For NFL fans

by jamesmahon 22 Replies latest social physical

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

So I got into the NFL in the early/mid 90s. Back then there were some great running backs - happening onto a Lions game late on Sunday night over here and seeing Barry Sanders was what got me into it. But it seems the running game is dead. Just a load of journeymen and no real stars like they used to be. Everything seems to be about the pass now.

I don't know enough tactically to work it out and have read some comments that this change had happened but without any description I could understand. Can someone tell me why and is it a permanent shift in tactics?

Also, I can't help thinking the game would be better single platoon. Know this would never happen, but think rugby and cricket are better for being single platoon sports. Anyone agree?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The running back has become the most thankless position in the NFL. They have the shortest shelf life. Backs are generally in their prime for only about 5 or 6 seasons, and are basically washed up by the time they are 30.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'single platoon'? If you mean guys playing both sides of the ball, it used to be done that way many years ago.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think it all went downhill because of O.J. Simpson.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the only change I've seen in the last 5 years is the bigger role of the Tight End.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Can someone tell me why and is it a permanent shift in tactics?

People seem to like the pass better than the run game. It makes the game more fast-paced, and makes it more exciting to watch. It leads to more points being scored, which people also like. As a result, the league has gradually changed the rules, making it much more difficult for defenses to stop the pass. Defenders use to be able to put their hands on receivers past the 5 yard mark, but no longer. And the slightest bit of contact is usually called pass interference.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

I did mean players having to play on both sides of the ball. I think there is something about watching how teams balance the skills in one part of a game with their weaknesses in others.

I have noticed there appear to be more pass interference calls - guess that is the reason why. Not sure that it makes the game better to watch though. I think watching a guy jink through a defensive line is one of the best things in the game. Maybe there is a link between the demise of the star running back and the growth in running quarterbacks (which I think is a good thing. Think it is great watching a quarterback like Vick and not knowing what he is going to do. Well, provided it does not involve dogs)

• dinah
    dinah

I miss the running game. There was nothing like seeing Walter Payton break free and run (my age is showing ) Their career life expectancy is short. On a side note, I can't wait to see what Trent Richardson can do this year, although I wish he could have gone to a better team.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I LOVE IT!!!!! I've been A RABID FAN SINCE 78................. and It keeps getting better and better!!!! Ok we have this.... How do we stop this??? With That... How can we get around That ???? With What if...... Ok What if works .... HOW DO WE DESTROY if it works.... With................ It CAN'T Work!!!.................... HOLY SHI*!!!!!!!!!!! It CAN'T WORK...............WORKS!!!!!!! LOL

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Charlie. That is why I like it to. Seeing how teams work out new ways to break down defence. I'm not sure the rules should be changed to favour one way over the other because it is more entertaining though. I'm waiting for a team to use lateral passing consistently and have players taking the contact and offloading to a player on their shoulder as they do in rugby. It is in the rules.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I love running backs. I went to a number of OK Sooner games these last few years and Adrien Peterson is the man!!! Keep an eye on him - he is now with the Vikings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit