all other saved work. This leads to fragmented file - a bit here - a bit there. When you are trying to do something on the computer the program has to search all over the hard drive for all the bits and pieces of the file so you can open it. And that is often what makes the noises you are describing. You may need to defragment your computer.

To do this (if you have a PC)close ALL programs. Turn off your screen saver.
    Go to START then PROGRAMS then ACCESSORIES. Look down the list for SYSTEM TOOLS and SCAN DISK. Run this program first and do a thorough scan. Then

Go to START then PROGRAMS then ACCESSORIES. Look down the list for SYSTEM TOOLS and DISK DEFRAGMENTER. Run this program clicking on the boxes for a complete defrag. Then go to bed. If you have never done this before it may take a long time. Leave the computer on cause it can do this while you are busy doing something else - like sleeping. You cannot use the computer for anything else while you are defragging. All files must be closed so I do my before I go to bed and in the morning it is finished.

Running scandisk first corrects errors in some files. Defrag puts the files together and adds all the files to the front of the disk leaving empty space at the back for new files.

Depending on how much you use the computer you may need to do this once a week or once a month. There was a while where I needed to do it every couple of days.

oh and you might want to print this out first for reference if you have never done this before

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• mommy
    mommy

PLM,
    I am NO computer brain.I do know someone mentioned before that when you are here, and a poster has a box with a red "X" instead of a pic, then your computer attempts to find it on your hard drive. Or something like that haha. BTW you are one of those posters Nice "X"
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit