In case anyone is wondering why the Toronto Star reporter mixed up my website with JWN, here's the answer. Sorry Simon!

by AndersonsInfo 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1220527--landmark-u-s-verdict-against-jehovah-s-witnesses-may-prompt-canadian-sex-abuse-lawsuits

Barbara Anderson , a former Jehovah’s Witness who worked at the Watchtower, runs a website called WatchtowerDocuments.com from her Tennessee home. She told the Star that since the Conti ruling, her 10,000-member discussion board, which includes many Canadians, has lit up with people telling their own stories of abuse and wanting to know how to pursue action.

In a hurried interview with Ms. Gillis, I told her about Canadians expressing themselves about the Conti case and sent her a link to one of the threads on JWN where a discussion was underway. I also told her that through my own website I was receiving many stories of abuse including some from Canadians wanting to know how to pursue action. Afterwards I sent her the links to both websites, plus, gave her contact information for many people she could interview for the article.

Somehow or the other, the reporter became confused when she wrote her story and now www.watchtowerdocuments.com is my 10,000-member discussion board that many Canadians frequent.

Too bad about the mix-up, but it's easy to understand why it happened. For the reporter it's too much information; too little understanding of the JW religion; too little time to put together an article before publication. My sympathy goes out to all the sincere reporters I've spoken to throughout the years, most of whom found it difficult to understand the obscure and often confusing issues related to the JW religion, and then try to sort through the maze of information received in interviews with people like me and then write a comprehensible article. I know that I'm not alone in expressing my appreciation for all they have done during the past ten years to help us expose Watch Tower leaders' deceitful cover-up of child abuse that is now an enormous blight on the JW religion.

A special thanks goes to reporter, Wendy Gillis, for her overall excellent article in the Toronto Star, yesterday, about the recent,

"...astounding $28 million jury verdict in favor of an Oakland, Calif., woman [Candace Conti] who was sexually molested as a child by a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses, whose national policy was to keep sex-abuse allegations secret." (As stated in an article, "Deadlocked or not, the priest sex-abuse jury did its job" by reporter Ronnie Polaneczky published in the Philadelphia Daily News on June 21, 2012.)

Barbara

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I and others have posted links to the article on other threads (as well as recommended it on Facebook). It was a particularly good write-up, despite the small gaffe.

• life is to short
    life is to short

That was truly a great article Barbara. Thanks for your hard work in getting the story in the paper. I know how hard it is as I have been trying where I live and no luck at all. Frustrating.

The reporter did a great job.

LITS

• mouthy
    mouthy

Great write up Barb ....even with the muck up by the reporter.
    Your do a remarkable Job!!!!! Thank God for you ( I do) Barb & Joe

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Sometimes things happen for a reason... I know that when I was still stuck in the JW mentality trying desperately to get reinstated the first site that I came across and actually read was Barbara's story on her website. It was so unbelievably compelling that I actually wrote her an email explaining our plight. I wasn't alarmed that she was this 'big bad apostate' because her words had the distinct ring of truth.

It was only after reading Barbara's story and also that of Frank Kavelin that I even ventured near the JWN board. Honestly, this site scared me for a good long while.

So what I'm saying is the mix-up may do some real good if people reading the article follow up and visit Barbara's site. I know I personally sent the article to my JW mother, my sister and I am also going to share it with my ex. My husband is also sending it to his JW mother.

You just never know!

• yalbmert99
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Maybe you could consider putting a disclaimer on page 1 of your site for a week: The 10,000 member discussion board mentioned in ...... is really jehovahs-witness.net.

Or not.

• sf
    sf

Well, I think it's the best snafu that could ever happen!

As you will read in most of my comments re: this case... all the 'chatter' it has caused and effected on this forum (NETWORK) and other SOCIAL NETWORKS (not limited to FB, TWIT), is percisely what is NEEDED. MEDIA AND THE OUTSIDE NEED TO WITNESS THESE DISCUSSION, DEBATES AND THE LIKE. In order to become aware of the magnitude of this org...that it isn't just some fringe religion or 'small' sect/ cult. That it is indeed, one of the most corrupt organizations that have lasted in America for over 100 years now...and counting. Therefore....

I'd like to think of it as an absolute plus+.

I'm pretty sure Simon isn't stressin' over this doll.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

The only minus is that Simons URL was not included. Any way we can remedy this in print from the writer? If not, we can certainly include the link through posted comments on the sites discussion forum, if they have one. And if they don't have one.....

you get my drift girl.

sKally

• Simon
    Simon

No worries Barb - keep up the good work that we all appreciate

• sf
    sf

SEE!!!

Hiya Simon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest