'Obey the organization like Moses'--why this is wrong

by sd-7 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sd-7
    sd-7

I was just thinking about how the Watchtower often compares the organization's position to that of Moses. Challenging Moses, in their retelling of the Biblical account, equated challenging God's authority, as Korah, Dathan, and Abiram did, to their own peril. The conclusion we are to gain from this is not to challenge, question, or disagree with the Watchtower Society's teachings even in our private thoughts. I was thinking just yesterday of how problematic their logic is on this issue. Let me explain my take on why that is.

You see, Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, when they first challenged Moses, made the assertion that the entire assembly was holy and that Jehovah was in their midst. Well, the thing is, they were wrong. The entire assembly was, in fact, far from holy, and huge swaths of them were being culled from the ranks repeatedly by God himself, so clearly that wasn't true. In fact, I'll take it a step further and say that not even Moses and Aaron were all that holy; God also culled them from the ranks and prevented them from entering the Promised Land.

I'll say that again, Moses and Aaron died in the wilderness by God's direct order. They died in the wilderness, just the same as those who worshipped the golden calf, the Israelite who was brutally stabbed through his genitals for immorality, those who ate the quail without first giving thanks, and so on. So how could it be said that they were holier? More obedient, perhaps, more patient, but not holier.

Moses lost his right to enter the Promised Land for not giving credit to God where credit was due. Aaron participated in idolatry by building the golden calf; when he was confronted about it, he went so far as to lie about the events that happened, describing the calf as walking out of the fire on its own (which would be a miracle for an inanimate object to do, right?). So, Aaron lost his right to enter the Promised Land, too.

But there is a parallel I see here between Moses, Aaron, and the Governing Body. Just as Moses failed to give credit to God for what was God's work, the Governing Body takes credit for providing spiritual 'food at the proper time', asserting that its Watchtower literature is from God and that those who seek to study even the Bible by itself are 'testing God' by saying 'his provisions' aren't enough. But God did not say he would provide additional books beyond the scriptures that would help people understand them better; holy spirit was supposed to make up for any lack of understanding a person might have.

Aaron made an idol and even built an altar in front of it and proclaimed a festival to Jehovah. The people began to say of the golden calf that it was the God who provided deliverance from Egypt. In a similar way, the Governing Body created 'God's organization' and has declared to all that belonging to the organization is the means God has provided for salvation. The organization's words are taken as God's words, and the Governing Body clearly considers itself beyond questioning and as essentially having authority to design laws in addition to those God made in the Bible whether there's a Biblical basis for it or not. It even says it will help Jesus apply the ransom to mankind in the future. Without a doubt, the concept of 'God's organization' has been fashioned into an idol, into a god in its own right, equal to Jesus, equal to holy spirit, and equal even to God.

So, if we are to obey 'God's organization' as the Israelites were to obey Moses and Aaron, the question remains: what will be the end outcome for this organization, if it is like Moses and Aaron? Wandering in a spiritual wilderness for decades, and eventually dying off without having partaken of the promises. If they want to drink the cup Moses and Aaron drank, then they may not like the taste of what's in it.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

Aw, come on, I'm throwing you gold, man! Back to the top, baby! Back to the Top!

Top Man

--sd-7

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

sd-7....you beat me to the punch. Reading that DC transcript posted earlier, I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING.

It seems a bit foolish for the GB (oh, I mean the F&DS) to compare themselves to Moses...someone who Jehovah saw as unworthy to enter the Promised Land because he essentially had claimed that he was the means of delivering life-giving water.

Of course the GB wouldn't have to worry about that, it's not like they claim that what they produce and distribute is the sole source of life giving....oh, wait....

• glenster
    glenster

Therefore GB law ended with the crucifixion.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

well put sd. I also like to point out when JW's say that God has always had an earthly organization. Which is not true, he had a chosen nation, and he wiped out any nation that got in their way. (Except for the times when he sold them back into slavery for 50, er I mean 70 years, wait, when did that happen again, I know it ends in a 7) He has never done any such thing for JW's.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The Society has sat itself in the seat of Moses, like the Pharisees of old.

Moses had credentials as a prophet, but the Society does not. They claim to be God's channel of communication, but cannot produce a single miracle to prove it. In fact, according to Moses at Deuteronomy 18, the Society has the credentials of a false prophet, because they have spoken with presumption things that did not come true.

The Prophet like Moses that was foretold to come, that is the Greater Moses, was not the Society, but Jesus Christ. Therefore, the Society not only sits in the seat of Moses, but on Christ's throne.

The growing Catholic Hierarchy of the 2 nd and 3 rd century also used the Moses vs Korah story to consolidate power in the bishops. The Society likes to use their playbook on quite a few things. For instance: they believe the Bible alone is not sufficient, one needs Mother. Catholics would agree, only differing who Mother is.

• Ding
    Ding

Not only that, but the GB actually blames its errors on Jehovah, something I don't remember Moses doing.

"The "light gets brighter and brighter" excuse really means that the GB's "adjustments" are supposedly the result of Jehovah only giving them a limited amount of light and understanding in earlier days.

Moreover, JWs who disagree with the organization about anything are warned not to run ahead of Jehovah.

So the GB's errors are not their responsibility; they're Jehovah's.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Sd, the Organization is better than Moses. They have reached all corners of the earth. Why not obey them? Clearly they have Jehovah's blessing. Why are you bitter man?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

sd-7, I love your posts, but you're thinking too hard on this one.

The WTBTS is a fraud and a scam. They're liars and hypocrites more like the Pharisees than Moses.

00DAD

• tec
    tec

It is 'off' for so many reasons, SD, and I enjoyed your post.

A) WE are to look to, follow, and obey CHRIST... not Moses, so making that comparison STILL leaves Christ out of the picture.

B) So stating that people should obey them as Christ, is the same as putting themselves in the seat OF Christ.

C) I would say that they have turned themselves INTO a golden calf, and they are as much a part of 'babylon' as they accuse everyone else of being. (hypocrites)

Moses lost his right to enter the Promised Land for not giving credit to God where credit was due

I think that Moses' sin was against the people, though... (and therefore God, true). But from berating the people and losing patience with them, instead of continuing to love and show patience to them as God does. Moses was a servant of God, and a servant to those who belong to God.

WTS is more like the pharisees who beat the people (as I see 00DAD said). Moses allowed his frustration to cause him to sin, but he is not like the WTS - who really cares nothing for the sheep to begin with, and are not listening to or being led by the spirit of God.

Ding - that was a great point also!

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit