Should I volunteer to help a deaf guy with Schizophrenia few hours a week?

by Iamallcool 14 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

I have a couple of friends who deal with schizophrenia. It would be quite an enjoyable volunteer job, I think. :)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tough break that he is deaf, too. Deafness is also socially isolating.

My son is schizophrenic. I speak to him daily. His voices are sinister and he spends most of his days afraid of imminent harm. The medication only works some of the time. I've become very adept at speaking calmly, separating fact from fiction. I tell him is is very unlikely that the random graffiti was directed at him. I am told that schizophrenics benefit greatly from having friendships and family connections. Trusted friends can be their touchstone to reality.

When my son starts to ramble, I ask, "What? I did not understand that." I make him explain and then deconstruct it as very unlikely. Every day I tell him he is going to be fine. A kind voice in his wilderness.

It is difficult for him to pick up social cues. I have learned from hard experience not to express anger, any strong negative emotion. When I do, he is very distressed and is at a complete loss what he did wrong.

Must watch: http://www.ted.com/talks/elyn_saks_seeing_mental_illness.html

• jgnat
    jgnat

BTW, separate from his disability, my son has a wicked sense of humor and is a kick-ass chess player.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Shirley, you are so kind.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Gracias

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit