Jehovah's Witnesses vs. Pharisees

by processor 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• processor
    processor

Also here: http://eng.svhelden.info/?page_id=22

Similarities between Pharisees and Jehovah’s Witnesses

Pharisees (according to Watchtower publications)

Jehovah’s Witnesses

The Pharisees constituted a prominent sect of Judaism in the days of Jesus’ earthly ministry. They tried to keep themselves separate from others, including fellow Jews. (w77 6/15 380)

Jehovah’s Witness constitute a prominent sect of Christendom in our day. They try to keep themselves separate from others, including fellow Christians.

As a body, the Pharisees were concerned about establishing their own righteousness. They scrupulously paid the tenth of such small products as mint, dill and cummin. (Matt. 23:23) On a regular basis, they would fast for religious reasons. (Matt. 9:14) They were concerned about observing traditions to the letter, especially in connection with Sabbath observance and the washing of hands. (w77 6/15 380)

As a body, Jehovah’s Witnesses are concerned about establishing their own righteousness. Multiple times per week they study the Bible and their publications. On a regular basis, they share in the house-to-house ministry. They are concerned about observing Watchtower doctrines, especially in connection with congregation meeting attendance and the preaching from house to house.

Along with this, the Pharisees wanted to impress others with their righteousness and therefore made a public display of it. They did this even in their dress. The Mosaic law required the Israelites to have fringed edges on the skirts of their garments. … The Pharisees took this a step farther. They enlarged the fringed edges of their garments in order to stand out among the people. (w77 6/15 380, 381)

Along with this, Jehovah’s Witnesses want to impress others with their righteousness and therefore make a public display of it. They do this even in their dress. The Bible requires Christians to dress “with modesty and soundness of mind”. Jehovah’s Witnesses take this a step farther. They dictate the exact type of clothing, ban pantsuits for women (even during winter), and regularly discuss about the length of skirts.

Because of what they did, the Pharisees felt superior to fellow Israelites who did not observe the Law according to the Pharisees’ traditional interpretation. Their attitude is reflected in a prayer that Jesus Christ, in one of his illustrations, represents as being spoken by a Pharisee. … The Pharisees actually looked with contempt upon those who failed to observe the great body of rabbinic tradition. (w77 6/15 381)

Because of what they do, Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that they are “the only true religion” and “God’s people”. Hence they feel superior to fellow Christians who do not observe the Bible according to the Watchtower’s interpretation. Their attitude is reflected in a Watchtower article: “’Righteous’ means meeting God’s standard, not man’s. Worldly men occupy their minds with unrighteous schemes.” Jehovah’s Witnesses actually look with contempt upon those who refuse to live according to Watchtower doctrines and avoid any closer contact with them.

It appears the Pharisees thought that defilement resulted from contact with people who did not observe the Law according to their traditional view. (Luke 7:36-40) So Jesus’ associating and even eating with reputed sinners and tax collectors gave them occasion to object. (w77 6/15 381)

It appears Jehovah’s Witnesses think that defilement results from contact with people who do not observe the Bible according to the Watchtower interpretation. So a member’s associating or even eating with someone who is not a Jehovah’s Witness gives the elders occasion to object.

Their attitude toward God’s law and fellow Israelites did violence to the spirit of that law, making it burdensome to the people. They lost sight of the weightier matters of the Law—justice, mercy, faithfulness and love of God. (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42-44) As Jesus pointed out regarding the Sabbath: “The sabbath came into existence for the sake of man, and not man for the sake of the sabbath.” (w77 6/15 381, 382)

Jesus declared that … the Pharisees, had added many things, making the Law burdensome for the people to follow, loading the people down. (it-2 878)

Their attitude toward the Bible and fellow Christians does violence to the spirit of Christianity, making the Bible’s commands burdensome to Christians. Jehovah’s Witnesses lost sight of the weightier matters of the Christian doctrine – charity, mercy, faithfulness and love of God.

“The congregation came into existence for the sake of Christians, and not Christians for the sake of the congregation.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses have added many things to the Bible (ca. 50 Watchtower study articles and numerous other publications every year), making it burdensome for the people to follow all these instructions. They keep loading the people down.

In areas that really touched the lives of people, their sticking to human precepts was responsible for serious injury. For example, children could get out of helping aged and needy parents by claiming that all their property was dedicated to God. (w77 6/15 382)

In areas that really touch the lives of people, their sticking to human precepts is responsible for serious injury. For example, Christians can get out of helping needy persons by claiming that all their time was dedicated to the preaching work.

The Christian Greek Scriptures reveal that the Pharisees fasted twice each week, tithed scrupulously … and did not agree with the Sadducees. (it-2 625)

Their publications reveal that Jehovah’s Witnesses meet twice each week, report their field service hours scrupulously and do not agree with other Christian groups.

The Pharisees were so biased in their application of the Law that they made it burdensome for the people, insisting that it be observed according to their concepts and traditions. (it-2 625)

Jehovah’s Witnesses are so biased in their application of the Bible that they make it burdensome for their followers, insisting that it be observed according to their concepts and traditions.

The Pharisees went to great lengths in making proselytes. (it-2 625)

Jehovah’s Witnesses go to great lengths in making converts.

To a blind man whom Jesus had cured on the Sabbath they said concerning Jesus: “This is not a man from God, because he does not observe the Sabbath.” (it-2 625, 626)

Regarding members of other religions groups who perform works of Christian charity they say: “These people are not Christians because they don’t go from house to house.”

Jesus voiced God’s rejection of the Pharisees: … “This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.” (w95 10/15 29)

Jehovah’s Witnesses honor God with their lips (in their field ministry). But this is in vain, because (at the people’s doors as well as in their meetings) they teach commands of men (from the Watchtower) as doctrines.

The Pharisee prayed: “O God, I thank you I am not as the rest of men, ... or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week, I give the tenth of all things I acquire.” (w87 7/15 10)

The pioneer prayed: “O God, I thank you I am not as the rest of men, worldlings, or even as this inactive one. I preach 70 hours a month, I visit all five congregation meetings.”

• carla
  • designs
    designs

Nothing in the New Testament about the Pharisees is true.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Nice! Marking for later. Thank you.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Designs:

"Nothing in the New Testament about the Pharisees is true."

Why do you say this? Any examples?

(Asked in a spirit of curiosity and to understand your viewpoint, not as a challenge.)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I think in a fight mano y mano, the Pharisees would lose against the WTBTS.

The WT has a better legal team!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Based on observations, the witless religion is not fully Christian as they claim. They are half Jewish and half Christian--Pharisaic Jewish and Pauline Christian at that. This gives them the worst of both religious platforms.

And within the organization, there are individuals that introduce mock Jewish codes of their own to emulate Jehovah. For what, I don't know. But they will hint that, unless I give up certain things or use certain types of products, I am not fully righteous and could well die at Armageddon. They claim to be teaching me to obey Jehovah--I thought that was Jewish, not Christian and the witlesses don't claim to be the one true Jewish religion. They claim to be the one true Christian religion--no hybrid is the truth in either.

At least, with Satan you don't have a bunch of self-righteous idiots trying to proclaim they know what combinations of items I should be using.

• designs
    designs

Bobcat- Do some research on the history of the Pharisees, their schools their ideas from a Jewish source, also, like I encourage anyone to do who wants to understand Judaism, speak with a local Rabbi and attend Synagogue. The New Testament was a thinly veiled polemic against Judaism and most of what is in the Gospels and the writings of Paul about Judaism is loaded with false arguments.

Remember how the Wt. Trinity brochure falsely describes the Trinity, the New Testament is like that in describing Judaism.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

In areas that really touch the lives of people, their sticking to human precepts is responsible for serious injury. For example, Christians can get out of helping needy persons by claiming that all their time was dedicated to the preaching work. Aint that the truth!!!

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

This comparison would still be useful in showing the similarities to JWs, who actually do believe that these things were true of the Pharisees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit