"Queen of Soul Food" Sylvia Woods dies.

by ohiocowboy 18 Replies latest social current

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

The owner of Sylvia's restaurant in Harlem has died. She was very famous for her restaurant. The last time I was in New York, I had the treat of eating food from there through a recommendation of one of the locals. I had ribs, Collards, cornbread, and a cup of collard broth which is nicknamed "Pot likker" to dip the cornbread in. It was awesome! The ribs were like butter that fell of of the bones, and the collard greens were exceptional too, and not a pile of mush from overcooking that many places seem to do that do not know how to cook them correctly. The BBQ sauce is a bit sweet, but still went with the ribs really well. You can even buy the sauce at supermarkets throughout the USA.

I assume that her restaurant will stay open, as it is so popular with people from all over the world. Below is Mrs. Woods Obit, and I have also linked to the restaurant menu so that the next time you are in New York you can sample some of the delicious food. For a restaurant in New York, the prices are awesomely inexpensive for the superb "Down home" quality of the food. I guarantee you will love it!

I can't wait to take my Partner to New York so that I can show him what real food tastes like, and among the authentic New York Pizzas and other goodies, an order from Sylvia's will be top on the list!!!

RIP to a wonderful and brilliant Lady.

Mrs. Woods Obituary

Sylvia's restaurant menu

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

now that explains why there was all those cameras by sylvias the other day.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I always plan to eat there when I'm in New York, but I haven't made it yet. Maybe some day.

That's an interesting obit of a great American success story. Thanks for posting, OC.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I ate there in 1998. It was a very memorable meal.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i hate to rain on anyone's parade but...sylvia's is nice to visit, but not great food at all. maybe it was back then, but not now :(

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Her restaurant’s first menu included fried chicken, greens, pork chops and a “poor man’s plate” that featured pig’s tails, lima beans and rice.

I've eaten many a "poor man's plate" - always with pinto beans, though.

Rest in peace, Sylvia.

You've earned it.

• snowbird
    snowbird

bump

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Sylvia "sold out" about twenty or more years ago, so her food ain't what it used to be, the restaurant is still successful, due to tourists and people in the neighborhood.

• Glander
    Glander

I think the fact that she lived to 86 is a testimony to good, simple food, whether the nanny state approves of it or not.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Do tell us more, ShirleyW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit