Penn State pays for covering up Sandusky crimes, BIG TIME

by talesin 33 Replies latest social current

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I think the NCAA should have revoked Penn State's membership in the Association. To me, the penalty doesn't go far enough. The football program made 52 million last year so this is essentially a 1 year salary fine. SMU got a 3 year death penalty for paying it's players and getting caught. How much worse is what Penn St did? The administration at that school is downright evil for having allowed this to go on as long as it did.

• moshe
    moshe

College boys need to stop being stooges for University football profits, by putting their future health at risk - Head and joint trauma from this sport often takes years to show up and then it's too late to undue to damage.

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

Forget the Football program.....Penn State as a University is done. The sport's program as a whole will not get any recruits and the academic side will have a hard getting students to attend. It's OVER for that communities revenue.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

does this go far enough? they covered up CHILD MOLESTATION.

they give out the 'death penalty' (i dnon what that means for ncaa) for recruiting violations, but they don't give it out when the school is covering for one of the coaches RAPING KIDS IN THE SHOWERS???

sorry that doesn't sit well with me and frankly, paterno should be stripped of all wins

• Londo111
    Londo111

Since it is obvious that Satan is persecuting Penn State, as he is persecuting the Watchtower, perhaps this is the one university that Witnesses should be allowed to go to. Penn State must be approved by Jehovah.

(in case nobody recognized it…that was sarcasm)

• Bella15
    Bella15

LOVE IT !!!!

Since it is obvious that Satan is persecuting Penn State, as he is persecuting the Watchtower, ..

I am going to use this reasoning with my sister ...

• talesin
    talesin

BA - keep in mind, this was splashed all over the news - if the WTBTS got this much publicity, maybe they would make a public show as well.

The public outcry about this crime was, for me, heartening. I know that football is akin to a "religion" south of the border (I love it, too!), and it was a bitter pill for many to swallow.

Re: this vs the death penalty.

I did a bit of checking on the SMU thing - they were sanctioned, but with the new playoff rules, I do think this is a bit harsher punishment. Traditionally, criminal sentences for child molestation are much lighter than for financial crimes. The whole thing about players being paid has kinda turned into a joke anyway (imho), because they just hide the 'perks' as gifts.

This is not the first scandal to hit the sports world. In Canada, Sheldon Kennedy (NHL) came forward about his abuse by a coach. He was a vulnerable child, and was groomed by his coach/molester. And Sheldon was not his ONLY victim.

This report from Feb 2012, about the ongoing charges - this monster will be free to molest again!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/02/21/calgary-sheldon-kennedy-graham-james.html

James was sentenced to three and half years in 1997 for abusing Kennedy and two others, and in December he pleaded guilty to the abuse of yet two more, including former NHL star Theo Fleury.

"What we're probably going to deal with tomorrow is a conditional sentence," Kennedy told the Senate committee studying Bill C-10, the Conservative government's massive crime bill.

"You know, Graham James is going to walk -- again. That's not right."

Kennedy said that in the community of Swift Current, Sask., in the early 1990s, population 20,000, many people knew something was amiss with the high-profile junior coach, but nobody spoke out.

"There was a lot of people that knew what Graham James was doing in that town, but didn't have the confidence to act on their gut," said Kennedy.

(bold is mine)

It is my hope that the example of Penn State, along with that of the recent exposure of rampant sexual abuse within the Boy Scouts, will help to promote a new awareness in the public:

When children are in vulnerable situations, pedos will be there! All programs for children need to be carefully monitored. Parents need to educate their kids about good and bad touch, and make sure the child knows that s/he can come to dad/mom if anyone makes them feel uncomfortable!

tal

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm just wondering if some would feel differently if "WTS" or "Catholic Church" were substituted for "Penn State University"?

If you converted from NCAA punishments to WTBS equivalents I'd be fine with it.

Limitations on scholarships = limitations on all appointments above MS

No bowl appearances = no field service or conventions

Players free to find new teams = everybody can go join a new religion

The publicity would be priceless and most people would love the idea that these nuts would have to stop banging on their doors in the morning

edited to add, I forgot one

Erasing Paterno's record is about like telling the WTBS they can't mention the Governing Body. I suspect that die hard Penn State fans think taking Joe out of the record books is more quivalent to telling the Watchtower they can't say "Jehovah."

• talesin
    talesin

I also wanted to say that I agree this is not enough, but in a different way.

Those who covered up this crime -- ie, the higher-ups, should have been punished to the full extent of the law.

tal

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I'm in the middle of reading the Freeh report. It's long and detailed, extremely detailed. So far what I've seen is that the guys like the A.D. and the University President were the ones who were the ringleaders of the coverup. I believe that they really tried to use Paterno as a scapegoat in the end. Don't get me wrong, Paterno was at least somewhat culpable but I think that his greatest error was trusting these people above him. I think that they deserve criminal prosecution at least as severe as Sandusky got.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's the feeling I get.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit