Are Flamers & Atheists More Mature Than JW's?

by Englishman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Studies indicate that there does tend to be some sense of order in this spiral of development, just perhaps not as linear as one might think.

And good to hear from you as well. I drop in here from time to time, but it's easy to lose track of people as this board has grown so large. I'm really too busy with other projects to spend much time here, but I do try to stop by and see what's happening from time to time. And add my 2 cents, of course.

I wish you well.
    S4

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

People are forced through society, culture and family to try to fit into the mold of Stage II. However, through genetic make-up/nature, exposure, experience many in stage II actually have stage I, III, or IV mindsets. It is possible for a person to have a mindset that is a combination of stages (generally not the case).

While remaining within stage II, a person, out of fear (fear of "God," family, group, etc.) will not allow (or cannot allow) themselves or others to see their true mindset. If we use JWs as our stage II model, we can peer in and locate various aspects of the other stages within certain individuals.

Stage I JW-This person is a JW for his own selfish reasons. Maybe to keep a mate, shut his/her parents up...basically 'serving time' until he/she can be themselves. They never actually conform to JWism, but live a "double life" They do their own thing, may not get baptized, give talks, answer or go in services. They don't conform and are considered weak spiritually and 'worldly.' These people generally go off to do their own thing when they no longer have to remain a JW.

Stage III JW-This person by birth or circumstance finds him/herself within the confines of JWism. A natural skeptic, he/she is never truly convinced. Because of their analytical nature and intelligence, they generally move up the JW hierarchy with ease. They are research hounds. They may present different ways of looking at a belief to others making sure they never go beyond the groups consensus while they are within stage II. If a person with a stage III mindset feeds his/her hunger for alternative ways to view things...he/she will not remain a JW. But, gradually moves on in an effort to satisfy his/her insatiable appetite for knowledge, reason and information.

Stage IV JW-This is usually the "loving elder" that everyone wants to have visit when they do something wrong. He is kind, understanding, forgiving, open and nonjudgmental. Although while remaining in stage II he still has to submit to the rules of the Organization...he is moved by his heart, empathy, and love of humanity. He is the least likely to disfellowship someone for breaking a stage II rule. A person with stage IV mindset is considered to be an "open minded" JW. He/she does not truly believe that JWs are the only one who will be saved during Armageddon. But, that God's love will encompass all groups of humanity and believes "God reads our hearts...He alone is the Judge" If this elder continues to feed his natural stage IV mindset...he will slowly become isolated from the other elders. He no doubt will leave JWism because of a serious injustice committed on the part of the other elders or the Society in general towards an innocent person or group.

The predominate qualities that stand out for me in each stage as outlined are:

I-selfishness
    II-fear
    II-cynicism
    III-love

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

(since i couldn't edit my post...forgive my Roman numeral error lol)

• Imbue
    Imbue

Syn said:

Stage V - The Drinker: People in this stage exhibit a communal, mystical spirituality, having been affected by looking through the bottom of a beer glass too much. They see the world through a golden-brown haze of alcohol, and are usually found preaching to people who don't want to listen to their message in pubs and bars across the country. If you look into their eyes, you will see a certain redness, the result of their extremely rigorous spiritual training and being part of the drinking community for too long. This stage is better than the lower stages because when they argue, they are usually too pissed to argue for more than 5 minutes wihtout falling off their barstool.

Maybe, but I don't think this stage is necessarily part of our common human development. Everyone doesn't go through this stage just drinkers.

I did this stage simultaneously with my atheist stage. So stages can over lap too!

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• JT
    JT

excellent post englishman.great points to look at

but i agree with gravedigger on this one that spiritual stuff has no place for me- for you and others it maybe what you all need to get thru the day

i don't-

i can't explain alot of things in life, why are we here, where are we going, etc

and since i can't explain them i personaly perfer not to make up something just to say I HAVE AN ANSWER --and that is what i see when it comes to religion and that whole "Spiritual" THANG

JUST MY 2

• ros
    ros

Hello, Englishman:
    Thanks for your very interesting post. I identify quite well with something along the line of stage IV. I think I went through stage III as far as religion is concerned, but without the atheism. And stage III was somewhat in parallel with stage IV, with the last surviving and growing beyond.

I don't think real spirituality can come without first being a skeptic. Otherwise, it is blind faith in dogma. At some point, one must start from ground zero: Is there a god? Why do I believe in God? What is good, what is bad? Why? ...
    Unfortunately, religion too often comes along (if you weren't born into it) and interferes with this growth, imo. Not easy to get back on track.

Ros
    "A religion that teaches lies cannot be true"--The Watchtower, 12/1/91 pg. 7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit