Trinity Brochure

by flamegrilled 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
  • irondork
    irondork

Is there a thread that dissects this brochure?

As with everything else I read from the faithful and wise slave, I sunk my teeth into that brochure and enjoyed it's intelligent presentation of the facts. Now you say it was full of holes, misquotes and shoddy, low-rent journalism?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Maybe the GB is in touch with reality enough to realise that discussing doctrine with people who have actual little interset in it is a waste of time, they join a religion for the nice fuzzy feeling it gives them.

Discussing the Trinity with someone who knows the doctrine for what it is, and is aware of its evolution, by a JW ,even one just leaving a brochure and then calling back, is also counter-productive, the ill educated JW is likely to have his faith rattled, and maybe come to the realisation that the simplistic view he/she has been fed just does not cut the mustard.

That may be crediting the GB/writing dept with too much awareness of the real world, it could be they are just too damned lazy to bother.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You can still get this brochure. In what sense is it deceased?

• mindseye
    mindseye

Yeah, is it deceased or are they just not pushing it any more?

Besides the mistakes, I imagine Trinitarians seeing JWs stance on the subject as hypocritical. The argument I was taught growing up was that the Trinity was not Bible based; that it was going beyond what the Bible actually said. Yet the Witnesses form all kinds of concepts by going beyond what the Bible actually says (i.e. JW definition of the "faithful and discreet slave", the "144,000" being the "heavenly church", etc.).

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

You might be able to get it if your congregation still has a supply on hand (it was never a fast mover anyway), but I am 99% certain they are not in print anymore.

The GB must have taken an active decision to discontinue it. I am wondering if it is an implicit acknowledgement that the content was wrong, or what other explanation is there? If the blood brochure was just no longer printed with no replacement what would you think?

BlackSheep - good point - the contents appear online. I am wondering if it is a sanitized version or an exact replica of the print copy. I will try to find a hard copy to check.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Check it against the WTCD

or download it

1989 Should You Believe in the Trinity.pdf ( 6.57MB )

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Now you say it was full of holes, misquotes and shoddy, low-rent journalism?

It is one of the most dishonest pieces of journalism I have ever had the displeasure of dissecting.

• Sulla
    Sulla

The lift a quote from a 19th century American pastor who paraphrased Tertullian, connecting a sentence from Against Praxeus with a sentence from Against Hermogenes with an elipsis. They then asserted the whole thing was a quite from Tertullian.

After that, what else do you need? We're done with it, right?

I actually have had conversations with JWs about this brochure. My favorite discussion ended with the JW agreeing that there were some less-than-proper citation habits in that work and that the translations we actually have of the Early Church Fathers clearly show them to be "proto-Trinitarians," but that he suspected the translations themselves were biased. The discussion had to be paused while he worked through the Rosetta Stone Latin course (for Tertullian) so that he could evaluate the original Latin works.

• Earnest
    Earnest

You can still get this brochure. In what sense is it deceased?

I can confirm that the brochure has not been printed for a number of years and is not obtainable from Bethel (UK).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit