A happy life for a gay ex-JW

by Steve_C 22 Replies latest social relationships

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but here goes.

I've posted a few times before about different subjects. In some of those posts I’ve mentioned that I’m gay, and in others I’ve referred to my wife and kids. I thought I’d share a bit more information to any who were curious about this.

Although I've felt same-sex attraction since puberty, as a born-in JW I constantly fought against those feelings and pretty much hated that aspect of my life. I even went so far as to get married in the congregation, hoping that would ‘straighten me out.’ Before the marriage, I confided my feelings with an elder. His advice? Get married and trust in Jehovah (!)

I consider myself very, very fortunate, though. Thirteen years of marriage and three children later, I cheated on my wife, confessed and revealed my gay feelings, felt horrible about what I did to my family, and waited for the expected divorce and disfellowshipping.

Neither happened.

The judicial committee felt I was repentant (I honestly felt contrite at the time) and didn’t disfellowship me. Nonetheless, I became completely inactive after the judicial meeting and never went to another meeting or any other JW function. Freedom!

When I came out to my wife after cheating on her, she confessed to me that she was gay also. It turns out that both of us, as born-in JWs, had gotten married for the same reason. She had also confided in an elder before the wedding, and had received the same advice as me! Of course, looking back on our relationship, we should have seen the many signs, but we had JW blinders on and were both trying our darndest to be 'right in Jehovah's eyes.'

So, what could have turned out to be a very hurtful experience ended up well for us. We continued living together for a few years as 'roommates' to raise our kids together, because as parents our children are the most important concern in our lives. The best part is, we both left the cult and got our kids out while they were still young.

My ex-wife and I are still good friends, and our kids have turned out just great.

Interestingly enough, my oldest daughter got married this year, to a great guy whose mom is a lesbian. As you can imagine, the reception was a bit unconventional; nonetheless, it was an atmosphere filled with lots of love and fun.

As a proud father (and now grandfather!) I just had to share a photo of my daughter and I dancing at her reception.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

What a lovely story! I'm so glad things worked out for your family. It really was a good idea for you and your wife to "marry in the truth", LOL!

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

BRAVO! That's wonderful!!! And what a great picture. :)

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thank you so much for sharing this truly wonderful story! I'm glad that you and your family were able to get out alive, whole, and still loving each other. Your story will help many others, Witnesses or not, who are LGBT. The WTS is no place for them by any stretch of the imagination and they will do well by putting an ever-widening distance between them and it. I wish you every success and happiness in your life journey!

Quendi

• DawnBrightmoon
    DawnBrightmoon

That's honestly one of the best stories I have read all day, an amazing one at that! I'm glad that things turned out the way they did for you. :)

• darthweef
    darthweef

That's so awesome. While my ex-wife is not gay, coming out to her was one of the best experiences ever. She was so supportive and I think she felt a massive sense of relief due to the 18 years of "awkward" love making that she blamed herself for. We were recently discussing our mutual dating adventures and she was having a "I should be looking for a JW brother" moment .. ( she's inactive but hasn't really exited the way I have ) I just laughed and told her to avoid the JW brothers, since she'd likely just bag another repressed homosexual .. I honestly think there are a lot more of trapped in the organization then anyone wants to admit.

Since leaving the organization and coming out publically I have learned a lot about what life is actually supposed to be like .. it's amazing how blind you are in a place that teaches you that only there can you really see ... Ironic.

I am so happy for you that your situation worked well for you. Your kids dodged a major bullet being raised by a loving couple that accepts themselves for who they are and kept them from the blinding ignorance of a thought controlling organization -- kudos!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

What a wonderful story and an even more wonderful photo of your daughter and you!!

It's amazing how life turns out sometimes, eh?

• InquiryMan
  • irondork
    irondork

That's a great story. I needed to hear that story.

When I was going through my reinstatement hearings I mentioned my female roommate. The elders told me that living with a woman you are not married to would not work.

"But I'm gay."

The elders explained that my living situation could stumble others in the congregation.

"But I'm gay!"

The elders said we would have to get married or one of us would have to move out.

"BUT I'M GAY!" (Is this microphone on?)

Anyway, I talked to my best friend/roommate about it and we decided to get married down at one of those "get married" clinics. I was reinstated, she got baptised, I discovered TTATT, I left the cult, she discovered TTATT, she left the cult.

We're still roommates and we're still best friends but we're also still married which means she nor I are leagally free to find a REAL husband. I am basically content with our living arrangement, but I am really concerned for her. I don't know how to broach the subject. She made an enormous sacrifice for me by marrying a homo just to keep me company for the rest of my life in a religion that would have prevented me from having any companionship. I will never disrespect that.

What to do, what to do?

Steve, that's a lovely picture. You and your best friend did good. I'm glad you guys are happy.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Love it! So nice! :):):)

Im glad that stuff like this happens and people can move on after being JWs and not feel hurt by it all.

:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit