Should I volunteer to help a deaf guy with Schizophrenia few hours a week?

by Iamallcool 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Have you ever done it before? Tell me about it. Thanks!

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Do the voices in his head actually speak to him? Or do they use American Sign Language? Or does he see lips move in his head and read said lips?

What? They're valid questions.

• Schism
    Schism

Have you met him? I've worked in healthcare for a while and some schizophrenics are easier to be around than others. Honestly, I would meet him first.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

I wouldn't recommend assisting one that might become dangerous. Deep deep into his medical history before you volunteer.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had exposure to a schizophrenic community. It depends on how serious the illness is. Even severe patients can be functional today. I don't think there is any test. I've known people who still hear voices, even on heavy meds, and they still function. Others are so medicated, the meds impair them.

What would the work entail? Schizophrenics become very socially isolated as a result of the illness and the culture. Other cultures accept schizphrenia. It is accepted as part of the human condition. The Western solution has been to warehouse patients.

You could make a meaningful difference. Frankly, my main concern would be finding out if he has ever acted violently. Only a small percentage of patients act out violently but when they do, WOW. If he has no history of violence, I would give it a try.

It was difficult for me at first b/c of the JW socialization. Long after I stopped believiing in demons, people hearing voices triggers me. I used to run away from them so the demons could not get me. Circumstances forced me to grow up and take it. Now it doesn't bother me at all. Another problem I experienced is that I love quick witted, sharp, bright people. And I've know schizos. who are. B/c of educational disparity, however, most have a Special Education diplomas which don't say much for Special Ed. My problem reveals more about me than it does the patients.

Now you have me thinking of volunteering. I know few situations where you could make such an impact for so little time.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Yes you should Imnotcool, I'm sure the two of you are like two peas in a pod.

• Schism
    Schism

Be careful. As NOLAW said, look at their history. Some of them are dangerous and I'm not saying that to be mean.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Also, consider learning american sign language for effective communication. You may want to start wtih the basics. It will definately help to redirect him or her in case the patient feels agitated. These days, people with schizophrenia have made significant strides in recovery, thanks to team work, family support, peer support, advocacy and medication intervention, many are now leading meaningfu lives unlike before.

Scott77

• Glander
    Glander

Has he had his ass hair waxed? If not, that might be an ice breaker.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Some of these comments are very sad. So you know ASL. Double trouble.. Schizoprhenia is a brain disorder. MRIs confirm the physical trauma to the brain. It involves a thought disorder. I have trouble understanding the concept. There are positive and negative symptoms. Demons and moral character are not issues.

The overwhelming majority of schizophrenics live in mainstream society. They are mental health consumers. One of the symptoms is hearing voices. I fail to see what is so funny about hearing voices. Their brains just process the auditory input differently. A respected medical doctor told me she heard the most beautiful classical music on her radio. Only her radio was turned off. It took a long while to figure out she was experiencing auditory hallucinations. The voices don't have to be Satanic. Many patients recognize that they are hearing voices and that the voices are supplied by their brain. It must be difficult to deal with.

The percentage of patients who are violent is miniscule. It is important to make certain b/c once the violence starts, no constraints are present.

Medication has transformed the illness. Better meds with fewer side effects are needed. It is not funny or illness. It is a fact of being human, as human as cancer or MS. I assume that if an agency is setting you up with this man that they have already checked whether he has ever been violent. I would ask for documentation from them. 99% of the time the patients are too docile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit