Grammer Fer Idiots

by Farkel 23 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

You're right we often use 's' instead of 'z'. Bloody annoying that spellcheck can't get it. We also pronounce ''z" as zed not zee.

• sd-7
    sd-7

"You speak good English."

"I speak English well."

--British soldier and German soldier, 'War Horse'.

--sd-7

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I have also noticed that in spelling, British(and Australians) prefer 's' while Americans favor 'z'. For e.g.: organiSation vs organiZation, realiSe vs realiZe. Or were they misspellings?

Farkel, Do you have one for non-native English Speaking?

blindnomore, I noticed the difference in them using 's' instead of 'z' also. I thought I must be misspelling the words but I guess there is just a difference in spelling. Interesting.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Cofty: We also pronounce "z" as zed not zee.

In my native Country, we were taught it as 'zed' actually more like 'zet.' No wonder no American understood my 'z.'

Interestingly, we don't have certain English letters in my native tongue. The letter 'z' is one of them. It was chaos when pronunciation 'zee' was indroduced to me. We prounounce 'g' as gee. I still can't prounounce 'zee'. So both 'g' and 'z' = 'gee'

Among other letters along with 'z' that we don't have are: f, r, v, w, x, and y.

Basically, g for g & z(g=g, z), p=p, f, b=b,v, u=u, w, s=s,x, i=i, y etc.

Someone brought figs at the apostefast a couple weeks ago. I said, "oh, pigs! I like pigs." Mr.Flipper, who standing right next to me, was confused by it. It took me a few second to realize what I just did. I immediately corrected myself and said, " I meant 'figs' not 'pigs.' Mr.Flipper was relieved. LOL!

sd-7:"You speak good English." "I speak English well." 'Well' vs 'Good'

good English(o)/ well English(x), English well(O)/English good(x), well done(o)/good done(X) etc, etc. I was taught it depends on how those words were used in sentence. The both words can be used as either adverb or adjective in the sentence. In English sentence, you can not finist it with 'adverb' unless it denotes verb and used as a adverb phrase. For e.g.,

I am happy(o)/ I am happily(x)/ I cry happily(o). You speak good(x)/You speak well(o), You have done well(o)/You have done good(x)/You have done good job(o).

My problem is that in my native laguage, all sentences end with 'verb.' For e.g.: I happily cry. You well speak. You good speak. I job good have done.

OMG! No wonder I am so broken. (I have another 1000 more rules and exceptional of rules to go. Wait! it sounds like Watchtower. )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit