Was your fade easy or difficult? Let me know ur fade story

by dazed but not confused 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

When i started to fade it was pretty easy for me. I would tell my wife i was too tired or not feeling well to make it to the theocratic min school. i have a pretty exhausting job. in demolition. I would go maybe once a month. then i went from 7 or 8 hrs in service to 1 or 2. sundays were always hit and miss. that was over abt 2 years. then one night after some research abt the blood issue i tore up my blood card and told my wife abt it a week latter. then i stopped going for abt 4 or 5 weeks all together and my wife asked me if i was going to go anymore to the meetings. i told her no and explained some of the reasons why i came to my conclusion. she cried and was pretty upset for abt a week but i think she knew it was coming.

a few weeks after that she told me she was just happy i wasnt drinking or using leaving as an excuse to drink and that i am a good provider. she said she just wanted me to be happy with whatever i chose. one of the hardest parts was seeing everyone around me, my so called friends, shun me.

WHEN YOUR 'IN' YOUR A GUEST. WHEN YOUR OUT YOUR A PEST!

There is one friend that will talk to me but only briefly and only on the phone. his wife doesn't like him hanging out with me. shes got him by the balls.
    also my mom and sister who are in the "truth" are in another state. if my family were in the same area, it would have been a bit harder.

Dazed

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It was easy. It was 1976, the wheels had fallen off Jehovah's chariot, and I'd forgotten to get baptised.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

My mom was baptized in 1974. I cant believe she stayed after the "wheels fell off". i'd love to go back in time and knock some sense into her.

• Diest
    Diest

Its never completely easy but it is always worth it.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

For me it was a long time coming although I managed to "hang on" and serve as a MS almost to the end. My excuse to fade was a new job that had me travel extensively so I missed many meetings and service. I asked the elders to remove me as a MS because I felt I was no longer an exemple for the congregation, especially after a CO visit where we were told that work should come secondary to our service privileges. I was not at the meeting when they made the announcement but my wife said that many were surprised and sad. Then there was the DC in 2010 where I heard the famous "generation" talk - that same day we also had the WT review on the same subject. I watched the audience and there was zero reaction even amongst the elderly sitting at ice level. I just couldn't believe it. On the way home I told my wife that I had attended my last meeting..of course there was a lot of tears...since then she doesn't put up a fuss and we avoid discussing religion. After a year two elders came to visit me, but I kept them at the door and told them I knew where the KHall is and that I would call them if I felt I needed their help...that was their only attempt to bring me back. Since I left, the phone never rings for me and likewise I avoid all contacts with JWs even when they invite my wife and extend the invitation to me. This way no one get their hopes up that I may come back.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

mine was very difficult. i spent a lot of time kicking myself over being so stupid and for throwing away my childhood. i still do that to this day, but at least i'm starting to forgive myself...5/6 years later.

my fade started when i was 18. i was sick of how many of the jws acted around me. i think if we're honest with ourselves, in this day and age, MOST kids raised in lead double lives to an extent. ok so that statement leaves a lot of wiggle room, so in my experience, i'd guesss at least 2/3 of the young ones start leading doble lives and bounce on out. kids in prominent jw families, kids who were the type to be on district conventions and circuit assembly parts...were some of the most egregious offenders. now i'm not saintly by any stretch, however i have to say, if you're gonna be a jw, then for godssake act like one. it's NOT cool to call yourself a jw, to put up a false facade that you're some high spirited pioneer from a family that's at the top of the jw food chain, yet condoms fall out of your purse at a party...i can't imagine why a jw would need that if they aren't married...

that though, wasn't the biggest stumbling block for me. it was the way people treated me. i was absolutely sick of that. i gave up my dream schools in order to stay faithful and i felt that i'd always have the love of the congregation. turns out that love is a fraud. so my fade started when i was 18, the day i left the congregation i grew up in and moved to a congregation that had even less love for me. at the time, i started hanging out with some guys i met in a local college, we were taking classes together, and i stopped hanging out with witnesses. eventually i slowly faded away.

before the final meeting though, my mom convinced me to go to therapy. at the time i was really strggling with depression. little did my mother know, it had more to do with my loss of faith than anything to do with a simple physical imparity. everyone wants to throw fcking pills at you like that's the cure. how about getting out the goddamn cult? but i digress...

i started therapy and every session, at least at first, my therapist would want to talk about my father. now i'll be frank, my relationship didn't end with him on a high note. it actally ended with me legally changing my middle and last name, getting a restraining order and almost in me beating his head in with an aluminum baseball bat. so she was jstified in trying to get me to talk about him. however, i would each time say, well i didn't have a good father, but he's not mch of an issue for me. i didn't REALLY live with him and it's not like he was in my life every single day.i DID always go into how unhappy i was, that i had no real friends, that i was lonely as all hell and that my childhood scked ass and that i was losing faith. oh, but i always managed to say, please don't tell my mother about what i said. as a jehovah's witness, i'm not supposed to be saying anything bad about the organization. odd during my therapy, i'd always swing back to that interesting point. i'd always talk about how nhappy i was not going off to college, not doing...normal kid stuff. i mean, it's no big deal to miss your prom if you're from an area when there is no such thing as prom, but we're social creatres and dammit i'm from an area that has proms for their students. everyone goes, it's a rite of fucking passage. your first date, first kiss, first snogging (i love that word). all rites of passage. i always thought michel de montaigne was interesting. his concepts of normalcy and how that plays a major factor in how we humans work always struck me as spot on.

eventually it was clear that therapy alone wasn't gonna do it. i was either gonna have to get out and correct my life, or take some pills. i opted to take some pills. i mean, leaving just means everlasting destruction. so i started seeing both a psychologist and a psychiatrist. i'd see each person once a week and that still wasn't cutting it and finally, i'd say after a year of blffing to everyone and putting on a fake smile, i said enough is enough and i'll never take the pills again. i'll also never set foot inside a kingdom hall again.

so i stopped, but as that one thread says, 'the day you leave the hall is not the day the hall leaves you.' my decision tormented me and there were many times i'd defiantly look up and tell god i'd rather die than serve you for another second. i could never worship a god that did such heinous things like wiping out cities and peoples in floods and catastrophes. my god would not create such an amazing universe of such complex and intelligent beauty, but make such a convoluted set of rules in a book that was open to interpretation that clearly had false teachings in it and there's no way my god would force me to believe in miracles without direct proof. what nonsense is that? "oh yea, i know yo didn't see 'em cuz you're 2000 years too late, but trst me yo, my little boy came down to earth and he was healing the hell outta people. no pills or nothing. it was a miracle...like that wheat i gave to the watchtower."

so there were a lot of really gly ups and downs. the scales started falling from my eyes and i'll admit, i started panicking bc i started feeling old. i know it's silly to feel that at 20 or so, but here's the thing, up until that point, i realized i had not experienced life. at all, that everything i thought and believed was a lie. i felt i had to catch up and instead of motivating me to be gung ho and grab life by the short and curlies, it sank me into frther depression.

fading is easier for some than for others. i think it depends on just how deep you were in it, what you sacrificed along the way for it and i'm sure there's a ton of factors that go along with it, bt for me, those two things really rocked me in a bad way.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

wow. thanks for sharing "rather be in hades". theres alot you spoke about that i can relate to... depression, throwing pills at the prob. in an unloving cong where people dont "really" care for you. No communication with dad. not truly experiencing life.

Thanks again for ur post

NVR2L8- looking back the "generations" change in doctrine got me wondering abt everything else that changed over the years with the society. That is abt when I started to question everything.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Marking to read and comment, hopefully tomorrow.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

no problem dazed. i really like the topic. it's fascinating. i always thought no one would ever understand me, but being on this site and some of the others, i feel like here i can find people who do. so far i've had 2 therapists and a psychiatrist and each time, it always came back to the organization. doesn't that seem odd? that for some reason, i always came back to 'god's organization' when trying to describe why i hated life. that's not a very loving god. the past year was absolute hell on earth for me and two siucide attempts, the loss of some people close to me and especially the passing of my grandmother, man i hit rock bottom. it took me from about 18-26/almost 27 but finally i feel like my mind is clear and i can comprehend what it was i went through, lost and what i can do to regain my life.

how is it a loving god would put us in a position that we'd have to shun family members?

how is it a loving god would force me to believe in something i have no proof in? the miracles issue really bugs me. i swept things nder the rg for so many years. i love science and math and there was no way i could reconcile what i knew about evolution and the big bang. i mean there's no way as a jehovah's witness that you can reconcile those two things. clearly there was a big bang and if i remember right, the creation book mentions the universal expansion signature that radiates throughout the universe...which i could've sworn was proof of the big bang. the cognitive dissonance was strong within me. somehow i managed to believe in both evolution and the big bang, and i could believe in genesis (maybe i didn't but i never had to defend it thank god). i just told myself both were true...somehow. honestly i'd say neither one necessarily proves there is no god, just that the bible is a crock of shit.

how is it a loving god would say that homosexuality is wrong, yet there's a mltitude of people who are born gay? is that a loving brden to place on someone? is that a loving way to test someone? actually, i thought jehovah didn't test us...

why is there tobacco on the planet if god says don't do it? ok i don't like smoking but still...

why is there marijuana if god would say never do it? yea i'm a hypocrite. i love my brownies though. nothing better than trying to understand some weird math while high. i'm a nerd...

frankly, the whole issue of letting the system continue, ok well at any point that god decides now is the time, someone is not going to havfe a chance at learning before armageddon starts. there's no logic in that at all and i always swept it under the rug. there's so much under that rug that i have no idea how i was able to put anything more under it.

i just don't understand how god would give us an instruction manal for life, bt make it so convoluted that we have bddhists, christians, muslims, jews, shintos, and within christians...you have baptists, catholics, pentecostals, jehovah's witnesses, protestants and even within those groups, you have off shoots like opus dei and southern baptists. you have methodists, deists, etc. yet we're all spposed to be jdged according to a set of rules that clearly no one understands.

wow i went off topic. sorry about that. thank you for the topic. i definitely look forward to seeing more responses.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I am in mine. I did something I am not sure others have done before. I LIED to them! I am an American living in Mexico. Said I was moving back to the states. Told them to transfer my card to my home cong. They did. Case so far...closed....It will be two years in October.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit