'Obey the organization like Moses'--why this is wrong

by sd-7 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dark angle
    dark angle

sd-7,

Thats a good paralellism too! Good analogy. :)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My mom would always remark about the Exodus that the Israelites persoanlly witnesses the wrath of God in the plagues against Egypt and the parting of the Red Sea. It was pretty impressive with Charleton Heston's Cecil B. DeMille version. We were allowed to see it but if it deviated from JW story line we had to cover our eyes on command. How could they possibly resume pagan worship? How many days from the Red Sea parting?

The story is ridiculous. Why did Aaron, a priest, not understand about the idolatry?

When I was a child, I never thought about the origin of who was president of the organization. In my mind, Russell, Rutherford, and Knorr just dropped down from heaven. They had no choice. Their school grades were predetermined. This was childish thinking. Once one assumes they are human, and not angels/demons (and yes, even the GB must sometimes stand naked), the whole authority bs crumbles. The path to power has been documented. Witnesses don't seem to care.

Witnesses believe in magic. They were spanked, probably beaten, had sexual experiences, drank, and much worse. The Pope's path to power is much more transparent and fair. I can understand how a child would believe they dropped from heaven but what excuse does an adult have?

I will NEVER forget my beloved aunt's personal distress when Ray Franz left Bethel. Oh, the pain it caused Brother Franz, called Freddie by everyone else.

The literature is far from subtle. They should hook all Witnesses up to a Skinner box and administer convulsive shock. When I was young, I absolutely believed catching a brother not reading text correctly would cause me to die at Armageddon. Sometimes I wonder if I took it too seriously but, no, they are earnest.

What arrogant hurbis! And all the good Witnesses will line up for more.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And, Moses was trying to lead a nation (Israel) to its new home. First, if you are not an Israelite trying to return to your home, does this even have anything to do with you? Not to mention, the date. Obeying the organization like Moses implies that this home-going is still in progress. It is not.

Suppose the organization makes a mistake. Even an honest one. Would you want to be no better than the leaders because you couldn't spot a mistake on their part and avoid the negative consequences? That seems to be what Jehovah wants--if the leader screws up, everyone is doomed to go down. Those who follow go down because the leader screwed up. Those who sidestepped the mistake of the leader go down because Jehovah hates it when anyone is disobedient. Seems that Jehovah is only interested in your damnation. And that assumes the organization is only making honest mistakes. If they do it on purpose, they lead everyone within to damnation by design, and Jehovah corrals anyone who leaves the organization right into damnation. So much for Jesus.

Also, this is another big strike on Jehovah. When Satan encouraged people to do their own thinking, He tried to give them the ability to avoid this kind of mistakes and corruption on the part of the leaders. The leaders screw up, the people are allowed to fix the error and save themselves. Or, if the leaders dog it and try leading the flock into damnation, the members see it and save themselves while the leaders go alone into damnation. Father Satan thus prevents a few from leading everyone into damnation. Can Jehovah honestly say the same?

• BU2B
    BU2B

Also, Aaron building the calf flies in the face of blind obedience to "GOd appointed athourity". Should the Isrelites have given Aaron the gold to build the idol? He was part of Jehovahs channel after all? What about later? WHen the priests and Kings promoted child sacrifice to Molech, if you believe in Obeying without exeption gods "channel" then you would have joined in with it.

Blind obedience to men, whether Gods "channel" or not is not scriptural.

• myelaine
    myelaine

sd-7 said, " the Governing Body takes credit for providing spiritual 'food at the proper time', asserting that its Watchtower literature is from God and that those who seek to study even the Bible by itself are 'testing God' by saying 'his provisions' aren't enough. But God did not say he would provide additional books beyond the scriptures that would help people understand them better"...

the two-edged sword: the bible + the watchtower magazine.

Haven't they read that the word of God is sharper than any two edged sword that's why it's the go to reference for christian apologists, ex-JW and agnostics when trying to defeat WT doctrines and dogmas.

love michelle

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Aaron & Moses were God's chosen representatives. When Moses was approached by Jehovah, Moses knew that the people would not accept him based on His word alone, so he asked Jehovah for a sign. His words are recorded in Exodus 4:1 "But suppose they do not believe me and do not listen to my voice". apparently Jehovah agreed that this was a Reasonable request, so he responded in Verse 5 "This is so that they may believe that Jehovah the God of their forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob,has appeared to you." Jehovah did not stop there, he gave a second sign verse 8 "“If they will not believe you or pay attention to the first sign, then they will certainly heed the next sign" for Emphasis Jehovah gave still a Third Sign! In Verse 9 we see "Still, even if they will not believe these two signs and refuse to listen to your voice"

From this Passage, it is Clear that Jehovah does not become indignant when his Servants ask for a sign. If the servant humbly asks he readily provides it. (Compare Judges 6:17,Judges 6:36-40 Gideon asked for Three Signs,on 2 different occasions! See Also 2 Kings 20:8-11 Jehovah altered the shadows as a sign for Hezekiah!)

The Gospel accounts are filled with Signs proving that they were Jehovah's chosen representatives (2 Corinthians 12:12, Acts 8:13, Acts 2:22, Acts 14:3, Mark 16:16-17)

Jehovah even felt it beneficial to Announce his Own Son, as someone that we can follow - Luke 9:35 Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying: “This is my Son, the one who has been chosen. Listen to him."

Jehovah has given us many warnings,as well.. (1 Thessalonians 5:21,1 John 4:1,Galatians 1:8,Galatians 1:10,Jeremiah 23:16,Jeremiah 23:33,Proverbs 30:12,2 Corinthians 11:13-15)

Jesus gave us warnings..(Matthew 24:24,Mark 13:22) Jehovah even gives us useful guidelines to follow. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 , Jeremiah 23:6,7 , Matthew 7:15)

Regarding Aaron - As high priest, Aaron was responsible for directing all features of worship at the tabernacle and supervising the work of the thousands of Levites engaged in its service.

His anointing, however, sanctified him to perform not only sacrificial duties for the nation but other duties as well. He was responsible to teach the nation the Word of God. Aaron was responsible to Teach the Nation the word of God, he was also responsible in the Directing the work relating to their Worship.

Now Look at two commands in the Bible - Hebrews 13:17 - "17 Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you+ and be submissive,..."

Exodus 20:23 - "23 You must not make gods of silver alongside me, and you must not make gods of gold for yourselves." Both of these are commands from Jehovah.. so when an appointed servant of Jehovah, whom is taking the lead among you says.. “Take the gold earrings from the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters and bring them to me.” (Exodus 32:2) - What is a Christian to do?

Fortunately Jehovah makes a way out through his word.

1. He blesses us with a Heart that can discern right from wrong. Hebrews 5:14

2. Jeremiah 17:5 -This is what Jehovah says: “Cursed is the man* who puts his trust in mere humans,+ Who relies on human power,*+ And whose heart turns away from Jehovah. (Psalms 118:8 / Isaiah 2:22 )

3. He warns us as well - Romans 2:6 And he will pay back to each one according to his works. / Matthew 16:27 / Ecclesiastes 3:17

We are accountable for our own actions, and following another or being deceived is never an excuse, as is clearly seen at Genesis 3:12 - 13 "12 The man said: “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit from the tree, so I ate.” 13 Jehovah God then said to the woman: “What is this you have done?” The woman replied: “The serpent deceived me, so I ate"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit