Economic rationality, or how ideology has broken our economy.

by JonathanH 22 Replies latest jw friends

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Seriously Bobcat? Does anybody vet their sources?

from globalresearch's "about" page

The Global Research website was established on the 9th of September 2001, two days before the tragic events of September 11. Barely a few days later, Global Research had become a major news source on the New World Order and Washington's "war on terrorism".

In an era of media disinformation, our focus has essentially been to center on the "unspoken truth".

From wikipedia

" the term New World Order or NWO refers to the emergence of a totalitarian one-world government The common theme in conspiracy theories about a New World Order is that a secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government"

I don't care about conspiracy theories. That gave no perspective, but I did learn the new conspiracy theory buzzword "presstitute." So at least there is that. Now can we not discuss New World Order and other junk like that in my topic please?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

is presstitute along the same lines as 'lamestream media'? :P

• james_woods
    james_woods

May I just state that the objective for and reasoning behind this thread are a complete mystery to me.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The spectre of communism hangs in the air James Woods. Its time may have arrived.

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Must everything have an objective? Isn't discussion a healthy and necessary part of being informed citizens? I carry no particular dogma, and I consider myself a-political in that I find our political system to be an odd puzzle to be solved rather than something to actively involve myself in. I would vote and involve myself politically if I found that it could serve a purpose, but I think that both parties are essentially like christianity's ineffeble God, either unwilling or unable to do anything remotely useful for us. Much like theology's involvement in the study of theodicy, there is much debate on exactly why our political system is so ineffectual and who's fault it is. I prefer to take a more holistic approach and look at the over arching picture. Part of that over arching picture is that we have developed a culture that will inevitably lead to the decline of the lower and middle class by giving a free ethical pass to the upper class while scorning the lower class. We have developed a system of cultural ethics that breaks classical economic theory. I don't know what the solution to that is. Just stating that it is a problem.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The spectre of communism hangs in the air James Woods. Its time may have arrived.

Or, it's time may have lapsed with Stalin - however, I don't necessarily think we are discussing communism here.

I still don't know what this is trying to say:

Must everything have an objective? Isn't discussion a healthy and necessary part of being informed citizens? I carry no particular dogma, and I consider myself a-political in that I find our political system to be an odd puzzle to be solved rather than something to actively involve myself in. I would vote and involve myself politically if I found that it could serve a purpose, but I think that both parties are essentially like christianity's ineffeble God, either unwilling or unable to do anything remotely useful for us. Much like theology's involvement in the study of theodicy, there is much debate on exactly why our political system is so ineffectual and who's fault it is. I prefer to take a more holistic approach and look at the over arching picture. Part of that over arching picture is that we have developed a culture that will inevitably lead to the decline of the lower and middle class by giving a free ethical pass to the upper class while scorning the lower class. We have developed a system of cultural ethics that breaks classical economic theory. I don't know what the solution to that is. Just stating that it is a problem.
  • JonathanH
    JonathanH

You're a smart enough person to understand my clearly state thesis, James Woods. Which inclines me to believe what you really mean is that you aren't sure of what it is you need to argue with. Perhaps rather than trying to find something to argue with, you could take it into consideration that our current cultural ethic is slanted against the working poor and use that knowledge to inform future opinions. Perhaps the appropriate response in this instance is just a brief "That's interesting."

• james_woods
    james_woods

So, are you then saying that you want Communism in America?

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

.....holy fuck james woods. Seriously? Have we reached a level of national dialogue that is so simplistically black and white that my discussion on economic theory and cultural ethics has been distilled down to "so....Communism? You are a communist?" I guess there was no talking point on fox news about what to say in a discussion on economic rationality so the gears are grinding trying to figure out what the hell this must be about. I am disapointed in you James Woods, and I am saying that out of a place of respect. I thought you would be able to read that and have some kind of commentary on it beyond the shallowest of political dichotomies. NO I am not saying I want communism in america. Fuck.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

JonathanH:

"Seriously Bobcat? Does anybody vet their sources?"

Here is Paul Craig Roberts' own webpage with his own credentials. He certainly has the experience in government and finance to know what he is talking about. Nevertheless, you are certainly free to take it or leave it.

And as far as I understand his writings, he doesn't believe in a "New World Order." Rather, he compares what Washington is doing now on the world scene with what the French under King Louis and Napolean tried to do in trying to create a new 'continental european system,' somewhat analagous to the concept of the so-called "new world order." And Paul Craig Roberts sees Washington as soon to fail in that endeavor, just as the French did, and sink into an economic quagmire.

And whether you give any credence to Paul Craig Roberts or not, the current economic conditions in the EU and US all line up with what he says in that article.

Incidentally, the term "conspiracy theory" is used to brush off opposing ideas, just like the term "apostate" is used by the Society to brush off any with an alternative view. Even the official government story of 911 is a "conspiracy theory" by definition.

By brushing aside his views simply based on the supposed ideas of the global research web site (which is not his web site, he is simply a contributing writer), you are committing the "genetic fallacy."

Take Care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit