Atheists are a cult

by gravedancer 27 Replies latest jw friends

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

ak Mr Farkel,

that is NOT my definition. that is the definition others would put on it. I prefer to look at the fear and mind control aspects of cult definition - therefore my atheism is excluded.

• heathen
    heathen

Gravedancer: you asked why do people believe atheists are a cult and I answered with the official definition of the word .you have since then shown the cult like behavior in insisting that you can change the definition just so you can be right,that would be the expansion of reason that you consider to be the trademark of a cult. I did not miss the point of your original post,therefore consider it insulting that you accuse me of not being your intellectual equal in a debate.I can tell the affiliation with the watchtower has taken it's toll on you,is that brow beating ? Next you will reprove me before all on lookers?I think it's time you sit down and face the facts instead of being a belligerent boob .[>:(]

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Heathen,

Please don't take offense so quickly. I know you are going to think I am pulling a Clinton here but let's look at definitions. There is a dictionary definition - which you cited. Then there is an explanatory definition - which I used (one accepted by experts in the field).

Let's look up the definition of a word in the dictionary. "Golf - A game played on a large outdoor course with a series of 9 or 18 holes spaced far apart, the object being to propel a small, hard ball with the use of various clubs into each hole with as few strokes as possible."

If an alien from space came down and read that dictionary definition from the dictionary do you think she would know what the REAL definition of golf is? Or would they be better served by consulting a golf pro to find out what goldf is about?

Of course if people have used the term "cult" as just a way of saying people that follow or believe certain atheist experts are members of a collective - therefore a cult that makes atheism a cult....go ahead and make me an honorary cult member. That makes the boy scouts a cult, it makes every group a cult...if that the definition you want to play by I am a member of many cults.

On the other hand if you look at the aspects of mind control and fear (which are some of the strongest facets in identifying cults) then we are in for a different ball game.

Gotta run...I have a tee time!!!

• Perry
    Perry

gravedancer said:

Perry, do you accept the definition of the word cult as postulated by West & Langone. I hope so because I look forward to discussing the effects of religion on peoples lives vs the effects of atheism on people's lives. I propose that as soon as we have clearly defined what a cult is that we get into that discussion.
    This is the problem with uneducated athiests: They want to compare apples and oranges. A meaningful discusion could be had discussing athiesm and thiesm. Likewise a meaningful discussion could be had between athiestic ideologies and religion.

But your attempt to compare a cult with athiesm is absurd. Atheism is an undemonstratable position, so is theism. Athiestic ideologies attempt to create a template for behaviour and development just as religion does, a cult can be either athiestic or theistic but will always involve an ideology or a religion.

My well educated athiestic friends always provide provacative discussion on their views and never resort to a scrambling of issues and definitions you present for consideration. Likewise, my Christian friends do the same. Maybe its because we are already friends and don't feel the need to convince each other for some agenda purpose.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Perry,

My well educated athiestic friends always provide provacative discussion on their views and never resort to a scrambling of issues and definitions you present for consideration. Likewise, my Christian friends do the same. Maybe its because we are already friends and don't feel the need to convince each other for some agenda purpose.

Why do you keep on insisting I have an agenda? Are you paranoid?

This is the problem with uneducated athiests
    Thanks for all the digs in trying to infer I am uneducated too...

When you next attend your advanced education class perhaps you might learn to spell the word "atheist" correctly.

• Perry
    Perry

ROFL...... You are proving my theises with more verbose rhetoric.

I never said you had an agenda; however by insisting to attack me and not respond to clear logic causes one to search for answers for the avoidance.

Other that a reference to mispelled words, what have you really offered to pursue truth?

• Perry
    Perry

Eric,

The quote I presented was a synthesis of much of the reasoning that is presented on this board, and not a direct quote from an individual.

It is entirely possible to compare atheistic ideologies and theistic ones. Many athesists here prefer to avoid this kind of rigorous comparison and simply play games that lead one to the erroneous conclusion that athesistic ideologies do not need to be examined beause they essentially do not exist.

Their reasoning goes like this: Because you cannot prove that God does not exist then surely ideologies based on atheism don't exist either.

The complete absurdity in such reasoning does a insurmountable dis-service to more educated atheists who would never stoop to such laughable reasoning.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Perry,

I am not attempting to compare atheism to a cult as you allege. If you go back to the start of this thread you will see where I said that this is what others are trying to do.

By your reasoning being an employee of a company that has an employee manual or a "code of conduct" - are they cults too? Are the police forces around the globe all cults?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit