Question for Atheists

by RWC 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Perry
    Perry

Ok, you got me....you made me laugh. You make some fair points especially about the finger waving born againers.

Certainly, I have never met a more sincere surporter of Humanism than you. For that, I gained respect for your cause. Secretly, I have discusions about some of the things I like about Humanism. It is the one-sidedness I object to in our educational system that I'm steamed about. Most of the other stuff/goals, you wont here me complaining about. It's the unfairness in representation I object to.

As far as my belief in Christianity, I have proved to myself that an external model is very useful to healthful living. I don't need to denegrate another belief system to prove the value of another.

In the middle ages, Christianity did unspeakable things in the area of mind control and information control. It's dissenters got things changed a great deal. I see the same thing happening with Humanism.

As I said, you seem very sincerre. So as you go to your meetings perhaps you can be a voice of reason for some of the quotes that you supplied me with. I do the same for my belief system. I'm ready to pounce on anyone who unfairly tries to market their ideas at the altar of censorship or deception.

Let me just end with a question to determine your idea of fairness.

Would you support a bill that would require schools to teach the various classifications of a First Cause and its implications just as schools now teach the Infinite digression of cause and effect events postulate and its implications?

UADNA-TX
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I have no idea what is meant by "various clasifications of a first cause".

Cause and effect reasoning sounds like a good thing though.
    I do know
    a great deal of time and money has been spent by creationists to convince authorities that "creation science" is real science and should be given equal time in the classroom.Thankfully most often clear thinking has prevailed.It is not the place of sciences teachers to promote or even discuss any metaphysical theories.That is the role of the churches.This has been established in the highest courts.I imagine this "first cause" issue you are speaking about is similar.It is good to remember the present scientific hypotheses (while unproven)do utilize known physics and natural causation.Therefore I can forsee some teaches presenting these various ideas in the science classroom.Of course no yet unvarifiable explanation would be presented as the conclusion of the matter.
    Just as the courts' rulings prevent supernatural explanations in the topic of speciation,I feel no similar supernatual explanation of a first cause can be in the science classroom.It is not a question of which is correct,it is a question of what can be rightly defined as science,and therefore taught as such. God is not a scientific hypothesis,It is a metaphysical one.Someone Isolated from the idea and trained to learn only with the scientific method would not arrive at the conclusion of a divine creator on his own.(We today have of course inherited a long tradition of belief that predates the scientific method.) For better or worse this should be the criteria of what is taught in science class. No doubt every student will hear about God in other forums.Perhaps in some ethics class the topic may come up and stir a lively debate wihout any charge of proselytizing. Does this answer your question?

• cellomould
    cellomould

Hey everyone, check out my Atheist Myths thread:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=24022&site=3

No one has taken much of a bite into this one yet. Or feel free to comment here.

cellomould

"In other words, your God is the warden of a prison where the only prisoner is your God." Jose Saramago, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

• Perry
    Perry

So are you suggesting that there is a scientific basic for indicating that our origins spontaneously generated? Or, perhaps you are suggesting that an infinite digression of cause and effect events explains our origins?

If so, and you must for there are NO other options, then you are far outside the realm of science since those postulates cannot be duplicated or scientifically demonstrated. Indeed they contridict everything we know about physics and the known universe. So, those postulates are supernatural since they are foreign to our experience in the natural world.

So, then how is it inferior if other thoughts suggest a "First Cause" that caused the cosmos to be? Are not both outside the realm of science? Why can one supernatural/religion be promoted to the exclusion of others?

That is just plain NOT FAIR.

UADNA-TX

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

You have not read my response.And I must truly question the idea that high schools are delving into such topics to any depth.
    A primary problem is that you don't appear to understand the science involved.You can not be faulted for the latter, as few people do understand new physics.It does seem to break with logic.Thats why Einstein never embraced Quantum mechanics. This resulted in his lack of meaningful contribution in his later years.I don't pretend to understand it,yet I don't dismiss it either.
    More importantly,your thoughts mirror those of Philip E. Johnson,a prominant creationist writer.He too accused today's scientists of metaphysical naturalism.He either intentionally or ignorantly interchanges the Ontological naturalism of Sinoza with the Methodological naturalism of modern science.I feel that you must yourself read a new book to see the distinction:"Tower of Babel"by Robert Pennock.Especially chapters 4-8.I suspect your fear of meaninglessness is driving you to conclusions that cannot be defended and impels you to villify honest and hard working scientists.

• Perry
    Perry

peacefulpete, I have read your responses and I asked you to clarify with a couple of questions. Instead of making yourself clear you tell me that I don't understand new science. Then, you tell me that you don't understand it either. But, you maintain that your untestable, unverifiable position is indeed science....just not the kind of science that we can understand.

Isn't it true that your position is basd entirelty on theory that is, at present time outside the realm of factual data in a laboratory? We all learned what the scientific method was in the 6th grade. Let's not pervert science to suit a belief system. That would be very ...uh, unhumanistic of us. Why do Humanists have such a hard time in admitting that they have no idea how the cosmos got here? Ahh, I get it. If they did that, they would be on equal footing with other supernatural religions right?

Again, I believe it grossly unfair to teach in schools one theory to the exclusion of others. Just because some people want it very much to be fact will never make it so. Unless you can present data to the contrary, you have only succeeded in demonstrating that the core of your religion (Secular Humanism)is pseudo-science. From a scientific standpoint, you might as well base it on unicorns or elves.

UADNA-TX

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Perry, what can I say?
    It is ironic that you condemn science of promoting fairy tales when that is exactly their perception of you. So if I understand you right you would like to see neither position discussed in school.Or just your position?Ask yourself honestly are you concerned about the integrity of science or the souls of the students.The first could be viewed as noble,the second as an attempt to proselytize in public schools.If you would honestly like to see no theoretical science in the schools,why instead of mearly expressing this have you instead sought to (in all "fairness")bring into the classroom another unproven theory?Yes you are trying to bring religion into school.Be honest.
    Was I right about Johnson? Has his writing influenced your thinking? His favorite phrase also is "it's not fair".

My thinking has been conveyed.I am not an Atheist I am a Nondeist.This means I do not assert there can be no God, rather that there is no objective evidence that there is one.I'm OK with not knowing everything.The pressure to have all the answers rushes many to make a leap of faith,(Atheist and Theist)rather than calmly reserving judgement.While science uses it's best understanding to offer plausable explanations, sometimes the only answer is patience.It would be wrong to replace an admission that a question is at present beyond our complete understanding with an assertion that the answer MUST then be supernatural.The first position is humble and condusive to reaserch and progress.The second is religious,arrogant and antithetic to the growth of knowledge.

• cellomould
    cellomould

Hey nice comments Pete

cellomould

"In other words, your God is the warden of a prison where the only prisoner is your God." Jose Saramago, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

• Perry
    Perry

Pete,

After a review of our discussion, I believe us to not really be all that far apart. You seem rational, sensitive and practical. We would definitely get along most anywhere. However, there is one thing about your views that are illogical. If you had agreed on the fairness issue of equal representation in schools, the discussion would be over.

I'm assuming that the reason you failed to answer my question directly is that you still have a hard time with the supernatural foundation of your belief/ethic system.

You reason that just because science can't explain our origins at the present time, that is no reason to assume that it won't be able to at some point in the future.

Now, I have talked to whacked out New-Agers that believe unicorns exist and that it is just a matter of time where their existence will be proven.

Likewise, others claim that the Second Advent will also provide proof of God's existence. And, it's just a matter of time.

The logic of all three are identical.

If you had some demonstratable proof of a something from nothing universe, then your censorship of theists' "First Cause" might have some merit. But, the hard cold facts are that you don't.

Education should be free of political and ideological agenda. Why are the atheists so afraid if schools taught that some ideologies are based on the precept that the cosmos is self-existing? Why not teach it and mention the effects of those ideologies on our societies in the past such as Communism, Marxism, and Eubonics? Surely, you wouldn’t want to re-write history would you?

Did Lenin really murder 80 million people in the name of atheism?

Likewise, a mention of the possibility of a “First Cause” with its subsequent ideologies could be mentioned as well along with its sometimes murderous effects from violating the law of love.

Then, students can see the whole picture…..the good, bad , and the ugly. No, that is intolerable to the Humanist evangelist. I look forward to the day when such biased censorship will not plague our educational institutions.

It is ironic that you condemn science of promoting fairy tales when that is exactly their perception of you.
    First of all, no scientist of integrity could condemn me. I have promoted nothing unscientific. I have merely pointed out its limits. I'm all for science....I love it. I just don't worship it.

Furthermore, knowledge will always be obtained inside of an overall template. The templates are outside our verifiable sphere. So, in all fairness, the major templates should be taught so that students could choose the one that they feel is right for them. To do otherwise smacks of totalitarianism and censorship based on ideology, politics, and political correctness.

Ask yourself honestly are you concerned about the integrity of science or the souls of the students.The first could be viewed as noble,the second as an attempt to proselytize in public schools.
    I'll ask you a similar question. Are you really concerned about our schools teaching critical thinking or do you really want to live in a world where competing views are simply censored?

The first would be in line with the study of knowledge. The second could only happen when following an ideological agenda.

If you would honestly like to see no theoretical science in the schools,why instead of mearly expressing this have you instead sought to (in all "fairness")bring into the classroom another unproven theory?Yes you are trying to bring religion into school.
    I think that you are being unfair in you characterization of my view. Theory is a valuable tool, and occupies a specific place in the students arsenal of learning tools. Censorship is the tool of an evangelist, not a student nor a scientist.

Be honest.
    Was I right about Johnson? Has his writing influenced your thinking? His favorite phrase also is "it's not fair".
    Hey, that's not fair to say I stole the term , "not fair". :-) Seriously, I have never heard of the man. I probably used the term more though after tuning into Bill O'reilly on Fox News if I'm really honest about it.

I am not an Atheist I am a Nondeist.This means I do not assert there can be no God, rather that there is no objective evidence that there is one.
    Pete, you've been awfully honest with me and you've characterized your views and explained your reasons for adopting them. I appreciate that. I will do the same in return.

Where it seems you have suspended judgement, I have moved on to a hypothesis in which to measure my existence. I feel that I can just as logically choose a consious infinity over an unconscious infinity since neither one is demonstratable. For me, it is far more useful as a tool for human development and quality of life to have an exterior model as opposed to a subjective context to develop and arrange meaning through my experiences in life.

However, experiential meaning alone cannot capture the true genius of the human spirit and its magical-like ability to create where nothing should be creatable. Perhaps man has created God. If so, man has wisely seen fit to place the sacred symbolic objects of life outside of himself for safekeeping.

Our symbolic vehicles for creating meaning like family, love, honesty, altruism, (the man on 9/11 who said, "let's roll")selfless bonding in friendship, are all free from distortion and manipulation if the construct for its source is outside of us and lives within God...a conscious infinity.

A big part of my personal victory over the
    WBTS was to not let them destroy or taint my free will. It would have been easy to become cynical and distrustful of any unknown and run toward exetentialism as a hideout from the ideology evangelists and manipulators.

After several years of simply withholding judgement, I realized any thought construct will be used as marketing for larger world views. At some point it was time to make a decision and come to some conclusion and worldview for myself. I chose Christianity. Not in a typical religious sense, but more from a Skinnerian model.

I often question if I've done this out of rebellion to the shackles of the Tower. I honestly don't believe that I have, but rather truly believe the teachings of Christ are ideas that, while never achievable in a perfect sense, work well with our goal seeking mental organizational nature to satisfy our need to create, transform, and experience meaningful psychological anchors.

I do not trust these processes in the hands of any human or group of humans and feel they are best preserved in the nature of God regardless if real or imagined.

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

Perry,
    At the risk of showing my ignorance, can you explain as to what event/s you were referring to in your statement, "Millions of people have been ruthlessly slaughtered defending ideas based on atheism...that is a fact of history...like it or not."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit