Australia - Priests could be ordered to report confessions of sex abuse to police

by PrincessPeachz 15 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• PrincessPeachz
    PrincessPeachz

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/priests-could-be-ordered-to-report-confessions-of-sex-abuse-to-police/story-fndo1wyv-1226428524648

This was on ABC news this morning, one question asked: "Should officials in religious and other organisations be held criminally responsible for the actions of offenders of child abuse in their employ or for whom they have responsibility?".

It seems to be directed primarily at Catholics, but could easily have ramifications for other religions as well. The report is due to be presented in State Parliament in April next year.

Apologies if there's another thread on this already, I don't watch the news very often :)

• cantleave
    cantleave

I like the Australian common sense!

• Glander
    Glander

It's about time! The churches have proven to be inneffective in stopping serious abuse. The confidentiality of their confessions or committee matters in the case of JWs are just bullshit compared to the urgency of stopping child sex predators with the law of the land, not some JW plasterer Elder telling a molester to stop it, be good and pray to Jah. Then let him move away and not warn the next congrgation of his danger.

Those who fail to report had better think twice about the depth of their piety. They deserve whatever they get.

• mind blown
  • PrincessPeachz
    PrincessPeachz

thank you mind blown, I wasn't sure how to get the hyperlink

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

cantleave

I like the Australian common sense!

LOL, on this count it is common sense

but, believe me, there is alot here in australia, that is not common sense

• smiddy
    smiddy

The herald Sun newspaper in Victoria also covered this article.You can also have a say on their voteline:Q.Should Preists report to police crimes revealedin the confessional ? Yes:1900956434

No:1900956435 ......You can also cast your vote at heraldsun.com.au or facebook.com/heraldsun.......It does also apply to other religous organizations

The state police reporter is Ashley Gardener and his e-mail is [email protected]

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

Looking at the poll now @ 4:32 pm , 51% of pollsters say no , preists should not divulge such information whereas 49% of pollsters do want clergy to divulge crimes confessed to them.

It`s your chance to have a say

smiddy

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Thanks for the Info

I just sent the editors my: Jehovah's Witnesses pedophile enabling two witnesses policy info pac with links to the NYT articles and JWfacts,Silent Lambs.

I have the contact addy to both reporters on above story and the investigative team at the Herald.

Hello Watchtower

• smiddy
    smiddy

BTTT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit