Self-Actualization

by frankiespeakin 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

While I have come across this term before I never looked up what it meant. So while reading about what "Peak Expreiences" are I came across the term again and decide to give Wiki a try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-actualization

Self-actualization is a term that has been used in various psychology theories, often in slightly different ways. The term was originally introduced by the organismic theorist Kurt Goldstein for the motive to realize one's full potential. In his view, it is the organism's master motive, the only real motive: "the tendency to actualize itself as fully as possible is the basic drive...the drive of self-actualization." [1] Carl Rogers similarly wrote of "the curative force in psychotherapy - man's tendency to actualize himself, to become his potentialities ...to express and activate all the capacities of the organism." [2] However, the concept was brought most fully to prominence in Abraham Maslow 's hierarchy of needs theory as the final level of psychological development that can be achieved when all basic and mental needs are fulfilled and the "actualization" of the full personal potential takes place...........

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

This should also be included:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy_of_needs

An interpretation of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, represented as a pyramid with the more basic needs at the bottom. [1]

M

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

We study Maslow's hierarchy of needs theory a lot in nursing and also in several core classes. I guess that's one of the reasons that the borg is so against a college education. Another interesting theory is Erik Erikson's Developmetal Stages that describe development from birth to very old age and the different things that need to be accomplished in each stage. When you look at life in the manner that these theorists describe, your view changes. This "self-actualization" is what the WTS is against. I also feel the borg squashes the normal developmental stages described by Erikson... The WTS wants to keep it's members from attaining their potential and wants to keep them down at the botttom of the pyramid. I hope I did not get off topic. It's just that these are two of my favorite theorists and I have written several papers on them and their theories.

The self-actualization of an individual is completely against the borg's teachings. The post about the talk, "Safe guarding your heart," given at the recent DC shows how determined the borg is to keep jws from gaining self esteem, much less any "self-actualization."

This is a good topic for discussion imo. Glad you brought it up.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Gosh, you don't really even get past 'Safety' let alone achieve 'Self-Actualization' on Maslow's pyramid when you're in Watchtower World

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Gosh, you don't really even get past 'Safety' let alone achieve 'Self-Actualization' on Maslow's pyramid when you're in Watchtower World

BOC, didn't you post all the infor on the "Safeguard your Heart" talk given at the DC. I thought it was a very good analysis of the talk.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

BOC, interesting analysis! I completely agree.

The Love/Belonging level is controlled and mandated by JW policies. They tell you who can and can't be your friends. Limit association with non-JW family and completely shun and DF'd and/or DA'd family members unquestioningly.

Indeed, Belonging as a JW is completely contingent on accepting every WT doctrine, practice and policy no matter how unscriptural and ridiculous.

What passes of "love" in JW-land is really very conditional. As I like to say, "If it's conditional, it's not love!"

Recently they turned their attention again to what is and isn't approved sexual practices for married JWs.

In fact, JW polices, rules and regulations in limit faithful JWs on the Safety level. As you well know, JWs are not free to take many kinds of employment and are highly discouraged from obtaining higher education which also limits employment and earning potential which in turn affects resources, property, family and possibly health.

They're complete control freaks that ultimately are a barrier to self-actualization and happiness!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Thank's for the insightful comments. I think this also run kind of parallel to Jung's Indiviuation theory.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Maslow felt that less than 1% reach the self-actualization stage, and probably less the .001% or close to none of the beleivings JW ever reach it,,I'm sure we can say none of the GB(stuck somewhere on the bottom of the S-A pyramid) ever reach it due to the self deception of illusion they have of being the spokes person for the Almighty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-actualization

Maslow's Characteristics of Self-Actualizers

A self-actualizer is a person who is living creatively and fully using his or her potentials. In his studies, Maslow found that self-actualizers share similarities. Whether famous or unknown, educated or not, rich or poor, self-actualizers tend to fit the following profile. [12]

• Efficient perceptions of reality. Self-actualizers are able to judge situations correctly and honestly. They are very sensitive to the fake and dishonest.
    • Comfortable acceptance of self, others, nature. Self-actualizers accept their own human nature with all its flaws. The shortcomings of others and the contradictions of the human condition are accepted with humor and tolerance.
    • Spontaneity. Maslow's subjects extended their creativity into everyday activities. Actualizers tend to be unusually alive, engaged, and spontaneous.
    • Task centering. Most of Maslow's subjects had a mission to fulfill in life or some task or problem outside of themselves to pursue. Humanitarians such as Albert Schweitzer and Mother Teresa represent this quality.
    • Autonomy. Self-actualizers are free from reliance on external authorities or other people. They tend to be resourceful and independent.
    • Continued freshness of appreciation. The self-actualizer seems to constantly renew appreciation of life's basic goods. A sunset or a flower will be experienced as intensely time after time as it was at first. There is an "innocence of vision", like that of an artist or child.
    • Fellowship with humanity. Maslow's subjects felt a deep identification with others and the human situation in general.
    • Profound interpersonal relationships. The interpersonal relationships of self-actualizers are marked by deep loving bonds.
    • Comfort with solitude. Despite their satisfying relationships with others, self-actualizing persons value solitude and are comfortable being alone. [13]
    • Non-hostile sense of humor. This refers to the wonderful capacity to laugh at oneself. It also describes the kind of humor a man like Abraham Lincoln had. Lincoln probably never made a joke that hurt anybody. His wry comments were gentle proddings of human shortcomings.
    • Peak experiences. All of Maslow's subjects reported the frequent occurrence of peak experiences (temporary moments of self-actualization). These occasions were marked by feelings of ecstasy, harmony, and deep meaning. Self-actualizers reported feeling at one with the universe, stronger and calmer than ever before, filled with light, beautiful and good, and so forth.

In summary, self-actualizers feel safe, not anxious, accepted, loved, loving, and alive. Additionally, Schott discussed in connection with transpersonal business studies.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

The wts actually works against it's members obtaing or reaching any, but maybe the first level of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. As mentioned by 00DAD, they even interfere with the most basic physiological need of sex, by placing rules on it that it scars it's members. The very word "self," such as in "self-esteem" or "self-actualization" is anathema to them, unless, of course, it applies to them as "God's channel of communication" meeting their needs. It's no wonder jws are so stunted in their growth. I can not recall any time that, as a JW, we were ever encourged to think of our "self" and any needs we might have that did not promote the organizations needs first.

• Farkel
    Farkel

frankie,

I spent bundles of money on self-actualization courses in the early 1970's. Yeah, I remember that pyramid that's posted on this thread. It adds mystique and maybe some sort of credibility to the notion of self-actualization.

I feel safe in crystalizing it down to the nuts and bolts: get off your ass, "positive motivation" is a crock of shit, stop trying to figure out stuff and DO something. On your own.

Of course, no one could make any money on books and seminars on just that. That's why they added all the other bullshit.

Do I think self-actualization is a good thing? Absolutely. It just doesn't need all that surrounding noise to make it seem more credible.

One has to develop the knack to filter out the foo-foo stuff from the gist of the matter.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit