Fallacies

by turtleturtle 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My favorite example of Appeal to Authority in Watchtower literature:

*** kp p. 22 “They Took No Note” ***

Was There Really a Global Flood?
    Many critics say No. But the Bible says Yes.
    Jesus Christ himself spoke of it, and he was alive when it occurred, viewing it from the heavens.

Well that proves it then. A Global Flood really DID happen.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Which is my exact reason for rejecting Jesus...

Flood = debunked myth.

Jesus believed in flood = Jesus just another deluded human believing human myths and legends.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Great post

• Farkel
    Farkel

King Solomon,

I knew King Solomon and you are no King Solomon.

You said, ridiculously:

:" According to Newton, every object in a state of motion tends to stay in that state of motion"

:"Therefore, every object in a state of motion tends to stay in that state of motion".

"The Watchtower Society said that Armageddon would happen in 1925."

"Therefore, Armageddon happened in 1925."

Appeal to authority has ALWAYS been a logical fallacy when that is the ONLY argument that is offered.

: You were taught classical or traditional (Aristotlean) logic, which has been replaced by a more pragmatic, real-world approach used in modern, abstract (symbolic) logic.

Traditional Coca Cola was replaced by a more pragmatic, real-world approach to colas called something like "New Coke". It bombed and died a violent death. Traditional Coca Cola was re-branded "Classic" coke. There is a reason for that. "Classic coke" worked. Classic Aristotolean logic works and it has always worked. Whomever is teaching you that crap doesn't have a clue about genuine, yes, "classical" logic. It transcends idiots who think they have found a better way (see above).

You wrote:

: That's all well and good, but what if the one of the premises ISN'T true, but merely appears to be true to a casual observer?

Well, of course, that often happens, perhaps more than not. However that has nothing to do with logic. A premise (as I said) MUST be assumed to be true in any argument to determine whether it is logical or not. In case you didn't bother to read what I wrote (you didn't) I said all premises in a syllogism AND the conclusion can be true and the argument is therefore logical, but it might not be a SOUND argument. I even gave an example. At least look at what I wrote before you start blathering

Aristotle got it right. Whoever is filling your mind with nonsense is doing you a disservice.

The rest of your post is gibberish and unworthy of comment.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit