"Queen of Soul Food" Sylvia Woods dies.

by ohiocowboy 18 Replies latest social current

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Friend of mine told the story and she was quite knowledgeable about the whole deal even the bank that got involved with the loan and so forth, also heard it from a friends aunt who lives in the neighborhood of the restaurant.

She just had an opportunity to sell it to some folks, that promised her money needless to say and some other little goodies to go along with that, but the kicker is, and I've heard this from a few people, is that the true "behind the scene owners" of the restaurant or either Chinese or Japanese !

You've probably seen in the supermarket that she now has her own canned goods, so of course the current owners helped her with that. It's the same story that some of "us" do when we get successful. Berry Gordy sold Motown, if you've heard of beauty products called "Carol's Daugher" she did the same thing, started out small, sold the company, now her products are sold in Macy's and other major Dept stores and are offered on HSN.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Dooky Chase's spirit must be groaning out loud!

I've heard of Carol's Daughter - my non-JW daughter swears her products are the best.

Here is a true story: A Vietnamese man opened an eatery here that sells really good food. I mean ol' boy can throw down!

I asked him where he learned to cook like that. He said he learned from a Black lady who lived next door to him.

Tee hee hee.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Sylvie that story reminds me of a story I saw on the news about thirty years ago but I've never forgotten it, I'm sure you've heard of the Chinatown area here in NY, each borough has one but the one in Manhattan is the one that get's most of tourists, this news reporter went to an old, authentic Chinese restaurant there, took the cameras in the kitchen, and the reporter even says " well, after seeing all that food you're probably who the chef is. . . I guess brothaman learned to cook like that when he was in the war or something, because I'm telling you, that was an "oldl-style authentic" Chinese restaurant, where all the Chinese gather and you have a hard time placing your order because most of the waitstaff are all Chinese !

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

sylvia's sounded awesome back in the day.

i live close to it and i've had it once. never again.

no offense, bt my family knows soul food. i mean...we are mostly black. sylvia's had no soul.

if you're a soul food restarant in harlem and 9/10 times the only people eating there are white...it doesn't count as soul food.

amy ruth's however is so good you'll cry.

don't get me started on mexican food out here...

• snowbird
  • Room 215
    Room 215

Hey Rather Be in Hades, what do you think of Marcus Samuelsson's Red Rooster?

• Room 215
    Room 215

You too, ShirleyW, what do you think of Red Rooster?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I haven't been to Red Rooster, but I've read a few reviews of the place, and it always gets a good rating.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i've yet to go but that place is always crowded on weekends. i'm planning on going soon. i do owe someone a date there :P

it looks nice, but it's fnny...the only comments i've heard about it came from people who've never been there. society is strange sometimes. i say give it a shot if you're in the area. all arond lenox and 125th/126th there's some really nice looking places.

right next to red rooster is chez lucienne which is alright

cove lounge is brand new and opened on the opposite side of the street from sylvia's and there's a corner upscale restaurant and bar next to cove lounge. i've yet to go to any of the places except sylvia's and chez lcienne, but i'm amped to try the other places too. harlem is definitely changing.

that said...amy ruth's...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamy ruth's lol. i'm pretty sre it's on 116th and it's amazing. just be prepared for the itis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit