Lifeguard Lopez fired

by bobld 46 Replies latest jw friends

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Rubadub

Absolutely not a fair comparison with fire service or police as the examples you site are presumably within their juridstriction. Would I be happy if my local fire service went 70 miles away to help rescue a man who had set off a load of fireworks in his house leaving us with no cover?

If someone has been told that their primary job is the safety of a particular group of people - in this case the people swimming in the safe part of the beach - then that responsibility comes before all else. Just out of interest, if someone had died in the safe part of the water whilst he was with this man then who would have been responsible? Or would it have just been one of those things? Because if it was one of my family you bet I would look to prosecute both the idiot who went swimming in the area marked as being unsafe and the lifeguard for deriliction of duty. Duty and responsibility is a bitch sometimes but if you are unable to make those calls when they come then don't take the job.

The criticism I would have of the company is why they did not have at least two lifeguards on. I thought that would be standard practice.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I bet you there is a reason for these firings - and I have a sinking feeling its tied to the over-litigating society we live in. A heroic life guard steps away from his/her tower to save a child outside his/her jurisdiction. Meanwhile someone else, simultaneously, within the lifeguard's jurisdiction gets into trouble (nothing serious, but really scary) and lawsuits start-a-flying.

Same reason why some emergency room doctors will let a patient die rather than perform a last-ditch procedure. If the patient dies, out come the lawyers and then everyone suffers.

MMM

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

It is very sad that some people can't see that a LIFE is more important than a RULE.

Of COURSE you break a rule to save a life. How is that even a question?

• besty
    besty

A gull in distress, but going into pond too risky for 25 firemen

A fire brigade has defended its protocol after sending five crews to rescue a stricken seagull from a shallow pond in South London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9199530/A-gull-in-distress-but-going-into-pond-too-risky-for-25-firemen.html

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The problem in the Lopez case is liability. If a lifeguard leaves the area the company is contracted to guard, and something bad happens, the company is held liable. Lopez did the right thing, but the company had to fire him for it. We live in a very litigious society. A lifeguard watches you drown because the lawyers will raid his employer if he tries to save you.

• designs
    designs

That's why you have Liability insurance.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

And to get it you often need to comply with standards set out by the insurer.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Somebody on TV mentioned the fact that it may be a crime to just stand by without rendering aid if you were available.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

James Woods. I think I have heard something similar although I think it would be hard to prosecute such a case.

Just out of interest, if someone had got into trouble and died in the part of the beach the guy was in charge of, would it have been fair to bring criminal (possibly manslaughter) charges against

• The company for having insufficient lifeguards on duty
    • The lifeguard for deriliction of duty
    • The swimmer who had chosen to slim in the 'do so at your own risk' part of the beach?

Or should no criminal charges be brought?

• SadElder
    SadElder

Here is the response to my inquiry sent to me from the City Manager. Apparently he did the right thing per her comments about City Policy. Seems like a nice kid. Glad he told Jeff Ellis Company to go away after they offered him his job back.

Thank you for contacting the City of Hallandale Beach regarding the beach incident that occurred on July 2, 2012. I am in close contact with Jeff Ellis of Jeff Ellis Management who has started a full investigation into the termination of their lifeguard. The lifeguard is not a City employee, but was employed by Jeff Ellis Management, a private company contracted to provide lifeguard services for two city-owned beaches and the Municipal pool. Jeff Ellis Management has committed to the City that if the lifeguard was terminated in haste, the company would move expeditiously to reinstate his employment.

It has always been the City’s policy that if there is an actual emergency inside or outside of the protected area, the lifeguard must respond. We do however have to ensure that certain safety protocols are followed to ensure the safety of all visitors to the City of Hallandale Beach. At this time, the City is awaiting the facts of the termination and the results of our internal inquiry and the Ellis Management investigation. Once the City has the results of the investigation, we can make an informed determination on the future of the relationship with this management company.

The City Hallandale Beach truly values your concerns and comments on this issue. The safety of our Beach patrons and the manner in which this service is provided is paramount to the City. We are moving swiftly to address the situation.

Renee C. Crichton

City Manager

City of Hallandale Beach

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit