Grammer Fer Idiots

by Farkel 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Ding
    Ding

I thought this thread was going to be about Kelsey Grammer.

• Open mind
    Open mind

farkel: "Ending a sentence in a proposition can get a guy slapped a who bunch of times."

Winston Churchill: (According to urban legen) ""This [fictitious rule] is an impertinence up with which I will not put!"

There's also the other old joke re: ending sentences with prepositions:

So this guy from Texas is up at Harvard, touring the campus.

He's looking for the library..and asks a student" Scuze me..can you tell me where the library is at?"

Harvard dude replies.."Here at Harvard, we don't end our sentences with a preposition."

Texas dude replies.."Fine, can you tell me where the library is at, ASSHOLE?"

Great thread Farkel!

om

• I quit!
    I quit!

Thanks for the entertaining lesson Farkel but I think that they're, there, and their will still come out randomly in my sentances. I mean sentences.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I've passed this on to some of my Web correspondents. They'll all enjoy it.

Quendi

• Stealth
    Stealth

Some people have a way with words, and some people, uh, no have way.

• Farkel
    Farkel

A Corrigendum

When I sent this off to the printers so I could get it posted on this site, I inadvertantly forgot to include two very nifty tips on grammer:

who/whom - "Who" always refers to the subject of a sentence, while "whom" always refers to the object of a sentence. Since no one actually knows what a sentence subject or sentence object is, there is an easier way to remember how to properly use these two words: if you want to sound like a prick, use "whom." Otherwise, use "who."

layed/laid - There is only one usage that is the most important: "I need to get laid." The other usages are for pedants to haggle over.

Farkel

• juni
    juni

That is some funny shit. How about the hanging participle/dangling modifier?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Apologies to JeffT for repeating the Winston Churchill quote.

om

• Farkel
    Farkel

: How about the hanging participle/dangling modifier?

I haven't made much of a study of quantum mechanics, so I don't exactly know what a "participle" is, much less a hanging one.

I do know what a "dangling modifier" is, though. I once bought one for myself at an adult book store, but don't tell my kids that, ok?

Farkel

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Panhandlegirl & Cofty, I have also noticed that in spelling, British(and Australians) prefer 's' while Americans favor 'z'. For e.g.: organiSation vs organiZation, realiSe vs realiZe. Or were they misspellings?

Farkel, Do you have one for non-native English Speaking?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit