Atheists are a cult

by gravedancer 27 Replies latest jw friends

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

I have seen that statement quite a bit in the past few days.

Why do people believe that's true?

• Satanus
    Satanus

I would say it can be true in some cases. For instance, i know of a case where someone reasonably sane told a story of his experiences w dousing. It was just a personal story told for entertainment purposes, i suppose. He was pursued by a ghost busters with challenges that he had better get to a lab and prove it. It seemed he had committed a serious sin against the high church of atheism. Maybe that type of thing would fit cultic. Just my opinion.

SS

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Perhpas we all need to agree on a common definition of the word CULT. I propose we use this one:

"A cult is a group or movement exhibiting a great or excessive devotion or dedication to some person, idea, or thing and employing unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control (e.g., isolation from former friends and family, debilitation, use of special methods to heighten suggestibility and subservience, powerful group pressures, information management, suspension of individuality or critical judgment, promotion of total dependency on the group and fear of leaving it, etc.) designed to advance the goals of the group’s leaders to the actual or possible detriment of members, their families, or the community." (West & Langone, 1986)

Acceptable?

• chezza
    chezza

my boyfriend who has never had anything to do with religion of any sort looks at what happened to me with the jw's and says they are a cult, they want to control people lives, and i agree with him now,isnt an atheist someone who doesnt believe? how that be controlling?

• Imbue
    Imbue

GD,
    you said you were too tired. I'll have to answer you in a couple days i'm not able to think right now. I have to much writing to do for uni'

I think you already answered your own question.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• ladonna
    ladonna

Gravy,

All of these esoteric threads of yours are one day going to send you up in smoke

Be ready.......

Is this where you can be found???

Ana

• Perry
    Perry

Yawn

• heathen
    heathen

here is my webster dictionary definitition and why I think atheism is a cult,----- a great devotion to a person idea or thing ,especiallly devotion regarded as literary or intellectual fad. by this definition political parties can be defined as cults.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Perry,

Thanks for your contribution. Its your best post yet. But since that is the best logic (not faith based bullshit) you can offer we understand. It's nice to see your true intellect shine through - thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Heathen,

Ahh you are missing a very key ingredient to cult definition...what do you think it is?

• Perry
    Perry

Yawning more :-0

I'm waiting to see where you are going with this since you abandoned your previous thread that dealt with the exact same issue.

Never mind that you said you would reply to me there, but then did the opposite and simply started a new thread.

So, on the outside chance that an honest exchange will yield some form of actual cognition, I beg the question.....

Your point is?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit