New here

by konceptual99 60 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Good advice one and all. I've no idea how all of this will turn out. I know I love my wife and kids and want the best for them. I know I can't dismiss everything I have believed since my childhood overnight. I know there are many sincere and good people that I associate with. I know I have a lot to be thankful for in my life that I attribute to the way I have been brought up and the principles that are there in the Bible.

I also know I can't be in a no mans land forever. If the "truth" is really not the "truth" then what's the point of subjecting myself and my family to the rules and regulations?

• cedars
    cedars

Great advice from leavingwt - do we have permission to copy and paste in the future, with a nod to your authorship?

Cedars

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Hello,

Many of us went through what you're going and many are at different stages of their exit. Most already told you to take it slow and I can't emphasize enough to research, research, and research some more. If there is anything in particular you want just ask as all of wts' publications are in pdf.

You didn't say how your wife is, is she a firm believer in everything said by wts or has she awaken to the lie as well. One aspect of kids that I haven't read being said is you have to be careful with them that they don't grow older in the jw world only to shun you for leaving or even having different opinion than wts. This has happened to others.

Your friends in jw land are not real friends as most if not all will leave you once you fade or leave. Since you did awaken, the chances are you will do either within time as it will be too much to listen to pure lies and hypocrasy over time. Longer you stay and research your material you will see the misquotes, outright twisted reasoning and selective quotes throughout wts material and it will just get harder and harder to sit through meetings presenting these lies as facts.

Once you learn deep secrets of wts, it may be harder to keep this information just to yourself so be careful what you tell anyone that isn't awaken, which means your friends, family and even your wife and child. WTS is structured like a totalitarian system where one will rat you out to the elders and you may get shunned. This obviously varies with personalities and congregations but be cautious what you say - remember the jw saying that the new ones should be locked up for a year so they don't say anything stupid to the worldly people, well similar idea applies to awaken individuals but not because what they've learned is stupid but because they may lose everyone in wts that they considered friend or family.

Wish you all the best, you have a long journey ahead of you with many life changing decisions for yourself and most likely you wife and child.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Your children are very fortunate to have you. They have a dad who values honesty of heart, mind and values. Your children are growing and children can adapt to change, honesty of heart, mind and values more quickly, and easily if half a chance.

Your valid questions to facts and reasonableness will help your children to do so in their way, a little at a time. Hopefully you can have your kids hold off from any baptism for a long time, or preferably at all.

Family activities, hikes and museum visits, encouragement for them to do extracurriculars, sports, arts, long term goal of college, etc. works. Instead of just tearing down the life of JWism on overload immediately, build up the positives of daily life activities now. Your kids will respond.

Most JW youth are leaving the organization as it so over controlling, suppressive, suffocating, always waiting for something that never happens. Certainly, boring door-to-door and extremely repetative meetings cannot compete with the real life of so many opportunities now.

I did this uneasy 'passage' for years. My five children are so grateful as they all grew to have active, free lives, mind and heart.

So many best wishes to you and family.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome 'k'! You asked " How long can I "wait for Jehovah"? "

The answer is up to you how long you can wait. My answer to you is that if you keep waiting, you will wait your entire life.

Every single one of my JW family members has waited their entire lives. And he has never appeared. I hope you don't waste your life waiting.

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

• Emery
    Emery

Welcome konceptual99!

The intention of the members of this site is not to cause anyone to fall into spiritual turmoil. Witnesses who stumble upon factual information outside of what you regularly read from the Watchtower can place anyone into a crisis. I am also currently an active Jehovah’s Witness and have been for almost 20 years. I myself have been doing an objective and unbiased personal study this past year to validate my spiritual foundation as a witness. It has taken a lot of courage and at the same time an enormous amount of humility before researching the history and developments of the Watchtower Society.

We all have presuppositions (assumptions). Our presuppositions are organic and change according to data. Our beliefs are based on arguments, points, and the best available evidence. The assumptions I had about the organization came from the trust I had in the Faithful Slave and the arguments made inside the Watchtower publications. I still feel the organization offers many great things like; the fellowship network, if you travel and go to another country you can stay at a random witness house and feel a sense of comfort knowing you both share the same faith. The fellowship can be clean and enjoyable (if you avoid the Pharisaical friends). They do teach many things that are in context and harmonize with scripture. You can still find friends that have a sense a respect for spiritual accountability and a sincere love for Jehovah.

The biggest hurdle an active witness has to live with inside the organization is to be submissive to the authoritative structure of the Society. The freedom to utilize your own spiritual conscience and logic to conclude whether something being said from the platform indeed has sound scriptural basis doesn’t belong to you. There is no outlet for disagreement other than being counseled repeatedly for a stubborn heretical belief or be disfellowshipped for apostasy. Regardless of your bible trained conscience on a certain matter, it will always, ALWAYS be overridden by the faithful and discreet slave’s written word.

A great example of this is when new light is released (overlapping generations of 1914), everyone that suddenly hears this new light is expected to now preach and believe it as Jehovah’s revealed understanding. Not because you’ve researched, reasoned, or logically concluded it to be true but because 7 men from Brooklyn have decided upon the matter. I use to reason, well these same men showed me other bible truths I still agree with, as not believing in the Trinity, Hell fire, birthdays, holidays, etc. with ample evidence for support. Their track record seemed very good and it didn’t appear unreasonable to place my trust in the organization. You and I, along with 7 million other witnesses have easily done this time and time again.

It should go without saying that nothing on this earth is perfect; humans, governments, or organizations. However, when an organization claims to be the earthly agency, mouthpiece, and only true channel to God, the expectations and their grand claims need to be critically examined.

1 Thessalonians 5:21-“Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine.”

Here are the questions that had me on my way towards my independent bible trained thinking.

Has the Watchtower Society been entirely honest with us when detailing its history and evidence supporting their authority? What gives them the right to disfellowship, set dress codes, determine doctrine, demand submissiveness, and advance their own ideas as bible truth?

Tying Jehovah's name into their fallible uninspired bible interpretations is severely dangerous! Not only do they tie God’s name to themselves but when human error is advanced like; false prophecies, contradicting interpretations, or injustices that stem from organizational policy it places God's name in a bad light and people’s faith can be forever shaken…especially if you believe Holy Spirit guides and appoints these leaders.

I am not suggesting to anyone who reads this to leave the organization. If you believe this is Jah’s anointed organization then you would benefit in establishing the firm foundation for this belief. Give yourself the opportunity to validate or invalidate your doubts. Follow truth where ever it may lead you and always pray to God for assistance. There is nothing wrong with inspecting and researching the faith and works that your life will be governed by, that is called walking in integrity.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Cedars: I wrote that list off the top of my head. I wish I had truly understood those things when I first arrived here. I did not. Use them as you wish. I'm certain the list can be expanded and improved upon.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

k99-Welcome! You are not alonein your struggle. There are some fine people in the organization, who have probably been good, lifelong friends. It has been a complete lifestyle for you, and you have no idea how to live any other way. Many of us here have been in very similiar positions as yours. It is not easy...yet the peace of mind I get, knowing that I'm not constantly having to prove myself over and over and over and over again to Jehovah is very much a relief.

This year, I am going to celebrate my child's birthday. I cannot tell my hubby that, as he has become a diehard JW since I have faded. Instead, I shall celebrate what I am going to call 'the anniversary of the last day you are 4'. Basically the same thing as a birthday, yet he cannot say anything, as we have often been invited over for the American holiday of 'Thanksgiving', without it being called that, by an elder's family. Semantics. There are ways around things.

Best wishes with your newly found mental freedom.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Hi and welcome Konceptual, Iam in the UK, was in the Hayesbridge Circuit, or District?, and lived in the Peaks for a few years as well.

Great to see you dont want to throw the baby out with the bathwater as most here seem to have done, though isnt that the point of religions?, to turn men away from God?

If your happy enough, stay in!, wish I could but they would want me to lie to them before taking me back.

Just make sure to stay right with Jehovah, then it doesnt matter what religion you are in, its quite difficult to maintain that relationship without any peer pressure you know.

What I would advise is, read John chapter 6 with an open mind where Jesus himself states you wont get everlasting life if you dont eat his flesh and drink his blood, so make sure you do do it when you get home.

On the field service, just relate the things you do know are right about God and leave out the JW doctrines of men.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

May I add my welcome, from another U K member.

As you say. - "If the "truth" is really not the "truth" then what's the point "? I faded more than ten years ago. It was not easy, it was not quick. I felt like a hypcrite when I was still doing it but in the realisation that it was wrong. However, I had mastered the art over many years of repeating the stock phrases and going through the motions.

I have kept my marriage and the elders nowadays usually ignore me. We are in a different cong. and they see me as an unbelieving mate. The elders do not seem so hot on rooting out apostates as some members in the U S A have found.

Best wishes, keep posting and contributing ........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit