Penn State pays for covering up Sandusky crimes, BIG TIME

by talesin 33 Replies latest social current

• talesin
    talesin

This sends a clear message to other universities who may be harboring child molesters.

Excerpt:

The sanctions by the governing body of college sports, which capped eight months of turmoil on the central Pennsylvania campus, stopped short of delivering the "death penalty" of shutting down the sport. But the NCAA hit Penn State with $60 million in fines, ordered it out of the postseason for four years, and will cap scholarships at 20 below the normal limit for four years.

Other sanctions five years' probation, and the NCAA also said that any current or incoming football players are free to immediately transfer and compete at another school.

NCAA President Mark Emmert announced the staggering sanctions at a news conference in Indianapolis. Though the NCAA stopped short of the "death penalty," the punishment is so harsh it's more like a slow-death penalty.

They also crushed the Paterno legacy:

By vacating 112 Penn State victories from 1998-2011, the sanctions cost Paterno 111 wins. Former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden will now hold the top spot in the NCAA record book with 377 major-college wins. Paterno, who was fired days after Sandusky was charged, will be credited with 298 wins.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/breaking-news/2012/jul/23/2/penn-st-penalties-include-60m-fine-vacated-wins-bo-ar-439086/

tal

• talesin
  • Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Taleson,

Sad isn't it when a bunch of guys in a FOOTBALL "Governing Body" have higher moral standards and a better compass than a "Governing Body" in Religion...isn't it.

Did you catch OODADS quote from the new ELDERS MANUAL?

According to the new Shepherd the Flock of God book, it is apparently now permissible for known child abusers to be recommended as elders as long as the "sin" was years in the past:

"For example, the sin may involve past child abuse, and this would likely disqualify him for years." - Shepherd the Flock of God, p. 38 (2010)

Note that this potential "disqualification" is only "likely" and could only be "for years". I don't think you're going to find THAT in the R&F editions of the WT or Awake!

Makes me want to throw up.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Oh I heard Sandusky was "Studying" while this all was going on ...with Glen Campbell (but he dont remember anymore)

:o( Like a Rhinestone Cowboy......

• iceguy
    iceguy

I was hoping for the "Death Penalty" but I suppose this is the next best thing. It may take Penn St decades to recover from this.

• Bella15
    Bella15

I was also hoping for death penalty ... but this is a HUGE MESSAGE and will serve as precedent for others ...

I plan to write and fax the NCAA to thank them.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association
    700 W. Washington Street
    P.O. Box 6222
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222
    Phone: 317/917-6222
    Fax: 317/917-6888

• Quendi
    Quendi

The announced sanctions against Penn State as levied by the NCAA are far harsher than the "death penalty" ever would have been. Think of it: a $60 million dollar fine, the money to go to an outside program and fund to aid abuse victims; a reduction in scholarships over a four-year period to the point where the school cannot recruit enough top-flight players to field a consistently winning program; and no bowl appearances for four years with the additional revenues such games bring in. In addition, the Big 10 Conference ruled the school cannot share any bowl revenues other conference schools earn during the life of the sanctions, a penalty expected to cost the university an additional $13 million.

By contrast, the "death penalty" would have suspended the football program for one year, reduced scholarships for that time, but then allowed the school to field a team and compete at pre-penalty levels. These sanctions go way beyond what the death penalty would have mandated. The penalties are harsh, long-lasting, and just. But I still don't believe the NCAA really cares about child abuse victims or if it does that concern has come only in the wake of the Sandusky horrors. The NCAA has taken this action because if it gave Penn State a slap on the wrist, its own existence would have been put in serious jeopardy.

The organization has been very lax, inconsistent, and hypocritical in its rulings and actions in recent years. Criticism was mounting, pressure was growing, and fans were getting angry. This case gave the NCAA the golden opportunity to clean up its image, take the high road, and begin its own rehabilitation. It can seize command of intercollegiate athletics once again with these sanctions because the message they give is that the days of condoning illegal and illicit activities in college sports are over. That message probably will need to be reinforced with hard-hitting action against other violaters for it and the organization to be taken seriously again.

That is the real reason behind today's actions. There may be some real concern for the victims of child sexual abuse--but I honestly think that concern is secondary. More important to the NCAA was a reasserting of its authority and reclaiming its status as a potent governing agency for college sports. Time will tell if that actually comes to pass.

Quendi

• blondie
    blondie

I'm just wondering if some would feel differently if "WTS" or "Catholic Church" were substituted for "Penn State University"?

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Good. I will be interested to see how many players now abandon ship now that the NCAA has done this and said that players are free to transfer schools. I would imagine the idea of playing football for Penn State has now lost its luster and they will have a much harder time recruiting. This will be interesting to follow.

• Glander
    Glander

They deserve all the penalties without question. The legacy of Paterno deserves to be brought down. Too bad for the good young men who played the games and excelled. But right is right.

If I were one of those in a responsible position who had the abuse brought to my attention I would react as though a needle had been stuck in my eye. The very idea that they let this go for 14 years is inexcusable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit