Will we ever see another Ray Franz?

by Emery 43 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

At first I thought - NO. Never will another Ray Franz come along.

But after re-consideration over the weekend - I am modifying that to a strong MAYBE.

It would not necessarily have to be a GB member.

I think there are many in high places in this organization who are seeing many things wrong and may be waiting to speak out.

I think, like the house of Ushher, that the cracks are already spreading in the foundation.

BTW - I agree that King Solomon is too drastic in criticisim of Ray Franz. Would he, or you, or I have had the courage to do any better in Ray's situation?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

BTW - I agree that King Solomon is too drastic in criticisim of Ray Franz. Would he, or you, or I have had the courage to do any better in Ray's situation?

I never claimed I would (or could), so your words paradoxically prove my point: Ray was JUST a man, NOT divinely-inspired, just another dude. He was no doubt fooled by being raised in the Borg in a time before the prophecies failed to occur, but he eventually woke up (me, I was in my early teens, and saw the 1975 failure: that helps).

Like I always say, it's hard to know what we'd do at another time in history: if I lived in 17th century (ie before Darwin), I'd no doubt be a theist or agnostic, given my commitment to knowledge. There wasn't as much reason NOT to believe in a God, back then.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Ray was JUST a man, NOT divinely-inspired, just another dude. He was no doubt fooled by being raised in the Borg in a time before the prophecies failed to occur, but he eventually woke up (me, I was in my early teens, and saw the 1975 failure: that helps).

Yes, very true. I did not really know Ray as a person, but I knew Ed Dunlap very well.

For the record, Ed regretted that he had not done more, and done it sooner, before 1975.

I always did have the impression that Ed was sort of the progressive leader of the two, where Ray was the slow, thoughtful, careful, reformer.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Having been out in the "Real World" (unlike anyone sheltered within the glorified world of Bethel), I have been exposed to a breadth of experiences of the ways of men, some inspiring, and some, well treacherous and deceitful (heck, I served in the military, went to college and became a doc, and practiced in a prison amongst other locations: you learn alot of humans if you actually get "in the trenches" with them).

Thing I've found to be true of ALL MEN is that the hardest thing to get a man to accept is that which threatens their livelihood, and hence threatens them and their families ability to survive without changing. Converse of that is, people will deny much just to go along and get along, evening doing so to the inevitable. Heck, look how long everyone denied the CDO/mortgage meltdown until when they absolutely no longer couldn't!

Ray didn't fully accept the nature of Borg's lie until AFTER he was kicked out of the Garden, and forced to find another means of survival: that tends to wake people up...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit