Why the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society BAN against Peace Officers serving as "Elders " for Jehovah's Witnesses ?

by Balaamsass 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• blondie
    blondie

More than law enforcement are required to report crimes. As to child abuse, teachers, social workers, doctors, nurses, (see list of mandated reporters in one state below), etc. No blanket forbidding of those professions.

You could be in law enforcement but as was said, you could not carry a weapon. Also security people sometimes carry weapons and as far as I know do not have the authority to arrest.

*** g03 2/22 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

The cover series on the police has made me want to ask a question. Would it be appropriate for one of Jehovah’s Witnesses to choose this occupation? I assume that if a fight ensued, you might have to pull a gun and use it, possibly killing someone.

J. S., Australia

“Awake!” responds: Our cover series simply acknowledged some of the beneficial work performed by the police in maintaining order and providing other necessary services. Most of Jehovah’s Witnesses avoid employment that would require them to carry a weapon, since they do not want to incur bloodguilt by taking a life. (Exodus 20:13; Matthew 26:51, 52) It should be noted, however, that there are many people employed by law-enforcement agencies who do not have to carry any kind of weapon, and in some countries most policemen do not carry guns.

*** w83 7/15 p. 26 pars. 18-19 “Seek Peace and Pursue It” ***

During these “last days,” many employees are expected to carry a firearm. Bank or security guards, watchmen and policemen may even be required to do so to hold employment. But what of the Christian, who is obligated to “provide for those who are his own”? (1 Timothy 5:8) His Bible-trained viewpoint would be different from that of worldly persons, who feel free to carry such weapons and to use them as they see fit in any dangerous situation that may arise. (Ephesians 5:15-17) He will want to avoid bloodguilt, having in mind Jehovah’s viewpoint on the sanctity of blood. (Genesis 9:6; Psalm 55:23) A mature Christian should try to find unarmed employment. Some Witnesses by talking with their employer have been successful in changing to a job that does not require carrying a weapon.

19 As the world becomes increasingly violent we can no longer regard as exemplary a brother who continues in armed employment. He could be allowed six months to make a change. If he does not make a change, he would not be in a position to hold special privileges of service and responsibility in the congregation.—1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:5, 6.

Mandated reporters in one state

Mandated Reporters ~ s. 48.981(2):

• Physicians
    • Coroners
    • Medical examiners
    • Nurses
    • Dentists
    • Chiropractors
    • Optometrists
    • Acupuncturists
    • A medical or mental health professional
    • Social workers
    • Marriage & family therapists
    • Professional counselors
    • Public assistance workers, including a financial & employment planner, as defined in s.49.141(1) (d), Stats.
    • School teachers
    • School administrators
    • School counselors
    • Mediators under s.767.11, Stats.
    • Child-care workers in a day care center, group home, as described in s.48.625(1m), Stats. (a "second chance home"), or residential care center for children and youth
    • Day care providers
    • Alcohol or other drug abuse counselors
    • Member of the treatment staff employed by or working under contract with a county department under s. 46.23, 51.42, or 51.437, Stats., or a residential care center for children and youth
    • Physical therapists
    • Physical therapist assistants
    • Occupational therapists
    • Dieticians
    • Speech-language pathologists
    • Audiologists
    • Emergency medical technicians
    • First responders
    • Police and law enforcement officers
    • Court-appointed special advocates (CASA)
  • Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

True Blondie, today just about everyone today seems to be a mandated reporter. But I was looking at information, GB, laws, and mindsets in the late 70s, and early 80s.

We had some some conversations on this subject at Bethel in the 70s. I listened to a couple of Governing Body yack about this subject. I also remember a number of NYC cops. Some were Elders. Also a JW FBI agent.

Some of the earliest child abuse reporting laws occured when Domestic Violence was becomming a national issue. Some Police Departments were almost sued out of existence "for failure to act". Manditory action started to become a big part of police work. I do remember some scutlebutt about a couple of Domestic Violence situations in a congregation I attended where a servant was also a cop and arrested the JW Husband. Then some thought it was horrible the JW husband was arrested by a brother...oh my .. "involving worldly authorities".

I can't quite remember... but I think the landmark case was in Rhode Island. It has been a long time though.

I do find it amuzing however, that a College educated, married, fully vetted FBI Agent would not qualify to be an Elder (Deacon) in a Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, but a High School drop-out, Pedophile, with a Felony record in another State could be considered if the "situation occured "a number of years ago". (Of course he would need to turn in 15 hrs of field service a month, give a good talk, and show up for all the meetings.) lol!!

• blondie
    blondie

Most of the jobs were mandatory reporters in the 80's, I know because I worked in law enforcement as a court officer and with detectives working child abuse cases...I found that younger, better trained officers were better at understanding the need to report. Most of the older officers were hired through nepotism and did not have the appropriate college background and came from a different generation. Even now people of all kinds would rather put their heads in the sand than be involved in the practical aspects of protecting children.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

In Texas it is a crime not to report child abuse of any sort. It applies to everyone.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Texas Family Code Sec. 261.109. FAILURE TO REPORT; PENALTY. (a) A person commits an offense if the person has cause to believe that a child's physical or mental health or welfare has been or may be adversely affected by abuse or neglect and knowingly fails to report as provided in this chapter.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, except that the offense is a state jail felony if it is shown on the trial of the offense that the child was a person with mental retardation who resided in a state supported living center, the ICF-MR component of the Rio Grande State Center, or a facility licensed under Chapter 252, Health and Safety Code, and the actor knew that the child had suffered serious bodily injury as a result of the abuse or neglect.

• flipper
    flipper

BALAAMSASS- Good thread. I agree with James Woods that it's in the blood and nature and training of ALL JW's to be handed down this attitude from the GB and WT leaders to " have a deep seated hatred of secular authorities ". They really ARE anarchists in the political sense, " they really respect only their own rules and authority " . Very true statement.

And Balaam, it makes perfect sense that those GB and upper WT people you mentioned would NOT want police checking on them due to alleged child abuse or misconduct by two of them. A bunch of smarmy characters back in Bethel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit