Why the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society BAN against Peace Officers serving as "Elders " for Jehovah's Witnesses ?

by Balaamsass 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

In the early 80s the Watchtower Society began to forbid any Police Officer from serving as a Ministerial Servant, Elder or even viewed as "Exemplary". WHY??

At the time I was told it was because of firearms, possible bloodguilt, and being men of Violence- "Smiters".

As a young person it just didn't make sense to me. I knew and liked a few Peace Officers who served as Elders. Great guys. Seemed like John Wayne to me. They didn't like criminals...had a sixth sense for them..and they hated child abuse. It got "Handled" ..untill they got "taken out of the loop" in the 80s.

The gun thing, well didn't Abraham go to War to rescue Lot? Didn't Jesus have the apostles do a weapon check after passover? Didn't he sent out the 70-armed?

Interesting thing..the big change in attitude in Bethel came after Knorr died, and when "steam room Freddy" Franz, Greenlees, and Chitty were on the governing Body. In the 70s the gay community, (and NAMBLA ) were not fond of COPS. Does anyone remember the "Stonewall riots? They were a series of spontaneous, violent demonstrations against a police raid that took place in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, at the Stonewall Inn, in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City." That was recent history in NYC in the late 70s and early 80s.

But more importantly MANDITORY REPORTING by SWORN POLICE OFFICERS began to instituted by Western Governments. PERHAPS THIS WAS A KEY REASON. Any Elder would have a legal duty to REPORT or ARREST a congregation RAPIST, CHILD MOLESTER, or WIFE BEATER not just have a confidential discussion or make a call to Watchtower legal.

75% of Elders in rural areas keep guns to this day. Have you heard of any issue being made of this? JUST COPS............hummmmmmm

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You seem to imply Fred Franz was gay. I don't think that was the case, weird certainly, but not gay.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Actually slimboy, I can't say. He was nice to me. Had no fashion sense, and his room decorating was dreadful. Wanting to study the bible in the steamroom did creep me out.....however.

In any organization, managablity is important. If turning criminals over to the authorities becomes a "situational ethics" thing, Cops are not "manageable".

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Interesting post.. I always wondered this myself. Police Officers are exemplary in their desire to protect and uphold the law but you are correct about not using them in the congregation. Why is that? I need to do some research and find out why. It certainly cant be the gun thing because I know elders and ms's who own rifles and crossbows for hunting.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interesting idea, mandatory reporters not allowed to have positions of responsibility and knowledge of criminal activity. Too bad you can't prove it.

• Devil_Fish
    Devil_Fish

Makes perfect sence.

D_F

• james_woods
    james_woods

The facts are that the Witnesses have a deep-seated hatred of the secular authorities.

In the political sense, they are actually anarchists - they really respect only their own rules and authority.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I remember when that article came out (in the Watchtower). It had to do more with "armed employment" where they might be obligated to use deadly force in the course of their job. That applies to security guards, police officers, etc. As I recall there was also something in that article about owning a gun being frowned upon but not forbidden.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Can't say I am a great fan of the police either.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

One of the rare good decisions of the Society.

NOLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit