No more 3-day DCs starting in 2013?

by respectful_observer 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Apologies if there is another recent thread on this, but I have heard from 4 different people in 3 different geographic areas (including someone who does advance work for the DCs), that beginning in 2013 the three day DC program will be replaced by a second two-day circuit assembly.

Some people were passing the info along like a secret, others seemed to think that everyone already knew.

If everyone in J-dub Land is already talking about this, how is it not all over this forum??

Anyway, can anyone confirm or deny?

R_O

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

If this is true, all those cities who won't be getting the revenue from the Dubs are going to be pisssssssssed.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

cant be far away, the cost of renting these modern stadiums must be a fortune

• sir82
    sir82

That's hard to imagine - a lot of assembly halls are already filled to capacity, booked every weekend. There just aren't enough openings to allow for an extra 20 or so full weekends of circuit aassemblies per year.

Maybe, several years down the road, they'll be replacing the standard 2000 seat assembly hall with bigger ones, that can hold maybe 5 or 6000, then the idea proposed might work.

I heard a rumor that the assembly hall being constructed in Orangeburg SC, which may be completed later this year, is much bigger than usual.

• carla
    carla

Wait, are you saying there will not be the normal 3 day event but rather two 2 day events and the special ass day too? well, this isn't good news if I understand you correctly.

• Gayle
    Gayle

interesting ro, didn't a couple people on this site stating that in the conclusion of this year's DC, nothing was being said about next summer DCs?

Maybe donations are not any higher for DCs than CAs? After JWs have to spend for hotels/motels, traveling expense, work off, restaurants, may not have any much more to donate afterall? Maybe not much 'profit' in DCs? Afterall, they can release their pamphlets and dvds just as easily at CAs or in two days?

$$$ drying up

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

sir82 - I asked the same question. I was under the impression that the Assembly Halls are used almost every weekend already, but everyone who's mentioned this (all in the last several days) seemed confident that their info was solid. Of course, I can see it now....a building spree of Assembly Halls that will:

A. Add to the WTS Real Estate portfolio

B. Be viewed by/sold to the Rank & File as a sign of "growth and Jehovah's blessing"

C. Be sold as a tremendous "witness" to the communities where they are built.

carla - Yes, it was explained to me that there will no longer be any 3-day "District Conventions; instead the annual program will consist of a single 1-day SAD and two 2-day Circuit Assemblies.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I started one of the threads you metioned. I have NO specific insight or knowledge, it was just a theory based on several ponts... Mostly speculation. I will bump so you can see....

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Thanks elderlite. I actually thought of your thread when it came up for the first time this weekend! I was working in service this weekend with an elder that works on elements of the DC program far in advance made some veiled comment that we wouldn't have to worry about lousy hotels for the DC next year. When I asked if that meant we were moving it to a new location, he said "Well, I really can't say anything about it. I actually stumbled across some information that wasn't intended for me, so I don't want to get ahead of the 'Faithful Slave.'"

A couple of days later, someone (who doesn't know and lives far away from that elder) just came out and said, "Hey, did you hear that they're scrapping the 3-day conventions next year? I guess they decided it's too much of a burden on the friends (hotels, travel, time off). They're going to replace it with a second 2-day at the Assembly Halls. I tried to ask my (substitute CO) cousin. He said couldn't talk about it. When I asked my friends in (another state) if they'd heard anything, they said "Yes, doesn't everyone already know that?"

Still another person who works in the hospitality industry (not a JW) was told by the local DC venue that the JWs had pull out of their contract for next year's DC.

If it is just a rumor, it is wide spread. If it's true, it's now the worst-kept secret in the world.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

They just remodeled the assembly hall that I used to go to. Can't imagine they would be remodeling it again to fit more people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit