The reason I just can't believe in god

by jambon1 54 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Quite a few years out the organisation for me now. For the first time in ages though, I actually re-evaluated my position on god/WT.

I had attended a few funerals in the spring and had also reignited some friendships with people from the hall. But actually, I just keep going round in circles in my mind. I cannot back an organisation with such a flawed past and one that endorses such policies as shunning & blood. There are many more issues in addition to those.

So, it got me thinking about my beliefs about god, aside from the WTS.

On the one hand, life being created and formed by an inteligent being sort of makes sense to me. On the other hand, natural disasters and mosquitos tell me that this is a flawed ideal. I conclude that some questions will simply remain unanswered and are too big to receive a definative answer either way.

But my biggest issue, I have realised, is the presence of human suffering & evil in the world.

I recall (when I was an active JW, and boy was I active), I had an interest in the website of USHMM. www.ushmm.org The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.

I always had and interest in the activities and movements of the witnesses, naturally. But having spent many hours researching the holocaust and all that occured, I was left absolutely distraught at what had happened. The photographs of hundreds of jews being rounded up and shot in fields which had been dug up for graves just haunted me.

There is one photo (perhaps you have seen it). A family consisting of two younger men, a grandad, a young boy and an infant have been asked to dig their own grave. The two younger men are standing at the edge of the pit as the grandad, young boy and infant are walking to the same spot. The SS are standing poised to shoot.

It is a horrific image. Can you imagine their suffering? The terror of being hunted & found. The fear while being forced at gunpoint to dig your own grave. The humiliation of being asked to strip naked. And then the horror of watching your family being systematically murdered.

It really is just awful. The extent of evil exsisting in this one single scenario is harrowing. It happened all over the place, over many years. What's worse is that it has been repeated in other countries also.

Now, for me, no-one is so big, so powerful and so important that these things need to occur to 'prove a point' or as the witnesses put it 'settle the issue of universal sovereignty'. There is just nothing at all that justifies the need for these things to take place. What's more, even if this were the truth of the matter, I can't love or repect a god who stands by and watches these things happen for 'the greater good'. It just doesn't add up.

So, my conclusion is that I must be an atheist. I have felt like this before and having re-examined the issue I still feel the same.

Human suffering completely removes the idea of the existance of a loving and caring god.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I hear you.

Although I wouldn't call myself an atheist, I do wonder about the suffering millions of African people go through every day due to war and famine. The shooting story you described surely happens all the time during war.

It disturbs me that Christians turn a blind eye to such suffering and ignore any suggestion that God must be a cruel god to allow that to go on.

• jambon1
    jambon1

I realise that there are millions of different forms of suffering.

It's just that the holocaust research really turned my head as a younger person.

There is no justification for the extent of suffering in the world. None.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Good luck with being an atheist.

Life is a journey, everyone dies, belief in God, the God of the bible gives, assures the hope of an

afterlife.

My advice is to think about the good things in life not the bad and rejoice to God for the good.

In my opinion, God made the atheist as well as the believer.

Life is hills and valleys ups and downs, enjoy the ride.

If you want to believe in God, read the bible.

If you dont want to believe in God commune with those who dont believe in God.

Birds of a feather flock together.

Christians are assured of eternal life.

Atheist are assured of eternal nothingness.

The choice is yours.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Christians aren't the only ones "assured" of an afterlife/eternal life.

Typical arrogant Christian thinking.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i just cannot begin to understand why any modern day half way intelligent person could believe in an invisible giant in the sky. its laughable. it all belongs in the past---when gods were invented to explain what they didnt understand at that time.

Then invent a religion--as a form of crowd-control: & the watchtower society is merely one of many--and a small one at that.

of course--this is only my opinion--no doubt others will rise to the bait.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Christians aren't the only ones "assured" of an afterlife/eternal life.

Typical arrogant Christian thinking.

I didnt say they were the only ones, I said they were assured of an afterlife.

i just cannot begin to understand why any modern day half way intelligent person could believe in an invisible giant in the sky. its laughable. it all belongs in the past---when gods were invented to explain what they didnt understand at that time.

I dont believe in an invisable Giant in the sky. I believe in a higher power in another dimension. One that science does not understand

or acknowledge at this time.

• Terry
    Terry

I started thinking one day about what it IS exactly that God and Jesus do all day everyday.

Do they sit around spinning planets and making rainbows shine?

Do they have conversations on the back porch of some cloud city?

Do they read? Listen to music? Play practical jokes?

Then, it hit me, the idea of God is really a device like a character in a play that we always HEAR about and never SEE.

Others spend time arguing about this character and telling stories about this and that thing they may have done.

There is no INNER LIFE to God or Jesus or angels.

They are a cardboard backdrop.

Why did I spend so many years TALKING TO THEM?

I was taught to do so. That's why.

But, I also talked to my Teddy Bear.

• cofty
    cofty

Human suffering completely removes the idea of the existance of a loving and caring god. - jambon1

This was the deal breaker for me as well. There is no adequate answer to the question of evil.

If you want to believe in God, read the bible. - james brown

Reading the bible is the last thing you should do if you wnat to maintain belief in a benevolent deity.

Christians are assured of eternal life. - james brown

No that's just a delusion they keep telling each other.

• bigmac
    bigmac

"I believe in a higher power in another dimension. One that science does not understand

or acknowledge at this time." yeah yeah--is that where superman lives?

but--whatever floats your boat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit